Law clinics under fire from special interests Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nymets123

New

Law clinics under fire from special interests

Post by nymets123 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:59 pm

interesting write up in the Times about problems growing with clinics at public universities. Thought I'd share it. Deep pocketed interests making trouble...

One small reason to go to a private school instead of public I guess

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/04/us/04 ... ol.html?hp

kalvano

Diamond

Re: Law clinics under fire from special interests

Post by kalvano » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:03 pm

Hitting a little close to home I guess.

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:07 pm

this is really interesting.

1ferret!

Bronze

Post by 1ferret! » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:09 pm

insidious ....

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:16 pm

Silver Lining: obviously students are getting great practical experience and actually making a difference; otherwise they wouldn't be pissing people off.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:32 pm

From the Virginia Law Weekly's April 1 edition: VA Attorney General declares UVA Law unconstitutional

It's supposed to be a joke, but maybe we're not too far off after all... :shock:

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:47 pm

Yikes. The most disturbing part of that article is the suggestion that privilege doesn't extend to law students working in clinics under the supervision of a lawyer, especially in criminal cases. Privilege extends to medical students at teaching hospitals, why wouldn't the spirit of confidentiality extend to this?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:18 pm

jks289 wrote:Yikes. The most disturbing part of that article is the suggestion that privilege doesn't extend to law students working in clinics under the supervision of a lawyer, especially in criminal cases. Privilege extends to medical students at teaching hospitals, why wouldn't the spirit of confidentiality extend to this?
While I don't know the answer to your question, I do know that as a lawyer or lawyer to be you should probably actually learn the detail and nuance of those two doctrines before making arguments about their validity. There may or may not be a good reason, it may or may not be that way in all jurisdictions, it may or may not even be true.

Seeing 'the spirit of confidentiality' just makes my skin crawl. Once you start digging into how the legal world actually works, people making these broad glosses over issues (don't even get me started on the average comments re: HCR constitutionality) gets kind of maddening.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:29 pm

disco_barred wrote:
jks289 wrote:Yikes. The most disturbing part of that article is the suggestion that privilege doesn't extend to law students working in clinics under the supervision of a lawyer, especially in criminal cases. Privilege extends to medical students at teaching hospitals, why wouldn't the spirit of confidentiality extend to this?
While I don't know the answer to your question, I do know that as a lawyer or lawyer to be you should probably actually learn the detail and nuance of those two doctrines before making arguments about their validity. There may or may not be a good reason, it may or may not be that way in all jurisdictions, it may or may not even be true.

Seeing 'the spirit of confidentiality' just makes my skin crawl. Once you start digging into how the legal world actually works, people making these broad glosses over issues (don't even get me started on the average comments re: HCR constitutionality) gets kind of maddening.
I was making a general observation about the notion that a law student working under the supervision of a professional being called to testify regarding the case. I didn't make any representations about either doctrine, other than to ask if anyone could shed light on the "detail and nuance" of the respective situations. You're obviously brilliant and sophisticated (re: HCR constitutionality, etc :roll: ) so I can imagine how it must pain your intellect to see someone gloss over issues by not using adequately precise language on internet message boards.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bluebonnet21

New

Post by bluebonnet21 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:44 pm

nymets123 wrote:interesting write up in the Times about problems growing with clinics at public universities. Thought I'd share it. Deep pocketed interests making trouble...

One small reason to go to a private school instead of public I guess

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/04/us/04 ... ol.html?hp
Tulane is private, and it was mentioned too.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:16 am

Yeah that article pissed me off. Basically corporations are lobbying politicians to shut off money to law schools where students actually go after corporate crooks.

Their justification is that taxpayer money shouldn't be going to politically-sensitive tasks such as criminal defense, death penalty, environmental law, etc. I wish someone would point out that law students are paying $45,000 a year in tuition EVEN AT STATE SCHOOLS and thus are not getting paid by taxpayers to do this stuff. If anything, most law clinics are extracurricular and optional. It's part of the damn education.

Many of these lawmakers are just stupid enough to ruin their state law schools on behalf of these corporate lobbyists. Ridiculous.

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:29 am

existenz wrote: Many of these lawmakers are just stupid enough to ruin their state law schools on behalf of these corporate lobbyists. Ridiculous.
it's Louisiana and Maryland - would you expect anything better?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:46 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
existenz wrote: Many of these lawmakers are just stupid enough to ruin their state law schools on behalf of these corporate lobbyists. Ridiculous.
After spending Spring Break volunteering in New Orleans, the Louisiana parts of this article sounded downright ordinary to me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:31 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:
After spending Spring Break volunteering in New Orleans, the Louisiana parts of this article sounded downright ordinary to me.
One of the many reasons never to apply to Louisiana law schools.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:02 pm

get used to it, the only way to effect policy nowadays is through special interest. Luckily, there is one for every group, so you just have to be more persuasive/corrupt than your competitors.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:11 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
Borhas wrote:get used to it, the only way to effect policy nowadays is through special interest. Luckily, there is one for every group, so you just have to be more persuasive/corrupt than your competitors.
AMURICA
FUCK YEAH!

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:23 pm

Poor fools don't know who they are messing with. All judges were once law students. Anyone who goes after law schools is in for a world of hurt.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:39 pm

Cupidity wrote:Poor fools don't know who they are messing with. All judges were once law students. Anyone who goes after law schools is in for a world of hurt.
Judges in Louisiana are elected, and are not required to recuse themselves from cases due to conflict of interest to the same extent they are in many other states. Pwned.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:42 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Poor fools don't know who they are messing with. All judges were once law students. Anyone who goes after law schools is in for a world of hurt.
Judges in Louisiana are elected, and are not required to recuse themselves from cases due to conflict of interest to the same extent they are in many other states. Pwned.
let it make it to the supreme court.

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:45 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
judges who get elected in LA probably weren't good enough students to work in any law school clinics, anyway.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:01 pm

Cupidity wrote:let it make it to the supreme court.
Which it might and it might not.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

koehn2

New

Post by koehn2 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:46 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Cupidity wrote:let it make it to the supreme court.
Which it might and it might not.
Excellent observation!!! :D

chris0805

Silver

Post by chris0805 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:25 am

Cupidity wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
[strike]let it make it to the supreme court.[/strike] Try to challenge it as a violation of federal law and remove to federal court

nuss3

New

Post by nuss3 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:46 pm

pretty outrageous. kind of sad when something so important as checking special interest is left to students (although the opportunity for the students is obviously great).

gotta love this:
“Like the hapless Wizard of Oz, the clinics want all attention directed elsewhere, while they struggle mightily to keep concealed their actual use of public funds,” Kevin Kelly, the lawyer for the developer, Sussex Commons, wrote in his brief.
because all law school clinics are conspiring to waste funding and subvert the governments that fund them...

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:58 pm

This is more than a little troubling. I like the part where they accuse the students of "act[ing] like regulators," because they are bringing valid issues to trial.

I guess the moral of the story is that you can't expect an unfettered education if you go to a school fettered by public money.
disco_barred wrote:

I know what you mean, but you're being a little glib. These kinds of clinics cannot exist if there is no assumption of confidentiality. It undermines the entire project.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I am really looking forward to participating in clinics as part of my legal training, and it's discouraging to see them subjugated to public interests like this.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”