Um.... is it worth the flight Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sophia.olive

Silver

Um.... is it worth the flight

Post by sophia.olive » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:40 am

HI,
quick question.
Im in china and the only place to go for the lsat is Beijing for june and december. I can fly to taiwan or hong kong and take the october one, but i would rather not fly right before the test. Is it worth it for the earlier date? Would it make that much of a difference in my cycle if I have everything in, in October as opposed to December.
I want to apply as early as possiable but i dont want to fly to "another country" and take the test.
Some background, I'm a black male 3.3 170, 166 (the second time). So im taking it a third time in asia. I practice around 176 so i beilve i can make a much better score just want to know if that score in october instead of december is worth the flight and potential destractions?

Baloo

New

Re: Um.... is it worth the flight

Post by Baloo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:58 am

I'd more question whether or not you'd still be able to achieve the 176 with all the distractions of flying and getting set up. But yes, being able to submit your app in October vs December makes a huge difference. This year's application cycle is a great indication of that point. A significant number of people were accepted, rejected, etc. within the first month or two of the application cylce (so decisons were rendered by November, December). I can't say whether or not it's worth the risk of scoring lower due to distractions and the $ of flying, but, as I see it and through my experience, applying in October vs December can make a big difference. You have to figure that by December most people who are actively and aggressively applying to law school will have most, if not all, of their applications submitted. Assuming you'll be applying to some top tier programs, those are the people you'll be "competing" with (I hate to say it's a competition). Best to have a head start if you can. Good luck.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:06 am

URM with a 170. I feel like a 3rd test isn't entirely necessary. Feel free to correct me here.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:10 am

Bedsole wrote:URM with a 170. I feel like a 3rd test isn't entirely necessary. Feel free to correct me here.
Depends on his goals, with his LSAT at a 170 and being a black AA he is right on the border of being admitted into HLS.

With a 173+ paired with a 3.3 he's got a great shot at Harvard, so I'd advise preparing hard for the June... as for December, applying early helps a lot, but a lot of URM decisions come later in the cycle anyways so it might not be too bad to have a application in a little later.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:48 am

Thank you for your help.

I'm hoping for t14 with some money. I am debt adverse.
June would be to early for me, i have to have my lsat material sent to me and i dont have the money right now. Also im running around like crazy and cant get in some good study time for june.
I was thinking that if i had everything in as early as possiable, including my current lsat and gpa, I could have them wait until december to consider me. so it wont be like im applying in december, there will just be an additional score coming in. I really have issues with anxiety. During the first two tests my hand shaked for the first two sections (maybe i should pick up meditation :). So i want to make myself as comfortable as i can, meaning taking the test in the city im living in. But maybe i should just suck it up and go to hong kong or taiwan. thank you for talking this through with me and additional comments would be appreciated.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:41 am

Take the October test in Beijing. Most schools' apps aren't available until then anyhow, and applying early isn't something about which you need to worry. You're going to get in almost everywhere short of HLS with the score you have now, so you're really only angling for more money, which isn't decided until the spring anyhow.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”