questions about resume Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
xqhp82

Bronze

questions about resume

Post by xqhp82 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:01 pm

I have some (possibly stupid) questions here....

1.Should I include my thesis if I'm only just starting to write it in my final year?
2.is it a must to include number of hours and how often i participate in the activites?
3.If I'm employed since october 2009, but due to some problem over my working permit I cannot start working until october 2010, should i mention this in the resume?
4.should i put a "personal interests" section in the end? in Ann Levine's book she suggests to add a 'travel' section if suitable, can i put travelling as part of personal intersts and how detailed does it have to be?
5.can i put cooking under my interests (and without further elaboration)?
6.what else can i put under "skills' besides languages? (does first-aid count as well...)

Kretzy

Silver

Re: questions about resume

Post by Kretzy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:07 pm

1. Yes. Theses look better when attached to honors (i.e. Distinction in your major, or an academic prize) but are good as a stand-alone addition to your resume.

2. Nopers. Just general dates (month and year).

3. A little trickier. I suggest you include that you'll tentatively be starting a job in Oct. 2010, with no mention of the other date, and briefly describe it.

4. I did this, "Special Interests and Accomplishments." I'd make it 2-3 lines. I included things like hiking, kayaking, marshalling a protest, and winning an intramural championship in college. Fun stuff :)

5. Yes. Give a region or cuisine if you want to give more info, since lots of folks put "cooking."

6. First-aid, activities (the outdoors, darts, sewing, etc.). It's a way to make you seem like more than just a compendium of activities.

Hope that helps :)

remotelyfeasible

New

Post by remotelyfeasible » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:11 pm

If this is for applying to law school, I agree with the above.

If this is for applying to a job,the calculus changes. (Mostly in terms of what sort of things you should include or omit from a resume.)

xqhp82

Bronze

Post by xqhp82 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:13 pm

Thanks Kretzy - that is really helpful!

for the skills part, is it awkward if i only list out 3 languages and suddenly followed by First aid? i can't think of any other skills i have! well i can also sew but do law schools really care?

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:17 pm

xqhp82 wrote:Thanks Kretzy - that is really helpful!

for the skills part, is it awkward if i only list out 3 languages and suddenly followed by First aid? i can't think of any other skills i have! well i can also sew but do law schools really care?
No problem! I'd do it like this (as an example):

Activities and Special Accomplishments
Languages: German (proficient), Gaelic (conversational)
Wilderness First Aid Response Certified
Avid hiker, kayaker, and runner; professional darts player

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”