Depressed- Shut out for 10-11 cycle Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
phatrapper

New

Depressed- Shut out for 10-11 cycle

Post by phatrapper » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:31 am

I am so depressed these days although I knew it was coming. My stats are 3.7/162 and am close to a shut out for this cycle. I knew this was going to happen for I only applied to T-30 and thought was emotionally prepared if I was rejected from everywhere. However, it turns out that I wasn't and am depressed over waiting another full year to go to LS, and re study for the LSAT. Although I have couple of schools that I'm still waiting, I was rejected from what I consider the least competitive shool among my list and have already registered for my June LSAT.

Really there is no point in this thread but I was wondering if anyone can relate to my situation and maybe share the agony.

Man it sucks to go over the stinking preps again :(

Also does anyone have great ideas for what I should do before Law school? I don't think any firms will be willing to hire someone who will be leaving after a year of training.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Re: Depressed- Shut out for 10-11 cycle

Post by quickquestionthanks » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:47 am

--ImageRemoved--

jsoell

New

Post by jsoell » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:36 am

You say you are
phatrapper wrote:close to a shut out for this cycle.
I am guessing that you are referring to the ones you're still waiting on and not meaning that you got in to one of them?

phatrapper

New

Post by phatrapper » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:46 am

jsoell wrote:You say you are
I am guessing that you are referring to the ones you're still waiting on and not meaning that you got in to one of them?
Yes. you understood it correctly.

jsoell

New

Post by jsoell » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:55 am

phatrapper wrote:
jsoell wrote:You say you are
Yes. you understood it correctly.
Are you straight out of undergrad?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

phatrapper

New

Post by phatrapper » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:08 am

Yes but I did go to the military for two years and am 25 already...

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:13 am

Sounds a little depressing for sure. But keep your spirits high. If you can pull a better LSAT score, it could be the best thing that could happen to you. 169-170 opens up some great doors for you. Good luck.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:17 am

I would kill for your GPA, if you can improve your LSAT score a bit, you'll be in a good position next cycle. As for work in the meantime, try to do something substantive that you're interested in. Are you political? I think it would be cool to work on a campaign, but that's just me. Try to find something you care about.

phatrapper

New

Post by phatrapper » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:08 am

Thanks for all the replies. I'm working as a clerk in a big international law firm and I'm thinking of working here for another year. I recently found coporate law businesses very intriguing. Or I might go over to China to pick up the language. I really wish I could increase my LSAT score by next year. The thing is though, increasing my LSAT score seems exremely difficult somehow. Sigh...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

set88

New

Post by set88 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:19 pm

phatrapper wrote:Thanks for all the replies. I'm working as a clerk in a big international law firm and I'm thinking of working here for another year. I recently found coporate law businesses very intriguing. Or I might go over to China to pick up the language. I really wish I could increase my LSAT score by next year. The thing is though, increasing my LSAT score seems exremely difficult somehow. Sigh...

Just keep working at it! I have a friend who raised his 14 points after a couple months of practice. It's possible!

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:36 pm

You have a job, so you won't be complacent in the mean time. A lot of schools love extended work experience (eg. Northwestern). In addition, you will be better equipped as an applicant this time around as your LORs are ready and send your application on the first day that they are accepted. You will probably have a better idea of what you want in a law school and apply to a more varied array this time around. You could be saving money in the long run.

I'm 26 and I haven't been fortunate enough to find any work ever since I graduated college. However, I am willing to bypass partial scholly offers from schools I am not super crazy about because I know I am a better applicant now.

Basically, no matter the age, nothing wrong with taking a mulligan.

twopoodles

Bronze

Post by twopoodles » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:50 pm

Not that my question is going to help you feel any better, but did you have anyone go over your application? I would have expected you to get in at the lower schools on your list. Is it possible you came off badly in your PS?

I only ask because my numbers are close, but a little worse, and my age is the same. I think that my application demonstrated that I was up to the challenge, though--and that is probably important when you are on the lower end.

Trying to be optimistic, if your application did take an unfavorable tone, that would be easier to fix than an LSAT score.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:03 pm

You don't need to drastically increase your LSAT. Three points would be good, Five would be great and ten would be fantastic. Just practice. Work during the day and study 4-5 hours per night for the next 10 weeks. After that you've got a year to catch up on your social life, party and have fun.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

youpiiz

Bronze

Post by youpiiz » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:23 pm

dont be depressed! in a sense you have an extra year to sort of do whatever you want!!
i know that going through the admission process again sucks, but you know, the second time is not going to be even half as bad as the first. also think about the better options you could have with a higher lsat.. look at the bright side !
--ImageRemoved--

errr... perhaps this is the wrong pic.

phatrapper

New

Post by phatrapper » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:35 pm

Omg thanks everyone for such encouraging replies. As for PS, yes I also think that my PS was going to a wrong direction. Rather than talking about myself, I think I was trying to prove an argument, which as an English major I was doing all the time in college.

I will take in all you're feedbacks and encouragement and comeback stronger in July. Man this really hyped my esteem today. Thanks all!

thinkbig

Bronze

Post by thinkbig » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:37 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:--ImageRemoved--
shhhh, ahhh!... shhhh, ahhh!... shhhh, ahhh!... shhhh, ahhh!... shhhh, ahhh!... shhhh, ahhh!... shhhh, ahhh!... shhhh, ahhh!... shhhh, ahhh!... shhhh, ahhh!... shhhh, ahhh!... shhhh, ahhh!... shhhh, ahhh!... shhhh, ahhh!... shhhh, ahhh!... shhhh, ahhh!...

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:38 pm

focus on LG, the easiest section to improve :P

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thinkbig

Bronze

Post by thinkbig » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:52 pm

englawyer wrote:focus on LG, the easiest section to improve :P
+2

mytwocents

Bronze

Post by mytwocents » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:52 pm

I was in your EXACT position last year. Low LSAT, applied to schools ranked higher than I could get into, and (save for two TTTs) got completely shut out. The thought of living at home with my parents and trying to find a job ITE with my practically useless humanities degree was really depressing. And while this last year hasn't been fun, it definitely hasn't been as awful as I thought it would be.

Trust me, it can and most likely WILL get better for you. Look at this situation like a learning experience, because it absolutely is. I got a chance to sit out and totally rethink my motivations for even applying to law school, and now I want to go more than ever. I'm also not completely burned out from school the way those just out of undergrad might be. In fact, I can't WAIT to get back to studying and reading boring shit on a regular basis. There's so much to figure out When You Apply to Law School (how to use LSAC, when to apply, what to write for your PS, where to get your LORs, etc.) that won't even be a problem next cycle. It's definitely easier the second time around.

Look at it this way, too...the longer you wait, the better your chances are of graduating law school with a stronger economy and thus, better chances of landing a job. I was really, really sad about basically being a failure last year, but this idea really comforted me. It'll only be an extra year, and the economy could take years to fully recover, but every little bit you wait could help.

eta: the LSAT is difficult, but totally learnable. I raised mine 12 points with an only partially helpful Kaplan class and a couple of Powerscore books. It can be done.

erniesto

Bronze

Post by erniesto » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:54 pm

I think you should also look over your app and the schools you applied to. I had a worse GPA, but only a slightly higher LSAT and didn't get completely shut out of the T-30 (almost though).

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:14 pm

I'm in a very similar situation as well. I know it sucks. We just have to do something to stand out and make our applications shine early next cycle. :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nematoad

Bronze

Post by nematoad » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:25 pm

162/3.4 and i did the same. only applied to the t-30 and the best ive got thus far is a WL from W&M. I feel your pain. I was completely aware i may get shut out the cycle but i didnt realize how much rejection would hurt regardless. Bah. After the LSAT make the most of the next year and half, thats the only real advice ive got and exactly what i plan on doing barring a miracle.

hsprophet

Bronze

Post by hsprophet » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:23 pm

I would apply to schools that are in your reach as well. Improving your LSAT is a great thing, but you have to plan in case that doesn't happen. A lot depends on your career goals, but going to a lower ranked schools where you can "swim with the fishes" can lead to a very successful career.

I personally didn't set my sights too high. I'm not after biglaw or top ranked schools. I only sought schools in regions where I would like to practice and where I felt I would be competitive with the student body.

amolson04

New

Post by amolson04 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:51 pm

definitely keep your chin up! i had a similar experience, except i didn't even apply after my (disastrous) first lsat. i waited another two years, actually, retook the lsat, raised my score 7 points, (164 to 171 - although my practests averaged 173-174, i had a really bad test day, i was so nervous i almost threw up), and got some valuable work experience, which basically made my PS. and now i am in to georgetown, even with my not-hot GPA. so, i think for me taking time "off" was the best thing i could have done. it's not the most fun thing ever, but it was a good learning experience for me. and i got a great letter from my boss too, and saved some money ... so, all in all, it's not such a bad thing to take time off and reflect : )

good luck next cycle! i hope this was at least mildly encouraging!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”