NYU spreading fee waivers to students with no chance. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tru

Bronze

NYU spreading fee waivers to students with no chance.

Post by tru » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:41 am

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r2b2ct

Bronze

Re: NYU spreading fee waivers to students with no chance.

Post by r2b2ct » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:56 am

Daytukrjabs wrote:"2.5% of the overall score is the acceptance rate for students. Highly Manipulable. As with (3) and (5), U.S. News has no way of verifying the data reported by private schools. In addition, many schools inflate their "selectivity" by giving fee waivers to applicants who have no chance of getting in. NYU is reported to have pioneered in this arena, but many others have followed suit."
http://www.leiterrankings.com/usnews/guide.shtml

I know Northwestern is another that does this. I may be naive in thinking this, but I always thought that educators and front-runners of academic excellence would find ways to mitigate the pernicious effects of flawed ranking, not yield to it. Errg!
They're correcting for the pernicious effects of people not realizing that they are better than they would otherwise rank.

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:54 am

What is the point of this thread? Everyone knows the USNWR suck and aren't very reliable. Everyone also knows that schools game the rankings. If you don't like it then do you own research and go wherever you think is the best...if that's Cooley than great. Until everyone stops buying the magazine, however, the bullshit will go on.

tru

Bronze

Post by tru » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:59 am

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:02 am

Daytukrjabs wrote:
TTTennis wrote:What is the point of this thread? Everyone knows the USNWR suck and aren't very reliable. Everyone also knows that schools game the rankings. If you don't like it then do you own research and go wherever you think is the best...if that's Cooley than great. Until everyone stops buying the magazine, however, the bullshit will go on.
No, they don't.
Im that case, thanks for the breaking news. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yourdadcalled

New

Post by yourdadcalled » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:31 pm

UVA'd

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:42 pm

WTF? NYU told me they didn't offer fee waivers.

Thank you for your email. NYU Law does not offer fee waivers. Applicants who have received a fee waiver from LSAC are eligible for a fee waiver from our application fee. Those who have received a LSAC fee waiver will automatically receive an application fee waiver from NYU if they apply electronically. If you decide to mail in your application, please include the LSAC fee waiver.

Thank you for your interest in NYU School of Law.

Office of Admissions
New York University School of Law

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:50 pm

yourdadcalled wrote:UVA'd

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:51 pm

newyorker88 wrote:WTF? NYU told me they didn't offer fee waivers.

Thank you for your email. NYU Law does not offer fee waivers. Applicants who have received a fee waiver from LSAC are eligible for a fee waiver from our application fee. Those who have received a LSAC fee waiver will automatically receive an application fee waiver from NYU if they apply electronically. If you decide to mail in your application, please include the LSAC fee waiver.

Office of Admissions
Weird. They gave me one last year (and I didn't even ask for it).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:56 pm

spondee wrote:

Office of Admissions
Weird. They gave me one last year (and I didn't even ask for it).
Pretty sure schools just blatantly lie about fee waivers. I requested a fee waiver from Notre Dame the day after receiving my December score, citing my LSAT and GPA, and they responded with some bogus about not granting merit based fee waivers. Two days later I received an automated email which contained a merit fee waiver.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:00 pm

Daytukrjabs wrote:"[strike]2.5% of the overall score is the acceptance rate for students. Highly Manipulable. As with (3) and (5), U.S. News has no way of verifying the data reported by private schools. In addition, many schools inflate their "selectivity" by giving fee waivers to applicants who have no chance of getting in. NYU is reported to have pioneered in this arena, but many others have followed suit."

I know Northwestern is another that does this. I may be naive in thinking this, but I always thought that educators and front-runners of academic excellence would find ways to mitigate the pernicious effects of flawed ranking, not yield to it. Errg[/strike]!
Your thread title sucks.

atttorney

New

Post by atttorney » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:39 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
Daytukrjabs wrote:"[strike]2.5% of the overall score is the acceptance rate for students. Highly Manipulable. As with (3) and (5), U.S. News has no way of verifying the data reported by private schools. In addition, many schools inflate their "selectivity" by giving fee waivers to applicants who have no chance of getting in. NYU is reported to have pioneered in this arena, but many others have followed suit."

I know Northwestern is another that does this. I may be naive in thinking this, but I always thought that educators and front-runners of academic excellence would find ways to mitigate the pernicious effects of flawed ranking, not yield to it. Errg[/strike]!
[strike]Your thread title sucks.[/strike]
strikeout
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 9#p2788899

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:03 am

TTTennis wrote:What is the point of this thread? Everyone knows the USNWR suck and aren't very reliable. Everyone also knows that schools game the rankings. If you don't like it then do you own research and go wherever you think is the best...if that's Cooley than great. Until everyone stops buying the magazine, however, the bullshit will go on.
Everyone should know, but there are some people who don't. I have a friend who is intelligent, attractive and seems to have great potential, but she depends on the rankings. The highest ranked school in USNWR that accepts her will get her this fall. I have had talks with her about it...to the point of my annoying her. I understand and even think that people's reliance on rankings is somewhat rational, given that employers filter students through the schools and, by extension, the rankings. But blindly depending on rankings to plan your future isn't the best way to go.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:01 am

PDaddy wrote: I understand and even think that people's reliance on rankings is somewhat rational, given that employers filter students through the schools and, by extension, the rankings. But blindly depending on rankings to plan your future isn't the best way to go.
I keep seeing this argument on here and I get where people are coming from, but I still feel that it's very misleading no matter how you frame it. Outside HYS, employment is very dependent on where you are geographically.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:04 am

Office of Admissions
Sounds like they don't give fee waivers if you ask (need-based or otherwise), but they certainly do offer them to underqualified applicants.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:08 am

im_blue wrote:Sounds like they don't give fee waivers if you ask (need-based or otherwise), but they certainly do offer them to underqualified applicants.
*raises hand*

though, in fairness, NYU would've been a target (though bordering on reach) for me had i applied earlier.

i, like most people, don't mind getting fee waivers as an under qualified applicant.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”