Alum inflence... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
raperez129

Bronze

Alum inflence...

Post by raperez129 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:25 pm

....does it help at all?

Case 1: I have a good LOR from a law school alum, and since he has been my boss for 5 years, he knows my work well. My numbers for this school are lower than the 50% mark, but above 25%.

Case 2: I am close to someone who is a law school alum and scholly sponsor at another school to which I applied, and he insisted that he speak with Dean on my behalf. My numbers are below 25% for this school, but I’d like to go if they let me.

stratocophic

Gold

Re: Alum inflence...

Post by stratocophic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:28 pm

raperez129 wrote:....does it help at all?

Case 1: I have a good LOR from a law school alum, and since he has been my boss for 5 years, he knows my work well. My numbers for this school are lower than the 50% mark, but above 25%.

Case 2: I am close to someone who is a law school alum and scholly sponsor at another school to which I applied, and he insisted that he speak with Dean on my behalf. My numbers are below 25% for this school, but I’d like to go if they let me.
If you're a URM, being below median is not always an issue. Sounds like your connections will put you in a great position.

acash09

New

Post by acash09 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:34 pm

For one of the schools I applied to, I had a LOR from a law school alum: an employer who I was very good friends with and who respected my work. They still rejected me. Although, my LSAT was somewhere around their 25% mark.

Geesh106

New

Post by Geesh106 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:37 pm

Alum influence won't do much. Influence for an alum that has donated a lot of money to the school is another story though.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:39 pm

stratocophic wrote:

If you're a URM, being below median is not always an issue. Sounds like your connections will put you in a great position.
I should clarify. This is relevant only if you are a URM. Otherwise, connections won't do you any good.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

acash09

New

Post by acash09 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:48 pm

stratocophic wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

I should clarify. This is relevant only if you are a URM. Otherwise, connections won't do you any good.
So true.

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:33 pm

Yes, I am a URM.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”