University of San Diego 2010 entering class Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
meggers88

New

University of San Diego 2010 entering class

Post by meggers88 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:07 pm

Hey errebody, i'm thinking of accepting at USD but i haven't gotten any scholarship info yet. Has anyone gotten any scholarship money yet or know what's up?
Last edited by meggers88 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTTennis

Bronze

Re: University of San Diego 2010 entering class

Post by TTTennis » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:09 pm

meggers88 wrote:Hey errebody, i'm thinking of accepting at USD but i haven't gotten any scholarship info yet. Anyone know what's up?
I heard they "ran out" of scholly money and will be waiting until after the deposit deadline to hand out more money.

meggers88

New

Post by meggers88 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:48 am

hmm thats odd. there was something on their website that said you had to fill out a fafsa first...so i was hoping maybe they were just waiting til after the fafsa deadline. where did you hear that?

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:32 am

Someone posted that they 'ran out' here a couple of weeks ago and everyone else is just repeating that, I think. IMO, that might just have been one adcomm's excuse for why they didn't want to give someone a scholarship. I've asked about the veracity of this 'ran out' claim and no one posted to report verification.

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:39 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:Someone posted that they 'ran out' here a couple of weeks ago and everyone else is just repeating that, I think. IMO, that might just have been one adcomm's excuse for why they didn't want to give someone a scholarship. I've asked about the veracity of this 'ran out' claim and no one posted to report verification.
They said this at the ASD. Someone asked about merit scholarships, and we were told that they were trying to give the most money to the top applicants, but that some people might have been overlooked because they only had so much money to work with. The adcomm said we could ask them to review our file if we felt that we had been overlooked, but that they didn't have anymore money to give out at the moment. They then said that more money should free up after the first deposit deadline. hth

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:51 pm

forty-two wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:Someone posted that they 'ran out' here a couple of weeks ago and everyone else is just repeating that, I think. IMO, that might just have been one adcomm's excuse for why they didn't want to give someone a scholarship. I've asked about the veracity of this 'ran out' claim and no one posted to report verification.
They said this at the ASD. Someone asked about merit scholarships, and we were told that they were trying to give the most money to the top applicants, but that some people might have been overlooked because they only had so much money to work with. The adcomm said we could ask them to review our file if we felt that we had been overlooked, but that they didn't have anymore money to give out at the moment. They then said that more money should free up after the first deposit deadline. hth

Damn. :( Thanks for the clarification.

meggers88

New

Post by meggers88 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:19 pm

crap...i really wanted to go to USD, but not getting a scholarship may be a big consideration for me.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:28 pm

Last year I was given a pretty nice scholarship after the deposit deadline, so its possible if you havn't gotten any yet to still get some. (albeit I ended up getting of a different WL with even more money so i did not attend USC).

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:22 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
forty-two wrote:

I got grant information in the mail today. Pretty generous, very likely I will be attending.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

meggers88

New

Post by meggers88 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:45 pm

forty-two wrote:

I got grant information in the mail today. Pretty generous, very likely I will be attending.
when did you send in your fafsa?

also...what else did they say at admitted students day? what did they say about faculty and what did they really heavily promote? i just visited penn state and i'm pretty torn between the two, oddly enough.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:44 pm

meggers88 wrote:
when did you send in your fafsa?

also...what else did they say at admitted students day? what did they say about faculty and what did they really heavily promote? i just visited penn state and i'm pretty torn between the two, oddly enough.

Well I filled out the application online on March 1st, the deadline :oops: But FAFSA they sent me the paperwork telling me to sign it, and I had actually yet to send the forms in when I got the USD letter.

I guess what I'm saying is that the grants they give out have nothing to do with your FAFSA. It says in order to accept the grant, you must establish financial need, which won't be tough :) and therefore need to fill out all of the financial aid documentation. But it's not like they're waiting to receive FAFSAs before they send out grant info.

I do believe they are telling the truth about giving out more after the deposit deadlines are due, but I think they're bending the truth when they say they are flat out of money right now. Hope this helps.

cougsnjazz

New

Post by cougsnjazz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:09 am

I just withdrew so that's more money back in the pot for everyone! 72K, good luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”