opinions please Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
koeni082

New

opinions please

Post by koeni082 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:17 am

my situation:
applied to madison with both numbers at 50%. just looked over the pdf of my application on lsac and realized that in an addendum i forgot to substitute 'Marquette Law School' for 'Wisconsin Law School'. the doc is a short pgraph explaining why there was an open period of 'more than 6 months' during my undergrad (without details: my yearlong study abroad program was affected by in-country politics resulting in me canceling the spring semester of my junior year - I returned to the university in fall, used research from abroad for senior thesis and still graduated in four years).

do i...
- email admissions to notify them of the mistake and ensure them that madison is my first choice?
or
- wait to see if they waitlist me (assuming no rejection) before submitting any kind of LOCI

Snuffie

New

Re: opinions please

Post by Snuffie » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:20 am

Ouch. Uh. Personally I'd just wait and see. There's no good way to recover from this simple, though potentially glaring oversight. Drawing more attention to it wouldn't help. Ride it out.

Edit: Sorry I misread this. If the oversight was in an addendum, it's probably not a big deal. Addendums get recycled. It happens. Now if this had happened in your personal statement I'd be worried. Here? Meh. I think trying to explain it would do more harm than good. That said, if you have a tendency to dwell endlessly on these types of mistakes, and contacting the school will make you feel better, then I say do it.

Sangiovese

Bronze

Post by Sangiovese » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:00 pm

I disagree with the "don't draw attention to it" mindset. You named the wrong school. If they have read it, they already saw the mistake. They won't need you to draw attention to it :)

I would email a corrected version and say something along the lines of "I mistakenly sent a draft version of Addendum X. Please replace Addendum X with this corrected version."

People make mistakes. It's how you react to them that makes the difference. Cowering in the corner and hoping someone doesn't notice says one thing about you. Fixing it in a matter-of-fact manner says something entirely different. You decide how you want to represent yourself :)

chocho

New

Post by chocho » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:03 pm

yeah whatever you do dont bug out too much, it was an addendum, its not like your saying i think i would be a great fit a school Y, when you really meant school x.

koeni082

New

Post by koeni082 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:50 pm

Sangiovese wrote: I would email a corrected version and say something along the lines of "I mistakenly sent a draft version of Addendum X. Please replace Addendum X with this corrected version."
i was set on riding it out but this is convincing - thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”