Northwestern ranked #1 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MURPH

Silver

Northwestern ranked #1

Post by MURPH » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:34 pm

For those looking for a big law job after law school... --LinkRemoved--

With a more balanced review of what this means... http://blog.veritasprep.com/2010/02/nor ... -does.html

holydonkey

Silver

Re: Northwestern ranked #1

Post by holydonkey » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:38 pm

Northwestern is in decline.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:39 pm

I think the second article is reaching - it is a good achievement for NU, and likely tied to the fact they are taking people with WE - it absolutely means something to an employer if you have significant prior WE as opposed to being green.

kinch

Bronze

Post by kinch » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:43 pm

I for one welcome our new Northwestern overlords.

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:49 pm

NU is a good school, but I really imagine this has something to do with NU's admissions policy. The majority of NU law students have some sort of real work experience, which I imagine is helpful when it comes to getting a job. That may not account for it all, but I really, really don't think someone should conclude from this data that NU is the best law school to go for if you want a biglaw job. That school is clearly Yale, despite the fact that Yale sends less than 50% directly into biglaw. Things are more nuanced than the data suggests.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:12 pm

No matter how you slice it, this is impressive for Northwestern and something all NU students (and 0L's) should be excited about. However, I also give a +1 to the following quote (from the 2nd link in the OP):

"If you revised this survey to include graduates who go into: 'NLJ top 250 firms, federal clerkships, and academic fellowship programs' (i.e., the three most prestigious paths, probably in reverse order), I promise you the list would look much different. "

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”