How can I fix a huge screw-up? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pinkhearts

New

How can I fix a huge screw-up?

Post by pinkhearts » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:12 pm

I applied to all of my schools back in October, I was reapplying and all my stuff was ready.

It turns out that one of the schools required a new letter, which I didn't know because I am a complete idiot, and I was also applying to grad schools at the same time. The school didn't get the letter, because I didn't know they needed it. I corresponded with the school about things in the interim and they didn't mention it, which is irritating but not important because this is obv my fault.

The letter has been sent, which means that I will go complete sometime in the next week, effectively erasing the advantage of my early submission, and possibly branding me as a moron/autoreject. Is there anything I can do to help myself in this situation? It is sad because I thought that my lack of rejection was because I was being considered, but really no one has looked at my file yet. Should I write this off completely and prepare to move elsewhere? Does anyone think that a visit could improve my chances in a situation such as this? I wrote a LOCI before I knew I was incomplete, what a dope.

shoop

Bronze

Re: How can I fix a huge screw-up?

Post by shoop » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:33 pm

pinkhearts wrote:I applied to all of my schools back in October, I was reapplying and all my stuff was ready.

It turns out that one of the schools required a new letter, which I didn't know because I am a complete idiot, and I was also applying to grad schools at the same time. The school didn't get the letter, because I didn't know they needed it. I corresponded with the school about things in the interim and they didn't mention it, which is irritating but not important because this is obv my fault.

The letter has been sent, which means that I will go complete sometime in the next week, effectively erasing the advantage of my early submission, and possibly branding me as a moron/autoreject. Is there anything I can do to help myself in this situation? It is sad because I thought that my lack of rejection was because I was being considered, but really no one has looked at my file yet. Should I write this off completely and prepare to move elsewhere? Does anyone think that a visit could improve my chances in a situation such as this? I wrote a LOCI before I knew I was incomplete, what a dope.
I haven't applied yet (next cycle), so pardon me if I'm missing something... but how did you not realize you weren't complete? It seems like most people on T L S are on status-checkers constantly, agonizing over when they'll go complete or what some small change in their status means ("OMG I'M 'HELD' AT XYZ WHAT DOES IT MEEEEEEN?")... did you really just submit (almost) all your materials and then ignore everything for 5 months before starting to wonder why you hadn't heard back from anyone?

EDITED to circumvent the obnoxious April Fool's word swaps, which I sincerely hope will automatically revert to the original words tomorrow.

pinkhearts

New

Post by pinkhearts » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:39 pm

I had correspondence with the office of admissions that made it seem as though my letters were sufficient. This school does not have status checkers online. I unwittingly equivocated this correspondence into being complete, which wasn't the case.

firebreathingliberal

Bronze

Post by firebreathingliberal » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:55 pm

I don't know that you can 'fix' the screw up. I mean you could very well still get in if you explain to them what happened. Admissions people are, after all, people and do understand when people make mistakes. That being said, at this point in the game, you might end up on the WL or sacrifice any possibility at scholarship money.

I wouldn't say it's hopeless but certainly some damage has been done.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”