Unemployed Appreciation Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
zozin

Gold

Unemployed Appreciation Thread

Post by zozin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:38 pm

I want to thank each and every one of you who applied to LS after you lost your jobs. GPA 25th & 75th percentiles are up across the T14, and while the difference isn't much, it's still there. I'm glad that people that graduated UG years ago made this and upcoming cycles worse for recent graduates. Give yourself a pat on the back.

/s

GPA: 3.56/3.865 has become 3.6/3.875
LSAT: 167.14/172 has become 167.43/172.07

remotelyfeasible

New

Re: Unemployed Appreciation Thread

Post by remotelyfeasible » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:40 pm

LOL, because this years' grads "deserve" those spots at good law schools, despite their inferior numbers?

I don't understand this.

zozin

Gold

Post by zozin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:48 pm

remotelyfeasible wrote:LOL, because this years' grads "deserve" those spots at good law schools, despite their inferior numbers?

I don't understand this.
What is there to misunderstand? Current grads have the same numbers as they've always had in years prior. What raises the percentiles are more people applying, specifically those unable to find a job, thus making schools far more selective.

remotelyfeasible

New

Post by remotelyfeasible » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:14 pm

zozin wrote:What is there to misunderstand? Current grads have the same numbers as they've always had in years prior. What raises the percentiles are more people applying, specifically those unable to find a job, thus making schools far more selective.
Okay. So numbers are slightly higher for all law schools this year.

You're just looking to blame unemployed people for the fact you got into a marginally worse school? That is weak. A 2010 grad has no more right to get into any given school than an unemployed earlier grad.

OrcinusOrcas

New

Post by OrcinusOrcas » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:17 pm

It may be true that those who lost their jobs contributed to the rise in applicants, but you can't blame them for...what, applying to law school? Are you seriously blaming a group of people who got laid off for trying to do something with their lives and careers? If you're going to blame anyone, blame the assholes who caused this shitstorm economy and caused all the job loss in the first place. I get the feeling getting fired or downsized and returning to school after already establishing a career is not exactly a cake walk (I'm a recent grad, I wouldn't know). We have no more claim to spots in law school than those who lost their jobs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zozin

Gold

Post by zozin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:19 pm

remotelyfeasible wrote:
zozin wrote:What is there to misunderstand? Current grads have the same numbers as they've always had in years prior. What raises the percentiles are more people applying, specifically those unable to find a job, thus making schools far more selective.

You're just looking to blame unemployed people for the fact you got into a marginally worse school? That is weak. A 2010 grad has no more right to get into any given school than an unemployed earlier grad.
I haven't applied yet, planning on doing it in the fall. Having to compete with additional people who hold an edge over 2010 grads is weak.

remotelyfeasible

New

Post by remotelyfeasible » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:21 pm

zozin wrote:I haven't applied yet, planning on doing it in the fall. Having to compete with additional people who hold an edge over 2010 grads is weak.
A fractional increase in admissions standards isn't going to be the difference between a successful legal career and a life of abject poverty.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:22 pm

zozin wrote:
remotelyfeasible wrote:LOL, because this years' grads "deserve" those spots at good law schools, despite their inferior numbers?

I don't understand this.
What is there to misunderstand? Current grads have the same numbers as they've always had in years prior. What raises the percentiles are more people applying, specifically those unable to find a job, thus making schools far more selective.
I am an older student, employed at the present time, and have been at all times since graduating college [whenever that was], and I am going back to school. Are you insinuating that since I didn't go to law school fresh out of undergrduate that I should not have applied to law school as I should have shut the door on pursuing a legal career years ago so as to make it easier for you to get into a highly competitive field?

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:24 pm

zozin wrote:
remotelyfeasible wrote:

I haven't applied yet, planning on doing it in the fall. Having to compete with additional people who hold an edge over 2010 grads is weak.
Why is it "weak?"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:25 pm

remotelyfeasible wrote:
zozin wrote:I haven't applied yet, planning on doing it in the fall. Having to compete with additional people who hold an edge over 2010 grads is weak.
A fractional increase in admissions standards isn't going to be the difference between a successful legal career and a life of abject poverty.
But It might be different between choosing between Harvard and Stanford versus choosing between UMich and UVA. The new numbers definitely make me regret my 3.6ish gpa more and more.. next cycle will be a disaster for people with <3.8.

eldizknee

Bronze

Post by eldizknee » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:26 pm

Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zozin

Gold

Post by zozin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:28 pm

Bert wrote:
zozin wrote:

I don't understand this.
I am an older student, employed at the present time, and have been at all times since graduating college [whenever that was], and I am going back to school. Are you insinuating that since I didn't go to law school fresh out of undergrduate that I should not have applied to law school as I should have shut the door on pursuing a legal career years ago so as to make it easier for you to get into a highly competitive field?
No, because people with your situation make up a smaller of actual applicants, and most likely didn't contribute to this year's rise in #s.

climbintolaw

New

Post by climbintolaw » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:33 pm

Life experience and maturity are valuable. Law Schools have a larger pool of applicants from which to choose. It's the same for all of us. Deal with it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zozin

Gold

Post by zozin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:35 pm

climbintolaw wrote:Life experience and maturity are valuable. Law Schools have a larger pool of applicants from which to choose. It's the same for all of us. Deal with it.
I'm well within my right to bitch and moan about it. Deal with it.

waitingforanswers

New

Post by waitingforanswers » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:42 pm

zozin wrote:
climbintolaw wrote:Life experience and maturity are valuable. Law Schools have a larger pool of applicants from which to choose. It's the same for all of us. Deal with it.
And eveyone else is well within their right to call you out for being ridiculous.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:45 pm

So, your argument then is that unemployed people shouldn't seek to obtain further education which may or may not help them to become functioning members of society again, because it makes it harder for you to obtain the same education.

I haven't checked all of the numbers, but I would assume that across the board applications are up (i.e. applications from current undergraduate students, unemployed people, employed people, graduate students getting even more education, etc.). The increase in applications from each of these groups are making it harder for you, not just unemployed people returning to school. Yes, the unemployeds may be contributing to the problem, but so are the people who have just completed there undergraduate education.

MDPSteve

New

Post by MDPSteve » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:48 pm

zozin wrote:
Maybe you should put off law school for a few years, gain some experience, then try when admission standards ease up... hey, if you're lucky you might even get laid off to help with your PS. :?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zozin

Gold

Post by zozin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:52 pm

Bert wrote:So, your argument then is that unemployed people shouldn't seek to obtain further education which may or may not help them to become functioning members of society again, because it makes it harder for you to obtain the same education.

I haven't checked all of the numbers, but I would assume that across the board applications are up (i.e. applications from current undergraduate students, unemployed people, employed people, graduate students getting even more education, etc.). The increase in applications from each of these groups are making it harder for you, not just unemployed people returning to school. Yes, the unemployeds may be contributing to the problem, but so are the people who have just completed there undergraduate education.
I'm not saying what people should or shouldn't do. I'm looking at the numbers, and they've increased, most likely because of the unemployed going back to school, or also due to the reasons you enumerated.

I'm pissed that it's happening now. While our numbers might have gotten us into T14 years prior, it isn't the case anymore. Furthermore, not only are these people flooding applications, they also hold an edge due to work experience.

askhos

New

Post by askhos » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:59 pm

The problem seems to be that the proportion of people who graduated college years ago that are applying now has risen compared to the proportions of the past, and that's what the OP is upset about. I can sympathize with her to a point for that.

Then again, since the increases in GPA and LSAT scores are not that much, I'm not sure how huge of a change it has made being admitted somewhere. It probably affects the those at the fringe than those near the median.

zozin

Gold

Post by zozin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:15 pm

askhos wrote:The problem seems to be that the proportion of people who graduated college years ago that are applying now has risen compared to the proportions of the past, and that's what the OP is upset about. I can sympathize with her to a point for that.

Then again, since the increases in GPA and LSAT scores are not that much, I'm not sure how huge of a change it has made being admitted somewhere. It probably affects the those at the fringe than those near the median.
It affects splitters, and that's all I care about. :cry:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”