Suggestions on Masters while another wasted year for LSAT Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Think_lax86

New

Suggestions on Masters while another wasted year for LSAT

Post by Think_lax86 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:36 pm

So after I graduated from college I took this year off to really decide if law was for me. After my subpar performance on the LSAT however, I didnt get enough money in scholarship offers to attend a somewhat decent law school. And without that incentive, law school in todays legal market just doesnt add up for me. I wanted to take another year off to study up for the LSAT but finding a job has been killer. Nothing is open so I was thinking of enrolling in a year long masters program. Anyone got any suggestions on a good year long masters program for someone in this position?

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Re: Suggestions on Masters while another wasted year for LSAT

Post by TheBigMediocre » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:50 pm

Masters of Accounting, if you're UG degree is in business.

Think_lax86

New

Post by Think_lax86 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:03 pm

its not... its in environmental planning... not environmental science though...

i was thinking public administration but thats 2 years... political science would be awesome but I wasnt political science undergrad which blows donkey balls... anything else?

chanchito

Bronze

Post by chanchito » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:53 pm

A master's is often expensive because they don't let you teach as a TA and often don't have scholarships.

Have you thought of doing a PhD and then dropping after the first year? it is free then, and you end up with a masters.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:00 pm

chanchito wrote:A master's is often expensive because they don't let you teach as a TA and often don't have scholarships.

Have you thought of doing a PhD and then dropping after the first year? it is free then, and you end up with a masters.

Which PhD programs/areas of specialization give a masters after one year en route to the PhD? I've never heard of this. At least in the liberal arts, it takes 2-3 years to get a masters en route. How can people complete a master's thesis and the coursework in just one year? Just curious.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Think_lax86

New

Post by Think_lax86 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:05 pm

chanchito are you serious? I have never heard of anything like that... theres no way that can be legitimate... what programs would allow such a loop hole like that? do you know anyone who has done that?

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:05 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:Masters of Accounting, if you're UG degree is in business.
+1 Finance and Real Estate Development may also be useful depending on your interest in law. Nothing in social science/humanities. If you don't have a background in accounting, consider doing a post-graduate certificate instead of a MS. This doesn't have the same pre-reqs and will still allow you to sit for the CPA exam.

Don't do a MPA

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:11 pm

Think_lax86 wrote:chanchito are you serious? I have never heard of anything like that... theres no way that can be legitimate... what programs would allow such a loop hole like that? do you know anyone who has done that?
Its theoretically possible, but as Sumus pointed out, it takes 2-3 years for liberal arts (generally) to complete the MA coursework. IIRC, it may be about the same for sciences? You could drop out after getting the MA conferred, and have that. But then, you'd be about halfway to done with a PhD (generally speaking), so you may as well finish up. Also, getting a good rec letter won't be likely. Not only will you have quit the program, but you will have quit on your recommender's precious field. Just sayin'.

OP, rather than pursue an MA, you may be better served by getting some solid work experience. Even if you aren't using your degree, you should be able to save some money, travel, and enjoy not being in school. Once you start LS, you won't really have a chance to do any of those things.

Think_lax86

New

Post by Think_lax86 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:21 pm

holydonkey,
hmm post grad certificate... definitely something I will look into... I also completely forgot to look into the MSRed, thanks alot that was definitely something I was considering... Do you need prior real estate work to get that degree though? and will this be a redundant degree to pursue if I am getting my JD? or could both degrees supplement each other? And was that a Masters in Finance you mentioned? I dont think I can get that, I didnt do my undergrad in finance or business... I feel like thats a prerequisite

macattaq,
I wish I could get some solid work experience but I am having a hard time finding some legit work... I was thinking about getting some experience being a paralegal but I dont even think I would have the qualifications for that... I am signing up with a temp agency tomorrow and I have a bullsh*t interview with Target this week... not exactly solid work experience, which is why I thought my time might be better used pursuing some form of advanced degree... ya know what I mean? tough times economically dont really leave me too many options.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:01 pm

Think_lax86 wrote:holydonkey,
hmm post grad certificate... definitely something I will look into... I also completely forgot to look into the MSRed, thanks alot that was definitely something I was considering... Do you need prior real estate work to get that degree though? and will this be a redundant degree to pursue if I am getting my JD? or could both degrees supplement each other? And was that a Masters in Finance you mentioned? I dont think I can get that, I didnt do my undergrad in finance or business... I feel like thats a prerequisite
The benefit of doing a certificate over a masters is that it will likely only take 1 year, where the full masters will take at least 1.5 years. If you're really planning on starting law school in a year, the certificate is pretty much the only 1 year option, unless you want to go to Canada/UK for the degree.

Each school will have its own pre-reqs for programs. Check the university catalog to see if your school has these requirements listed or contact the admissions office. Finance and accounting will each have at least some pre-reqs. Some real estate degrees will require experience, but most don't.

chanchito

Bronze

Post by chanchito » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:19 pm

I am sure because I wanted to do this as well and went to the poli sci department at my school and the adviser said so.

chanchito

Bronze

Post by chanchito » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:20 pm

He also said it was a waste of time/ money to do the masters. btw

There are some schools that have a program for a 1 year masters.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:28 pm

Get a fucking job. Don't say you can't, you can find something, if you are willing to go low enough.

Making even minimum wage is better than wasting money at a masters that will have no benefit for your career.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:35 pm

Many Masters universities have assistantships toward a masters program. I know most universities that have PhD programs don't offer anything for Masters student so look at Masters university. TA or RA. Stipend isn't great but tuition is free, then take out the 8500 subsidized stafford loan to supplement the stipend for living expenses. And you can still get a part time job.

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Get a fucking job. Don't say you can't, you can find something, if you are willing to go low enough.

Making even minimum wage is better than wasting money at a masters that will have no benefit for your career.
+1

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:59 pm

Think_lax86 wrote:holydonkey,

macattaq,
I wish I could get some solid work experience but I am having a hard time finding some legit work... I was thinking about getting some experience being a paralegal but I dont even think I would have the qualifications for that... I am signing up with a temp agency tomorrow and I have a bullsh*t interview with Target this week... not exactly solid work experience, which is why I thought my time might be better used pursuing some form of advanced degree... ya know what I mean? tough times economically dont really leave me too many options.
A post-grad certificate will really only benefit you if you are planning on going into further studies in your area of specialty, but either didn't have access to certain classes, or your grades a bit low.

By solid work experience, I meant just working a regular 9-5 job 5 days a week or what have you. It doesn't have to mean going to work in a suit or tie, just committing to a full time job. Hell, even being a temp is better than sitting around your parent's house doing nothing. I mean, working at Target isn't even that bad. And before you leave for LS, you'll be able to get a discount on the things you need to set up shop wherever you move.

Think_lax86

New

Post by Think_lax86 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:03 pm

desert fox, thanks for the advice... yeah working as a lifeguard for $13 an hour is really helping my career too so point taken

r6_philly, I will look into that assistantship thing... do you know how long t hose programs are?

chanchito, did you end up doing that? Im gonna have to talk to an advisor at my undergrad school about this, that sounds crazy...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:04 pm

Get a job, no matter how crappy you think it might be. Choosing to work through this economy rather than defer for a year in a meaningless masters program will change your life for the better, and probably help you get into some law schools. I can tell you that my work experience in construction likely played a critical role in me getting into the schools that I did, with the scholarships that I did. My UGPA was not impressive, and showed a steep downward trend in the breakdown.

Think_lax86

New

Post by Think_lax86 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:06 pm

macattaq, yeah i hear ya... hopefully this job thing works out... i could really use the money and a steady 9-5

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:13 pm

Think_lax86 wrote: r6_philly, I will look into that assistantship thing... do you know how long t hose programs are?
The MS I am in is 33 credits, most MA are 33-42 credits. They want you to do it in 2 but you can in 2 summers and fall/spring. Assistantship is usually 5k + tuition, the one I applied to is 10k + tuition. I think if you work hard, and you have all the prereq's you should be able to find a program that you can finish in 1 year + summer.

BTW I want to do this MS because it will help my career rather than being useless like someone mentioned above. I would do a joint degree but I would actually prefer to concentrate on law classes. One fringe benefit of getting the MS for me: I can get a really decent part-time job teaching while in LS. Community colleges usually have evening/weekend sections and online sections, easy work, decent pay.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:16 pm

Think_lax86 wrote:desert fox, thanks for the advice... yeah working as a lifeguard for $13 an hour is really helping my career too so point taken
13 is 26K for a year. That's probably 17K after taxes. An MA is what negative 20K at best?

Sounds like not getting that MA will save you 37 grand.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:19 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Think_lax86 wrote:desert fox, thanks for the advice... yeah working as a lifeguard for $13 an hour is really helping my career too so point taken
13 is 26K for a year. That's probably 17K after taxes. An MA is what negative 20K at best?

If he does what I said (assistantship) he can get 5k with the stipend and still work 20 hours for 12-15/hr. Surviving on <>20k a year is a waste, it's not like you can save some money for law school, might be more productive getting an advanced degree. If the degree is meaningful, it could help your career.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:21 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

If he does what I said (assistantship) he can get 5k with the stipend and still work 20 hours for 12-15/hr. Surviving on <>20k a year is a waste, it's not like you can save some money for law school, might be more productive getting an advanced degree. If the degree is meaningful, it could help your career.
Yea, if he can do it debt free, I fully agree with you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”