Fashion school alumni chances of getting into UPenn Law? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
alexkfan

New

Fashion school alumni chances of getting into UPenn Law?

Post by alexkfan » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:46 am

Hi, i go to Fashion Institute of Technology in New York majoring in Advertising and Marketing Communications and getting a BS hopefully in 2 years.

However, since i have been thinking im a 'bit more law' than advertising, i think i should start researching early and getting some footing before i totally steer my way into mud.

Is there a chance i could go to a top law school, even though im a sophomore and grades and scores arent on the table yet, i'd like to know if anyone has a clue as to the possibilities of someone graduating from FIT, a big time fashion college part of SUNY, getting into a top law school like UPenn with a gpa around the 3.5 mark, possibly higher.

If the chances are low since i dont go to a uni, i'm completely contemplating transferring to one just to have law school in my options.
Last edited by alexkfan on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

alexkfan

New

Re: Fashion school alumni chances of getting into UPenn Law?

Post by alexkfan » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:51 am

and i did read somewhere that you have a higher chances of getting into the top law schools if you went to schools that fed alot of students into them, of which FIT is most likely not one of them
Last edited by alexkfan on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

yourdadcalled

New

Post by yourdadcalled » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:01 am

fordham

alexkfan

New

Post by alexkfan » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:11 am

yourdadcalled wrote:paradise
Thats where im having lunch tomorrow but i dont know how that's answering my question.

and why does it edit 'l a w s c hool' to come out as 'lawl skool' on my first post? That's annoying.

tadams86

Bronze

Post by tadams86 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:12 am

alexkfan wrote:
Thats where im having lunch tomorrow but i dont know how that's answering my question.

and why does it edit 'l a w s c hool' to come out as 'lawl skool' on my first post? That's annoying.
April fools lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cendien

Bronze

Post by cendien » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:15 am

Word filters are active for April Fools.

OprahSoprano would be the best to talk to about applying from FIT, as she did that for Ford.ham.

From what I've seen of her cycle, it seemed like the people at Ford.ham were less inclined to weigh her GPA aside others of similar value due to the fact that its a fashion school. A good LSAT is the key to overcoming any GPA, and I would bet this is more true coming from a school which law school adcomms might otherwise find questionable.

Point is: do well on your LSAT and then start to target your applications to schools based on your undergrad GPA and degree.

alexkfan

New

Post by alexkfan » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:22 am

tadams86 wrote:
alexkfan wrote:

April fools your attempt at humor is the most laughable thing about your post; sadly, it is not that laughable
But i really am eating at Paradise cafe tomorrow for lunch. So i wasn't trying to be funny.

This wasn't even posted on April Fool's Day...

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:49 am

OP, I am an FIT graduate and current Ford.ham student. I majored in fashion merchandising, which made my cycle unpredictable. I consider myself quite lucky to be here, and I absolutely think that schools focused more on my LSAT score. I also asked my LOR writers to stress my writing ability, and those academic skills that would transfer most readily to law school. I still had a rough time of it, and was waitlisted for a very long time, despite an index score that was above median for my entering class (YC.Revolution calculated it for me.) The onus was on me to prove that I deserved the seat, and I took up the challenge.

There is another FIT grad applying this cycle who has already gotten into Ford.ham and George.town. Her numbers are better than mine were, and a high LSAT score will always speak for itself. In addition, there is a student who transferred from FIT to another school, and switched her major. She has also had an unusual cycle, likely due to her unique softs.

I do think that some schools will penalize you for being an FIT grad. Some will be intrigued. Some will want to see very high numbers before they give you a chance. My advice to you is to play it up; FIT makes you stand out, and you may be able to turn it to your advantage. I tried to minimize it during my cycle, and now I wish I'd been prouder of my alma mater.

As for your thoughts about transferring out, that is a complex issue. I would examine your comfort level where you are, and any other schools that have programs that might interest you. You do NOT have to transfer out of FIT to get into law school, but there are schools that are prestige obsessed, and if you have a shot at transferring to a top UG, it's worth considering if it's something that will make you happy apart from the law school application process.

alexkfan

New

Post by alexkfan » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Thanks OperaSoprano. :)

It is the top 10 that I really want to aim for, mostly Penn.

I guess I'll try to transfer to Penn UG....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:07 pm

get a 179 and apply to harvard. just make sure to send a video essay with your application.
Last edited by Panther7 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hannibalhamlin61

New

Post by hannibalhamlin61 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:12 pm

Panther7 wrote:get a 179 and apply to harvard. just make sure to send a video essay with you application.
I'm ashamed to say that I get this reference, but the level of detail makes me think you've seen this movie multiple times. :shock:

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:14 pm

hannibalhamlin61 wrote:
Panther7 wrote:get a 179 and apply to harvard. just make sure to send a video essay with you application.
I'm ashamed to say that I get this reference, but the level of detail makes me think you've seen this movie multiple times. :shock:
it's on tbs or tnt like once every few months. if it makes you feel more confident in my manhood, i haven't seen the sequel(s?).

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:28 pm

Panther7 wrote:get a 179 and apply to harvard. just make sure to send a video essay with your application.
And write everything on scented, colored, resume paper :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Chichaca

Bronze

Post by Chichaca » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:39 pm

Panther7 wrote:get a 179 and apply to harvard. just make sure to send a video essay with your application.
Didn't she have a 4.0 though?

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:34 pm

3.5 is going to be low for the top ten unless your LSAT is really high. what were your SAT scores?

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:37 pm

alexkfan wrote:and i did read somewhere that you have a higher chances of getting into the top law schools if you went to schools that fed alot of students into them, of which FIT is most likely not one of them
It's funny, though, b/c there are actually quite a few FIT grads who have gone into law. I read about one at GULC last year. That said, you would likely provide diversity and a unique perspective...artists always do.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:41 pm

Mattalones wrote:
And write everything on scented, colored, resume paper :lol:
And drive your pink Porche when you arrive with your lapdog.

alexkfan

New

Post by alexkfan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:25 am

somewhatwayward wrote:3.5 is going to be low for the top ten unless your LSAT is really high. what were your SAT scores?

Well I'm a sophomore and as of now it's a 3.5 so i have 2 yrs and a semester of improvement ahead of me.

My SAT score was 2170.

Would that help the situation?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”