what role does UG play.. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
inthefuture

New

what role does UG play..

Post by inthefuture » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:54 pm

Does a UG student have a better chance of getting accepted to that school's law school? Or are students from all schools at the same acceptance percentage?

flcath

Silver

Re: what role does UG play..

Post by flcath » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:07 pm

inthefuture wrote:Does a UG student have a better chance of getting accepted to that school's law school? Or are students from all schools at the same acceptance percentage?
It would be impossible to use statistics to sort actual preferences from self-selection, so you'd have to go on statements from adcomms to prove this.

FWIW, I've asked this question at my UG's (a state school) law school and the LS I'm attending (a private school with a top 20 foundation), and they both say that there's no benefit other than a highly decreased likelihood of YP, if you were in that range.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:46 pm

flcath wrote:
inthefuture wrote:Does a UG student have a better chance of getting accepted to that school's law school? Or are students from all schools at the same acceptance percentage?
It would be impossible to use statistics to sort actual preferences from self-selection, so you'd have to go on statements from adcomms to prove this.

FWIW, I've asked this question at my UG's (a state school) law school and the LS I'm attending (a private school with a top 20 foundation), and they both say that there's no benefit other than a highly decreased likelihood of YP, if you were in that range.
What two schools said this? I have never heard a single school admit to YP, so that is very interesting.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:49 pm

Unitas wrote:
flcath wrote:

What two schools said this? I have never heard a single school admit to YP, so that is very interesting.
Yeah, the exact wording (and my UG was more clear on this than my LS, though they suggested the same thing in a much more subtle manner):

Question from kid at my UG's "come to the LS and ask the adcomms a bunch of shit" day:
"Does it help us at all applying here that we're from [this undergrad]?"

Answer from adcomm who is also prof:
"Um, no, not directly. I do think that we (the adcomms) think we are more likely to get you to come here if you're accepted since you're from the state, and I think that makes us more comfortable offering an acceptance."

So not a slam-dunk for a YP reference, but pretty close.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”