Deposit question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kalvano

Diamond

Deposit question

Post by kalvano » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:56 pm

Can you put a seat deposit at two schools? Like your main choice and then a back-up school?

Mattalones

Silver

Re: Deposit question

Post by Mattalones » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:58 pm

kalvano wrote:Can you put a seat deposit at two schools? Like your main choice and then a back-up school?
You aren't supposed to, but you can. It just means that one of the amounts will be forgone.

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:59 pm

Mattalones wrote:
kalvano wrote:Can you put a seat deposit at two schools? Like your main choice and then a back-up school?
You aren't supposed to, but you can. It just means that one of the amounts will be forgone.
and that you will be screwing over someone else who wanted that spot.

catharsis

Bronze

Post by catharsis » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:59 pm

wondering the same.

although im not sure, and you shouldnt take my advice as being solid, i think you can and have heard of many people doing this to wait out other schools later in the cycle (usually from waitlists or waiting on financial aid).

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:00 am

You can do the first deposit that way. You'll just forfeit the deposit at the school you withdraw from. However, a lot of schools will communicate with each other about the second deposit and really frown on you depositing twice at two schools. They'll be blunt about this though.

However, by the time the second deposit deadline rolls around in June, you should know where you're going anyway. Nothing will change between June and August and you should be able to decide by then.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:00 am

Mattalones wrote:

I'm willing to spend a couple hundred dollars to have a fall-back in case my wife can't find a job and I can't sell my house.

They won't revoke a scholarship or anything though?

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:12 am

kalvano wrote:
Mattalones wrote:

I'm willing to spend a couple hundred dollars to have a fall-back in case my wife can't find a job and I can't sell my house.

They won't revoke a scholarship or anything though?
No, you'll be cool. And, to answer an above post, you won't be screwing someone else out of a spot. You will actually get someone pulled off the wait-list in all probability; the school gets extra money and a wait-lister gets what he/she wants. Tah-dah!!! 8)

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:15 am

Thanks.

I'll know by June, I just don't want to lose all my scholarship money if I can't move to my first choice.

I have no intention of screwing anyone, and if I can move, I'd let school 1b know as soon as I know.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:16 am

Yes, unless either school forbids it. I know Columbia does not allow depositing at another school, and reserves the right to revoke admission if found out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:19 am

kalvano wrote:Thanks.

I'll know by June, I just don't want to lose all my scholarship money if I can't move to my first choice.

I have no intention of screwing anyone, and if I can move, I'd let school 1b know as soon as I know.
You know what I did ... I just called the school and asked the deposit person if I could just not pay. She let me. You should just explain to them your situation (as always, be sure to only talk to someone who actually has the authority to give you the okay) and ask for them to forgive you the 1st deposit deadline. What happened to me is that the money just wasn't applied to my tuition cost, so I'll just pay the amount in tuition when the time comes.

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:29 am

Mattalones wrote:

You know what I did ... I just called the school and asked the deposit person if I could just not pay. She let me. You should just explain to them your situation (as always, be sure to only talk to someone who actually has the authority to give you the okay) and ask for them to forgive you the 1st deposit deadline. What happened to me is that the money just wasn't applied to my tuition cost, so I'll just pay the amount in tuition when the time comes.
that is pretty cool that they let you do that. props to whatever school that is.

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:34 am

vanwinkle wrote:
You can do the first deposit that way. You'll just forfeit the deposit at the school you withdraw from. However, a lot of schools will communicate with each other about the second deposit and really frown on you depositing twice at two schools. They'll be blunt about this though.

However, by the time the second deposit deadline rolls around in June, you should know where you're going anyway. Nothing will change between June and August and you should be able to decide by then.
Yeah, but people have been known to get off of WLs during orientation... Clearly by June you should have identified the school to go to out of your acceptances, but you can ride a WL all summer only to get in at the very last possible minute.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:35 am

tintin wrote:
Mattalones wrote:

that is pretty cool that they let you do that. props to whatever school that is.
Yeah, I was stoked! My situation was a deferral. I said that since I had no student loans to pay the $1,000 deposit, I just didn't have the money. So, they agreed to put me on the "paid" list anyway. When it comes down to it, you are just talking to people - older people. They know things aren't cut'n dry, and they'll usually try to help if you seem nice enough.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ppa840

Bronze

Post by ppa840 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:46 am

Anyone know how Berkeley's deposit works? They require no money, but if you say yes, it seems like it is binding. Am I wrong?

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:47 am

ppa840 wrote:Anyone know how Berkeley's deposit works? They require no money, but if you say yes, it seems like it is binding. Am I wrong?
Nothing is binding ...

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:02 am

Make sure that the school doesn't prohibit it. USC told me they've revoked offers when applicants submit 2+ seat deposits.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:06 am

JOThompson wrote:Make sure that the school doesn't prohibit it. USC told me they've revoked offers when applicants submit 2+ seat deposits.

Where does one find this out?

I see nothing on either school's website about a deposit being binding.
Last edited by kalvano on Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jack duluoz

Bronze

Post by jack duluoz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:10 am

op, you seem to have a legitimate reason to not be ready by the deadline. I would suggest talking to the school about your situation. If that fails, then chance the deposit.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:14 am

kalvano wrote:
JOThompson wrote:Make sure that the school doesn't prohibit it. USC told me they've revoked offers when applicants submit 2+ seat deposits.

Where does one find this out?

I see nothing on either school's website about a deposit being binding.
It might be on the seat deposit form. You could always directly ask the admissions office, but that could be risky. I do think they'd understand your dilemma and not fault you for inquiring about multiple seat deposits though. I only happened to know that USC tidbit because the admissions director mentioned it during my tour of the school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”