What major do law schools require Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HBK

Bronze

Re: What major do law schools require

Post by HBK » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:16 pm

im_blue wrote:
HBK wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Cestjustemoi wrote:I was an accounting and economics major and most of the admissions people I talked to said they would discount my gpa. Law schools love diversity. Also having a major that can actually get you a job with out law school is a good safety net. I would not take the "easiest" major in the end it might have just the same effect. Harder majors are given weight, for any lack in gpa. Study what you want do your best and then do well on the LSAT you should be fine.

No they aren't given more weight. But they also aren't given less weight.
+1

As a Finance major from a top five school, I have experienced this first hand.

It sucks when kids who took easy majors at joke schools get more consideration because they have higher GPAs, but that's the reality of the admissions game.
That's true, but it's not like you majored in math, physics, CS, engineering, or anything really hard.
It's harder than "Liberal Arts" or "General Studies"

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:19 pm

I suggest you double-major in astrophysics and chemical engineering and perhaps minor in Arabic

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:21 pm

Yea it's true, finance is not hard. I was a finance major, and it wasn't that it was difficult at all, the problem is that business majors are required to take a wide array of classes that I felt were mostly BS (like marketing) that I never tried in. I am angry at myself in hindsight for not getting the easy grades.

Credit

New

Post by Credit » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:05 pm

holydonkey wrote:The major most appropriate for the law school is the one that allows you to get the highest gpa. I'd switch from Business to Leisure/Exercise Science.
My school's exercise science program is considered to be quite difficult and challenging as it requires a good amount of physics and pharmacology, as well as other "actual" sciences. Not sure if its like that at other school though.

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:49 pm

lostjake wrote:
Gamecubesupreme wrote:
rayiner wrote:It's because smarter people go into physics/math.
Depends on how you define smart.

I know people who can do ridiculously amazing things with numbers and whatnot, but cry like a bitch when they are told to write a 20 page critical analysis on anything liberal arts related.
Where do people get jobs that require someone to write a 20 page critical analysis on anything liberal arts related without a law degree exactly?
What does that have to do what I said?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:02 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:
lostjake wrote:
Gamecubesupreme wrote:

I know people who can do ridiculously amazing things with numbers and whatnot, but cry like a bitch when they are told to write a 20 page critical analysis on anything liberal arts related.
Where do people get jobs that require someone to write a 20 page critical analysis on anything liberal arts related without a law degree exactly?
What does that have to do what I said?
Cry like a bitch because it is boring or because it is hard? Engineering and physics students I went to school considering liberal arts classes easy A's. We worked 1/5th as hard and got A's, maybe a B if we put in no effort.

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Cry like a bitch because it is boring or because it is hard? Engineering and physics students I went to school considering liberal arts classes easy A's. We worked 1/5th as hard and got A's, maybe a B if we put in no effort.
That's like liberal art students calling engineering easy because they took an intro to chem or physics class and got 90% in it. Which is something many people I know have done.

Of course the intro shit is easy. Trying taking some 4th year intensive seminar courses before you act all superior to others.

God engineering students piss me off sometimes.

ccs224

Bronze

Post by ccs224 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:12 am

lostjake wrote:
Gamecubesupreme wrote:

The ability to write extensively, critically and analytically would seem like pretty important skills for a profession in the law. You won't be writing Foucauldian analyses of Billy Budd, but I would expect the skills gained in most rigorous liberal arts curricula to be as or more transferable to law school and law work than, say, whatever skills you gain studying physics.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:18 am

Gamecubesupreme wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Cry like a bitch because it is boring or because it is hard? Engineering and physics students I went to school considering liberal arts classes easy A's. We worked 1/5th as hard and got A's, maybe a B if we put in no effort.
That's like liberal art students calling engineering easy because they took an intro to chem or physics class and got 90% in it. Which is something many people I know have done.

Of course the intro shit is easy. Trying taking some 4th year intensive seminar courses before you act all superior to others.

Trust me. DF and his hard science buddies all took Graduate seminars on Beowulf and Sir Gawain, which of course they read in the original Old English, discussed in Latin, and wrote about in Homeric Greek.

This is TLS. Hard Science majors are gods who walk among us. They will come again in glory to balance equations and their proofs shall have no end.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:38 am

Gamecubesupreme wrote:

I took a 300 level philosophy course and it wasn't any harder than the intro shit. Liberal Arts students GPA's don't suddenly tank once they take 300 and 400 level class. I was buddies with the philosophy club at my undergrad and they all admitted their classes were fairly easy.

If you took a chem or physics course for majors and did well, you'd probably be able to do well in most engineering classes.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:44 am

TipTravHoot wrote:
Gamecubesupreme wrote:

Trust me. DF and his hard science buddies all took Graduate seminars on Beowulf and Sir Gawain, which of course they read in the original Old English, discussed in Latin, and wrote about in Homeric Greek.

This is TLS. Hard Science majors are gods who walk among us. They will come again in glory to balance equations and their proofs shall have no end.
Understanding Beowulf in old English doesn't require great intelligence, it requires great knowledge. There is a difference.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:47 am

Desert Fox wrote:Understanding Beowulf in old English doesn't require great intelligence, it requires great knowledge. There is a difference.
DF you could take the fun out of multiple orgasms.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:50 am

TipTravHoot wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Understanding Beowulf in old English doesn't require great intelligence, it requires great knowledge. There is a difference.
That you think I've made a girl experience a multiple orgasm is a great complement.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ccs224

Bronze

Post by ccs224 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:52 am

Desert Fox wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:
That you think I've made a girl experience a multiple orgasm is a great complement.
I don't think the statement implies that you could cause them, but only that you could ruin them.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:55 am

ccs224 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:
I don't think the statement implies that you could cause them, but only that you could ruin them.
Yea I guess I could just be around ruining it even if I didn't cause it.

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:58 am

Look let's stop all the bickering. Everyone knows the hard science majors are harder than the others, including admissions councils (not that they care).

EDIT: also, those of you who think hard science majors DON'T read/write critically/do critical analysis during their undergrad degrees (try a thesis, a LOT independent research, analysis of dense published papers, writing many many papers, etc) are seriously misinformed.
Last edited by icydash on Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:00 am

icydash wrote:Look let's stop all the bickering. Everyone knows the hard science majors are harder then the others, including admissions councils (not that they care).
And just because it is harder doesn't mean people who do the easier majors are less intelligent. It just means the picked the smarter major for law school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:02 am

Amen.

/thread.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:03 am

icydash wrote:Look let's stop all the bickering. Everyone knows the hard science majors are harder then the others, including admissions councils (not that they care).

EDIT: also, those of you who think engineering majors / hard science majors DON'T write critically/do critical analysis during their undergrad degrees (a thesis, a LOT independent research, analysis of dense published papers, writing many many papers, etc) are seriously misinformed.
The bickering's a lot more fun than the same tired ass discussion about which major one should choose for law school. How about we move on to evaluating the importance of soft factors. That's always a barn burner.

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:04 am

TipTravHoot wrote:

EDIT: also, those of you who think engineering majors / hard science majors DON'T write critically/do critical analysis during their undergrad degrees (a thesis, a LOT independent research, analysis of dense published papers, writing many many papers, etc) are seriously misinformed.
The bickering's a lot more fun than the same tired ass discussion about which major one should choose for law school. How about we move on to evaluating the importance of soft factors. That's always a barn burner.
LoL.

Importance...Of soft factors? Wah?

At BEST I give softs 10% weight in your application.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:09 am

TipTravHoot wrote:

Lets talk about undergrad prestige instead. That is always fun.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ccs224

Bronze

Post by ccs224 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:11 am

icydash wrote: EDIT: also, those of you who think hard science majors DON'T read/write critically/do critical analysis during their undergrad degrees (try a thesis, a LOT independent research, analysis of dense published papers, writing many many papers, etc) are seriously misinformed.
I don't think the disagreement was about who does what sort of college work, but whether the skills acquired through a liberal arts degree were of use in a law career. I have no idea what sort of work engineering students do (build engines?), but I'm sure they also gain valuable skills (like working through terribly boring text books, etc) that would help them in law school. I would hazard a guess that someone with a lit or history degree probably reads, writes and interprets significantly more than hard science majors, but if that is not the case, I think that we can all agree that they at least exit college more cultured, witty, urbane and get laid exponentially more often. That is, when DesertFox isn't fucking things up.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:18 am

ccs224 wrote:
icydash wrote: EDIT: also, those of you who think hard science majors DON'T read/write critically/do critical analysis during their undergrad degrees (try a thesis, a LOT independent research, analysis of dense published papers, writing many many papers, etc) are seriously misinformed.
I don't think the disagreement was about who does what sort of college work, but whether the skills acquired through a liberal arts degree were of use in a law career. I have no idea what sort of work engineering students do (build engines?), but I'm sure they also gain valuable skills (like working through terribly boring text books, etc) that would help them in law school. I would hazard a guess that someone with a lit or history degree probably reads, writes and interprets significantly more than hard science majors, but if that is not the case, I think that we can all agree that they at least exit college more cultured, witty, urbane and get laid exponentially more often. That is, when DesertFox isn't fucking things up.
Engineers are nerdy before they get to school. They wouldn't be getting laid no matter what their degree.

Also I think you overvalue a college degree no matter what the degree. For most people it is four years of cramming the night before for classes you didn't read for. Not four years of being cultured and gaining wit.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:22 am

Desert Fox wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:

You mean to tell me that a 3.5 in electrical engineering from MIT won't count more than the 3.7 in women's studies from University of Alaska? :?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:24 am

im_blue wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:

You mean to tell me that a 3.5 in electrical engineering from MIT won't count more than the 3.7 in women's studies from University of Alaska? :?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”