Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which school would you choose?

Harvard
34%
Yale
66%

Total votes: 195

RealTalk

New

Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Post by RealTalk » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:37 pm

First of all, let me be blunt I care only about prestige when it comes to picking a school. I know Yale has been number one in the USNWR rankings forever. However as we all know when it comes to impressing the random person in the street the name Harvard carries way more clout than Yale. Harvard is universally recognized as the best university in the world and a degree from it is worth more than a degree from any other institution of higher learning.

Yale may get more respect than Harvard in the legal community but the margin is so small its almost irrelevant. Its not like your job prospects are any better from graduating at the top of your class in Yale as opposed to Harvard.

I'm also really competitive so the fact Yale doesn't give out grades is a turn-off. I'd much rather prove myself in a competitive grade driven environment such as Harvard rather than the laid back nature I've heard about from Yale. Also the fact Harvard has almost 3x the number of students as Yale w/o a drop-off in terms of quality (GPA and LSAT) makes the place even more competitive. Thus being top of your class in Harvard is way more impressive IMO than being top of your class at Yale.

Am I crazy or are there other prospective 1L's that also rank Harvard above Yale?

miamiman

Silver

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Post by miamiman » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:40 pm

cool, bro.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:41 pm

If the person you are talking to doesn't realize that Yale is a big deal, I wouldn't worry about impressing them.

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:41 pm

RealTalk wrote:First of all, let me be blunt I care only about prestige when it comes to picking a school. I know Yale has been number one in the USNWR rankings forever. However as we all know when it comes to impressing the random person in the street the name Harvard carries way more clout than Yale. Harvard is universally recognized as the best university in the world and a degree from it is worth more than a degree from any other institution of higher learning.

Yale may get more respect than Harvard in the legal community but the margin is so small its almost irrelevant. Its not like your job prospects are any better from graduating at the top of your class in Yale as opposed to Harvard.

I'm also really competitive so the fact Yale doesn't give out grades is a turn-off. I'd much rather prove myself in a competitive grade driven environment such as Harvard rather than the laid back nature I've heard about from Yale. Also the fact Harvard has almost 3x the number of students as Yale w/o a drop-off in terms of quality (GPA and LSAT) makes the place even more competitive. Thus being top of your class in Harvard is way more impressive IMO than being top of your class at Yale.

Am I crazy or are there other prospective 1L's that also rank Harvard above Yale?
Harvard now has virtually the same grading system as Yale and Stanford, fyi

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:43 pm

RealTalk wrote:I'm also really competitive so the fact Yale doesn't give out grades is a turn-off. I'd much rather prove myself in a competitive grade driven environment such as Harvard rather than the laid back nature I've heard about from Yale. Also the fact Harvard has almost 3x the number of students as Yale w/o a drop-off in terms of quality (GPA and LSAT) makes the place even more competitive. Thus being top of your class in Harvard is way more impressive IMO than being top of your class at Yale.
(reviews UGPA and LSAT score)

:roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:46 pm

I believe that anyone intelligent enough to be admitted to both Yale and Harvard would not think the way you do about the choice before them. They might still pick Harvard, but not for these reasons. As such, your point is a bit moot :(

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:46 pm

RealTalk wrote:First of all, let me be blunt I care only about prestige when it comes to picking a school. I know Yale has been number one in the USNWR rankings forever. However as we all know when it comes to impressing the random person in the street the name Harvard carries way more clout than Yale. Harvard is universally recognized as the best university in the world and a degree from it is worth more than a degree from any other institution of higher learning.

My AWESOME meter just went off the charts. Am I right?

cardnal124

Bronze

Post by cardnal124 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:48 pm

Unemployed wrote:
RealTalk wrote:I'm also really competitive so the fact Yale doesn't give out grades is a turn-off. I'd much rather prove myself in a competitive grade driven environment such as Harvard rather than the laid back nature I've heard about from Yale. Also the fact Harvard has almost 3x the number of students as Yale w/o a drop-off in terms of quality (GPA and LSAT) makes the place even more competitive. Thus being top of your class in Harvard is way more impressive IMO than being top of your class at Yale.
(reviews UGPA and LSAT score)

:roll:
+1

Also, Harvard may carry more clout than Yale for a random person on the street, but they are the ones giving you employment. Here's my analysis. Yale > Harvard for law academia, research, and clerkships. Harvard > Yale for politics (more potential connections with a bigger class) and BigLaw (although mostly due to self-selection).

qualster

Bronze

Post by qualster » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:49 pm

I would choose Harvard because every movie set at an elite school seems to use Harvard as the default. It's just the coolest. The Paper Chase, Legally Blonde, Soul Man, etc.

The fact that I would choose based almost solely on this basis indicates my level of intelligence. I obviously do not have the Harvard or Yale option.

I didn't apply to Harvard because I scored in the mid 160 range on the LSAT, but my "Why Harvard" essay would have been ridiculous if I'd decided to waste $80.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:50 pm

RealTalk wrote: I'm also really competitive so the fact Yale doesn't give out grades is a turn-off. I'd much rather prove myself in a competitive grade driven environment such as Harvard rather than the laid back nature I've heard about from Yale. Also the fact Harvard has almost 3x the number of students as Yale w/o a drop-off in terms of quality (GPA and LSAT) makes the place even more competitive. Thus being top of your class in Harvard is way more impressive IMO than being top of your class at Yale.
I can appreciate that you prefer Harvard to Yale. That is fine.

But - competitititititititive skewl iz stooooooopid.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:50 pm

There are plenty of applicants who would prefer Harvard over Yale. But they presumably have that preference for, ya know...non-retarded reasons.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:53 pm

Nope. You're not alone. For me, Harvard > Yale. But that's just because I have international career endeavors and I feel Harvard's international reputation beats Yale's. Of course, I'm not expecting to get into Yale, so the prospect of turning down Yale just seems easier...just because I probably would never have the opportunity. I think my chances at HLS are decent, but I doubt I'm awesome enough for Yale, lol...

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:59 pm

no, op.

i almost certainly would take hls over any other school. i find the sheer breadth of opportunities at cambridge pretty exciting relative to those anywhere else, including yale.
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:04 pm

Have you been accepted to both?

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:05 pm

Yes, you are nuts.

Then again there are quite a few schools I would choose over HLS.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:05 pm

I would take Y over H without a blink. It is worth to note that I came to this realization after about a year of research. It is hard to overcome the tought that H is the best university in the world, but to me and everything I want to achieve, Y is a much over choice. I believe in almost every aspect that I looked at, Y is better than H. Not saying that it is universally better, but better from my perspective, it is just a better fit for me. The one thing I do like about H more is the ability to cross register at MIT.

Well I don't know if I really have a fighting chance at H anyway so the point may be moot for me.

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:21 pm

I did a little research on your behalf OP and I discovered that you are not alone. At Harvard, the best law school in the nation, a slim majority of the students agree that Harvard Law School is better than Yale Law School: --LinkRemoved--

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Herb Watchfell

Bronze

Post by Herb Watchfell » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:36 pm

tomhobbes wrote:I did a little research on your behalf OP and I discovered that you are not alone. At Harvard, the best law school in the nation, a slim majority of the students agree that Harvard Law School is better than Yale Law School: --LinkRemoved--
Tyler Bowen is a rockstar.

RealTalk

New

Post by RealTalk » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:37 pm

tomhobbes wrote:

not yet but just contemplating if it were to come true

so far my cycle has gone much better than my numbers would indicate primarily cause I'm so great when it comes to softs

biomedical engineering grad from Princeton w/ alot of accomplishments

I suspect Harvard as a likely admit while Yale is a long shot

utexas2010

New

Post by utexas2010 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:39 pm

RealTalk wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:

not yet but just contemplating if it were to come true

so far my cycle has gone much better than my numbers would indicate primarily cause I'm so great when it comes to softs

biomedical engineering grad from Princeton w/ alot of accomplishments

I suspect Harvard as a likely admit while Yale is a long shot
Sure there is not another "great" soft you are failing to mention?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:41 pm

tomhobbes wrote:

Of course not. You think a Yalie would be douchey enough to post in a thread like this?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RealTalk

New

Post by RealTalk » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:41 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Nope. You're not alone. For me, Harvard > Yale. But that's just because I have international career endeavors and I feel Harvard's international reputation beats Yale's. Of course, I'm not expecting to get into Yale, so the prospect of turning down Yale just seems easier...just because I probably would never have the opportunity. I think my chances at HLS are decent, but I doubt I'm awesome enough for Yale, lol...
true

I know that saying I went to Harvard will impress anyone no matter where they are in the world. Its practically the only American university anyone outside this country knows.

RealTalk

New

Post by RealTalk » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:45 pm

rayiner wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:

Of course not. You think a Yalie would be douchey enough to post in a thread like this?
I'm all about prestige dude. I went to Princeton for undergrad simply because Harvard waitlisted me eventhough at that time Princeton was #1 in ranking while Harvard was #2.

Yale simply just doesn't have the lay prestige of Harvard.

Why is it so hard for people to believe that some people don't care about USNWR's rankings?

Herb Watchfell

Bronze

Post by Herb Watchfell » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:47 pm

RealTalk wrote:not yet but . . . I suspect Harvard as a likely admit . . . .
3.3/164 FTL

RealTalk

New

Post by RealTalk » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:48 pm

Herb Watchfell wrote:
RealTalk wrote:not yet but . . . I suspect Harvard as a likely admit . . . .
3.3/164 FTL
u gotta love affirmative action :lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”