Applying to MBA as a JD student Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TheWire

Bronze

Applying to MBA as a JD student

Post by TheWire » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:08 pm

Given that it is a little late for JD/MBA applications, I was wondering how difficult it would be to get into the MBA program when applying as a JD student. When I was going through the NYU site, it said that taking the GMAT is not required. If you were an above median student at NYU law, how plausible would it be to gain admittance to Stern after 1L or 2L?

Renzo

Gold

Re: Applying to MBA as a JD student

Post by Renzo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:10 pm

Most schools let you apply for the JD/MBA program at the end of your first year.

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:13 pm

Renzo wrote:Most schools let you apply for the JD/MBA program at the end of your first year.
How difficult does it seem to get into the program if applying then? Thanks

chinny123

New

Post by chinny123 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:19 pm

+1 on this question. Also, do you still NEED to have work experience?

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:22 pm

TheWire wrote:
Renzo wrote:Most schools let you apply for the JD/MBA program at the end of your first year.
Everything I hear says that this depends on the prestige of the schools in relation to one another. For instance, Yale Law to Yale business would be an easier get than Penn Law to Wharton. For schools where the B-school and law school are relatively equal it seems that being a student at one can basically serve as a strong soft factor. Acceptance rates are usually significantly higher when one is applying from within.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:30 pm

Rand M. wrote:
TheWire wrote:
Everything I hear says that this depends on the prestige of the schools in relation to one another. For instance, Yale Law to Yale business would be an easier get than Penn Law to Wharton. For schools where the B-school and law school are relatively equal it seems that being a student at one can basically serve as a strong soft factor. Acceptance rates are usually significantly higher when one is applying from within.
with respect to NYU...Renzo, por favor?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:48 pm

TheWire wrote:
Rand M. wrote:
TheWire wrote:
with respect to NYU...Renzo, por favor?
Sorry, I actually know more JD/MBAs at other schools than I know here, so anything I'd say would just be a guess.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:00 am

So, I'm a Columbia JD/MBA and applied during my first year.
Rand M. wrote: This depends on the prestige of the schools in relation to one another. For instance, Yale Law to Yale business would be an easier get than Penn Law to Wharton. For schools where the B-school and law school are relatively equal it seems that being a student at one can basically serve as a strong soft factor. Acceptance rates are usually significantly higher when one is applying from within.
This is generally true. In the case of NYU, I would say you have an advantage applying from the law school, since it is "better" than the business school. NYU also has relatively lax application requirements for current law students (no GMAT) which helps.

Work experience is not a must, and there are people who get in without it, but you will face an uphill battle. Business school admissions is much less about numbers (beyond a certain threshold), and much more about demonstrating that you are 1) a natural leader, 2) a good team player, 3) someone who can contribute interesting perspective, and 4) a generally sociable, easy to get along with person who can neverthless command respect. This is something that is usually demonstrated by prior work experience, but I imagine there are ways to get around it if you have a strong track record of leadership in college and/or come of well in the interview. The key thing to remember is unlike law schools, business schools are perfectly happy to reject a 3.9/780 if he comes off as either arrogant or socially inept (not saying that you will).

Also, you will have to demonstrate you have the quantitative horsepower to do the work. This probably means you need to 1) take the GMAT, 2) have quant-heavy work experience on your resume (consulting, banking), or 3) have a quant-heavy undergrad major.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:08 am

From what I here it's quite difficult to gain admission to the JD-MBA program from the JD program at NU.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:12 am

rayiner wrote:From what I here it's quite difficult to gain admission to the JD-MBA program from the JD program at NU.
Yeah it's pretty hard at Columbia too. An older JD/MBA I talked to when I was applying estimated they accepted "slightly less than half" or about 40% of applicants from the JD program. This is way better than the normal MBA admissions rate (15%), but it's still pretty low and is probably partially explained by the fact that all the applicants have good numbers.

Also, the average work experience for JD/MBAs here is probably 3-4 years. I only know of two people who came straight out of undergrad.

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:51 am

imchuckbass58 wrote:So, I'm a Columbia JD/MBA and applied during my first year.
Rand M. wrote: This depends on the prestige of the schools in relation to one another. For instance, Yale Law to Yale business would be an easier get than Penn Law to Wharton. For schools where the B-school and law school are relatively equal it seems that being a student at one can basically serve as a strong soft factor. Acceptance rates are usually significantly higher when one is applying from within.
This is generally true. In the case of NYU, I would say you have an advantage applying from the law school, since it is "better" than the business school. NYU also has relatively lax application requirements for current law students (no GMAT) which helps.

Work experience is not a must, and there are people who get in without it, but you will face an uphill battle. Business school admissions is much less about numbers (beyond a certain threshold), and much more about demonstrating that you are 1) a natural leader, 2) a good team player, 3) someone who can contribute interesting perspective, and 4) a generally sociable, easy to get along with person who can neverthless command respect. This is something that is usually demonstrated by prior work experience, but I imagine there are ways to get around it if you have a strong track record of leadership in college and/or come of well in the interview. The key thing to remember is unlike law schools, business schools are perfectly happy to reject a 3.9/780 if he comes off as either arrogant or socially inept (not saying that you will).

Also, you will have to demonstrate you have the quantitative horsepower to do the work. This probably means you need to 1) take the GMAT, 2) have quant-heavy work experience on your resume (consulting, banking), or 3) have a quant-heavy undergrad major.
This would basically be me...no GMAT, straight from undergrad...does anyone else have any experience or heard of any stories that may better illuminate the plausibility of this...

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:27 am

TheWire wrote:This would basically be me...no GMAT, straight from undergrad...does anyone else have any experience or heard of any stories that may better illuminate the plausibility of this...
Without any WE you should at least take the GMAT and do really well. People who get in w/o WE usually have excellent softs, i.e. leadership positions throughout UG, serious community involvement, etc. and high GMAT/UGPA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”