Any particular hairstyle law firms look for? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kalvano

Diamond

Re: Any particular hairstyle law firms look for?

Post by kalvano » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:51 pm

notanumber wrote:
kalvano wrote:If you can buy it at Brooks Brothers, chances are it's appropriate for work.
As, for example:
--ImageRemoved--
:lol:

But seriously: No douchebag hair. Ties should fit your frame and compliment your jacket lapels (IMHO the tie on mb88's 1st example is too wide, but no offensively so, his 2nd example makes me feel sad for humanity).

And don't dress like Prince Edward in Glen plaid and double-breasted suits during work unless you're royalty or a named partner.

What the hell is that?

Jesus. He should be punched in the face for wearing that.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:09 pm

kalvano wrote:
What the hell is that?

Jesus. He should be punched in the face for wearing that.
At least he has the right hair though.

PS. I liked your last avatar better, that girl was smoking hot

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:13 pm

adh07d wrote:At least he has the right hair though.

PS. I liked your last avatar better, that girl was smoking hot

His hair looks like does a handstand and dips his head into a vat of gel.

I switch avatars a lot. I'll find another one more to your liking soon, I'm sure.

bigchris1313

New

Post by bigchris1313 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:15 pm

notanumber wrote:And don't dress like Prince Edward in Glen plaid and double-breasted suits during work unless you're royalty or a named partner.
Of course, had I posted a picture of Edward in morning dress, you'd be singing a very different tune. :mrgreen:

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:18 pm

bigchris1313 wrote:
notanumber wrote:And don't dress like Prince Edward in Glen plaid and double-breasted suits during work unless you're royalty or a named partner.
Of course, had I posted a picture of Edward in morning dress, you'd be singing a very different tune. :mrgreen:

Forget about "judicial activism," or "overly-expansive views of presidential authority," or other such trifles. Elena Kagan's abandonment of morning dress should immediately disqualify her potential nomination.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ausoccer19

New

Post by ausoccer19 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:28 pm

Another rule of thumb that has generally held true and aligns with both generational and traditional style: the widest part of the tie should be about the same as the widest part of the lapel. If the lapel on your suit is 3" wide, your tie should be pretty close to this. A 3 1/2" lapel with a 2 1/2" wide tie will look disproportioned, and vice versa. The widths should match closely to maintain proportion. This is not to say you should try to find a suit with 1 1/2" or 2" lapels just so you can wear a skinny tie, but a skinnier tie of 2 1/2" or so is usually fine so long as it reflects or complements the proportions of the suit. If you notice the above pictures, their ties are very broad, as are their lapels. Obviously, this is not as stylish today, at least for people under 40, so keep that in mind.

Also, the width of the tie does depend somewhat on body type, as does the collar. Skinnier ties naturally look more fitting on someone of a smaller stature. Not to say that the person who posted above at 5'7" has a small stature, thats somewhat average, but depending on height/weight proportion, the tie should width should vary accordingly. The skinnier you are, the skinnier you can afford your tie to be (though anything less than 2 1/2" is seldomly justified). Similarly, if you have a wider or rounder face, the a wide-spread collar is suggested to keep the proportion. Similarly, if you have a skinny face, a narrow collar is called for to reflect your features. To avoid conflict though, play it safe for an interview, and once you have the job you can somewhat push the boudaries of personal style while staying moderately conservative.

bigchris1313

New

Post by bigchris1313 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:46 pm

ausoccer19 wrote:Similarly, if you have a wider or rounder face, the a wide-spread collar is suggested to keep the proportion. Similarly, if you have a skinny face, a narrow collar is called for to reflect your features.
I've seen arguments go both ways regarding collar type v. face shape. I used to believe as you did, and I was a firm proponent of spread collars for my own use because of my large elliptical face, as I believed in maintaining a proper sense of scale (larger collars for larger men); however, now I'm not so sure. I feel as if too many spread collars, particularly when paired with a half-windsor knot, exacerbate the size of a large head (mine included). In a bid to test the other end of the spectrum, I have dabbled in point collars from time to time. At present I've been wearing conservative, smaller spreads with four-in-hands with good success. But I often long for the clean look of a simple point collar to complement my sizable cranium, no matter how counter-intuitive it seems.

Oh well. Need more data...

bigchris1313

New

Post by bigchris1313 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:48 pm

ausoccer19 wrote:Another rule of thumb that has generally held true and aligns with both generational and traditional style: the widest part of the tie should be about the same as the widest part of the lapel. If the lapel on your suit is 3" wide, your tie should be pretty close to this.
+1

mayosmith

Bronze

Post by mayosmith » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:30 pm

Is there any particular face shape that firms look for?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:35 pm

RudeDudewithAttitude wrote:That haircut makes me want to punch you in your face and it reminds me of this quote:

"I like hair gel because it allows me to spot a**holes from a distance."
--Demetri Martin
+1. Like wearing camo or driving a Hummer.

OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:48 pm

The great tie debate has made me really happy I am female and don't quite have that problem. :)

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:51 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
chrisbforever wrote:In between applying to law school (currently in the process right now), waiting for decisions and hoping to start in September 2011, i'm going to apply for a few legal research, paralegal type jobs. Anyway, currently I do the gel in the hair, semi spike thing:

or more

not me btw.

I think law firms look for the more conservative look, so now i'm thinking of going for a more "colbert" hairstyle, combed to the side kind of thing. I'm probably over analyzing the hair thing, but any suggestions?
Matriculating at Hofstra or Touro?
I was thinking Seton Hall.

OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:29 pm

mayosmith wrote:Is there any particular face shape that firms look for?
I sure hope not. :shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:53 am

OmbreGracieuse wrote:
mayosmith wrote:Is there any particular face shape that firms look for?
I sure hope not. :shock:
Sure. It's the one that says "I'm so ugly, fat, and trollish that I actually want to stay at my desk sixteen hours daily so as to avoid the ritualized embarrassment of going to clubs and getting rejected."

OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:43 am

TipTravHoot wrote:
Sure. It's the one that says "I'm so ugly, fat, and trollish that I actually want to stay at my desk sixteen hours daily so as to avoid the ritualized embarrassment of going to clubs and getting rejected."
That then excludes any attractive people who maybe love the money and chase of the game, no? Not everyone has to be fat and trollish, nor does everyone who wants to be a lawyer have to want to spend 16 hours a day at a desk.

SuperFreak

New

Post by SuperFreak » Thu May 27, 2010 9:06 am

What about going bald?

MD/JD2B

Bronze

Post by MD/JD2B » Thu May 27, 2010 9:56 am

A conservative hairstyle is appropriate with the right tye-dye shirt or sport coat. For ties check out either Garcia or Gaultier. You'll be interviewing with people my age and we like that removable moxy. And for god sake's know how to tie a tie and its appropriate length. Almost no normally shaped person can get by with a double Windsor anymore.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SuperFreak

New

Post by SuperFreak » Thu May 27, 2010 10:02 am

MD/JD2B wrote:A conservative hairstyle is appropriate with the right tye-dye shirt or sport coat. For ties check out either Garcia or Gaultier. You'll be interviewing with people my age and we like that removable moxy. And for god sake's know how to tie a tie and its appropriate length. Almost no normally shaped person can get by with a double Windsor anymore.
What do you prefer to see on short black man enter an interview with?

I'm not going to say I'm short or black, but I think this gets down to the essence of what exactly law firms are looking for.

MD/JD2B

Bronze

Post by MD/JD2B » Thu May 27, 2010 10:35 am

to Super Freak:
Law firms like to see a short man of color enter with tall women of the same color. Outfits for the men need not be identical for the man and the women, but the women should be identically dressed, and to the hilt.

Perseus_I

Bronze

Post by Perseus_I » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:01 pm

Reviving this rather than making a new one.

When I grow my hair long enough to part, it looks terrible because of cowlicks, uneven growth, etc. I always wear the "high and tight" military style with a medium fade. That means it's super short (though not skin-shaven) on the sides and tapers to a slightly longer length on top. Is this ok for OCI?

EDIT: Why was this not in the legal employment forum?

howlery

Bronze

Post by howlery » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:22 pm

What does one do with coarse or curly hair? Should I invest in a wig?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:27 pm

Whatever looks good on you.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:43 pm

What sort of festooning is appropriate for a wooden leg?

HuskyHopeful1

New

Post by HuskyHopeful1 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:53 pm

chrisbforever wrote:In between applying to law school (currently in the process right now), waiting for decisions and hoping to start in September 2011, i'm going to apply for a few legal research, paralegal type jobs. Anyway, currently I do the gel in the hair, semi spike thing:

or more

not me btw.

I think law firms look for the more conservative look, so now i'm thinking of going for a more "colbert" hairstyle, combed to the side kind of thing. I'm probably over analyzing the hair thing, but any suggestions?

I sincerely hope this thread is a joke...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”