Admissions Process Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LJackson

New

Admissions Process

Post by LJackson » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:05 pm

I am planning on applying next Fall for the 2011 cycle. I have been looking into the application process at a number of schools and a few things are concerning me:

1. LOR: While I get decent grades in my classes, I am not particularly close with any of my professors. I do know quite a few faculty members on a personal basis through work but not in any academic sense.
2. Personal Statement: I am having trouble thinking of a topic for my personal statement. Like everyone, I have faced adversity to some degree in my life but nothing I feel is appropriate or which I would feel comfortable writing about in a PS. I guess I am having a hard time thinking of a topic that won't come off as typical, boring, cliche, etc.
3. LSAT: I am taking the LSAT in October. Besides not leaving a safety net for retake, anything I should be concerned about?

I'm really just looking for any advice on these things or direction on the application process in general. I figure I am not the only one with these concerns and I constantly hear of people expressing various regrets they have regarding their personal cycle. So people, got anything for me?

Bert

Bronze

Re: Admissions Process

Post by Bert » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:08 pm

Start on your personal statement now. It is the biggest lead time item in your to do list, and you want to have time to do several redrafts of it.

jimicornerstone

New

Post by jimicornerstone » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:23 pm

LOR: Not super important, just get some.

Personal Statement: I think the "Overcoming Adveristy" theme is overused and boring to most AdComs. Just write about what you think makes you unique. Definitely do at least 3 drafts and have different types of people read it over and give you notes.

LSAT: Absolutely the most important thing to focus on. Start yesterday.

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:30 pm

Bert wrote:Start on your personal statement now. It is the biggest lead time item in your to do list, and you want to have time to do several redrafts of it.
Word. I might have to re-apply next year, and I'm starting to think about my new personal statement. They take forever. Just try to let your personality come through, and don't write a cookie-cutter "my eyes burned as they tried to adjust to the searing light pouring through the port hole of my escape pod. Time was running out, with the tell-tale hissing of pressure loss in the rear quadrant. Six months earlier I was treasurer of debate team. My family was a long line of lawyers. I never thought I would want to join the family practice, but I had an inexplicable attraction to the subject matter."

LOR: you should try to get as strong a letter as you can, but rumor has it that they are sort of all the same. They won't make or break your app. Just make sure they're not from prof's who don't know your name.

LSAT: start studying around June/July and study a ton. This website is a great resource for info on that. Get the bibles. Take (real) practice tests under timed conditions. Some people swear by classes. I never took a class and did great on the LSAT (lots of studying).

Just like everybody else, take my advice with a grain of salt. I didn't get in anywhere yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”