LOCI - Should I mention plan to retake LSAT in June? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
chaudhry

New

LOCI - Should I mention plan to retake LSAT in June?

Post by chaudhry » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:07 pm

I am starting to write LOCI's to schools that have waitlisted me and wondering if I should mention that I have registered to retake LSAT in June?

If yes, how should I say it??

LegalGENius

New

Re: LOCI - Should I mention plan to retake LSAT in June?

Post by LegalGENius » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:41 pm

Why are you retaking?? Waiting for next cycle?

dynomite

Bronze

Post by dynomite » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:50 pm

The schools will know (LSAC will update your file) but you should absolutely include a brief statement about this in your LOCI, explaining why you're retaking ("My current LSAT score does not reflect my true ability...")

There are a number of examples of even highly ranked law schools (UVA, for one) that accepted people off waitlists because of a June LSAT.

chaudhry

New

Post by chaudhry » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:14 pm

I am retaking to improve my chances of getting off waitlist and being accepted. Also, in case I don't end up in my top choices, improved score might help with transfer after 1L.

I know that the schools will get an updated report AFTER I receive a new score, but in the meantime won't it make chances of my application being reevaluated less? I mean what if they put my file on hold for the scores and by the time June scores come out, all the spots are filled up?

LegalGENius

New

Post by LegalGENius » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:19 pm

chaudhry wrote:I am only retaking to improve my chances of getting off waitlist and being accepted.

I know that the schools will get an updated report AFTER I receive a new score, but in the meantime won't it make chances of my application being reevaluated less? I mean what if they put my file on hold for the scores and by the time June scores come out, all the spots are filled up?
Idk. By the time you get the score back and it's sent to the law school of your choice, it may be too late. Actually, it almost certainly will be for this admissions cycle (earliest the score would get to them is mid to late-July.

They won't hold your file if you tell them you are retaking,I think they will review you just the same without that score being considered (time constraints). What if they write you off as someone who is deferring and trying again next cycle?? IMO, It just seems too late for retaking if you intend to start in August.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chaudhry

New

Post by chaudhry » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:30 pm

Sorry I had to edit my earlier response. Waitlists are not my only reason for retaking (improved score might help with transfer after 1L)

Ok after reading the two opposite (but really valid) responses, I am even more confused...

CmonSD

Bronze

Post by CmonSD » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:35 pm

I am doing the same thing, but it seems the schools pull off the waitlist before the LSAT......but if it doesn't work out I am going to apply next year. I am not going to mention I don't want them waiting until they recieve my score. Do schools really take into account your LSAT score for transfers?

LegalGENius

New

Post by LegalGENius » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:46 pm

CmonSD wrote: Do schools really take into account your LSAT score for transfers?
From what I understand it matters nearly as much as it did the first time you applied.

CmonSD

Bronze

Post by CmonSD » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:51 pm

Good to know......thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”