NYU or Columbia? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

NYU or Columbia?

NYU
30%
Columbia
70%

Total votes: 70

chanchito

Bronze

NYU or Columbia?

Post by chanchito » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:26 am

Sometimes they are ranked the same, sometimes differently, never by very much. Both in NY, NYU arguably in a nicer part of town. Which one if you had the choice?

r6_philly

Diamond

Re: NYU or Columbia?

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:38 am

I like uptown better. But I would have to visit to see, it will probably come down to things other than rankings and location.

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:59 am

Columbia for sure.

jpSartre

Bronze

Post by jpSartre » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:39 pm

I picked NYU because of a one Ronald Dworkin. But I have little knowledge of any other factors.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:42 pm

Threads on NYU and Columbia aren't very useful unless you give some sense of the criteria -- what you're looking for in a law school and what you want to do when you graduate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Steven Perry

New

Post by Steven Perry » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:47 pm

I've always considered the differences between Columbia and NYU to be less on an issue than their similarities. The two are just so close that it's hard to pick an exact one off nothing. Columbia does have the bigger name and higher rank, and I've heard that they're more generous with their scholarship offers, but you cannot beat NYU in terms of location.

On a completely shallow note, I do prefer the NYU purple over the Columbia baby blue.

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:07 am

Steven Perry wrote:I've always considered the differences between Columbia and NYU to be less on an issue than their similarities. The two are just so close that it's hard to pick an exact one off nothing. Columbia does have the bigger name and higher rank, and I've heard that they're more generous with their scholarship offers, but you cannot beat NYU in terms of location.

On a completely shallow note, I do prefer the NYU purple over the Columbia baby blue.
I need to find that thread where TLS kept raving about Morningside Heights... when I actually visited I much preferred the bustle around the NYU area compared to Columbia which felt completely dead. I went in early January and the streets in MSH were dead, dead, dead... Greenwich Village was the next night and it was food, clubs, and bars galore with plenty of people out on the town. Both weeknights btw

If you want PI then you might want to lean NYU

If you want Biglaw, prestige/lay prestige, or most other things, I'd say Columbia

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:06 am

jpSartre wrote:I picked NYU because of a one Ronald Dworkin. But I have little knowledge of any other factors.
Dworkin is awesome. Would be nice to take con law, or any other class with him. Thanks for reminding me of him.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”