. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sunrunner

New

Post by sunrunner » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:14 pm

Last edited by sunrunner on Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

dakatz

Gold

Re: So, I Applied Late And My Scholarship Offers Are Lower Than

Post by dakatz » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:18 pm

sunrunner wrote:those of others with similar numbers who were admitted earlier in the cycle, judging by LSN. Some schools that seemed to be giving out 15K to every person in my range are now giving nothing to the same types of candidates.

I think I'm going to reapply to many of the same schools next year in hopes of getting more money. I will of course write a different personal statement, but what about letters of recommendation? Getting new ones could be challenging.
You can absolutely reuse the ones from this year without any problem.

sunrunner

New

Post by sunrunner » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:20 pm

dakatz wrote:
sunrunner wrote:those of others with similar numbers who were admitted earlier in the cycle, judging by LSN. Some schools that seemed to be giving out 15K to every person in my range are now giving nothing to the same types of candidates.

I think I'm going to reapply to many of the same schools next year in hopes of getting more money. I will of course write a different personal statement, but what about letters of recommendation? Getting new ones could be challenging.
Good to know. Load off of my mind.

Yeah, applying late January/early February has led to some acceptances but little to no money while others with even lower numbers were receiving fairly generous amounts earlier. I can't stomach paying more knowing that if I apply early next year, I might very well receive a huge tuition break.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:22 pm

sunrunner wrote:
dakatz wrote:

Good to know. Load off of my mind.

Yeah, applying late January/early February has led to some acceptances but little to no money while others with even lower numbers were receiving fairly generous amounts earlier. I can't stomach paying more knowing that if I apply early next year, I might very well receive a huge tuition break.
That is very smart of you to sacrifice some time in order to save a solid chunk of money in the long-run. Your plan will most likely work out just the way you want it to, especially since you will be able to apply VERY early next cycle.

voice of reason

Bronze

Post by voice of reason » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:27 pm

Try asking a couple of them for money now. It can't hurt if you ask nicely and it might save you a year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

frankjones

New

Post by frankjones » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:30 pm

OP, how do you know that you aren't getting any money? From what I understand, most schools haven't made most financial aid offers. Have all of yours already?

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:34 pm

If I don't get into my top choice, I also plan on taking a smiliar course of action. Also if you think you can do better on your LSAT it wouldn't hurt to give it another shot in June, especially since most schools take the highest score.

Another side question, do schools usually ask for the same kind of personal statement year after year? I plan to write mine especially for each school during the summer so I can get my applications in super early.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:44 pm

A lot of schools still haven't sent their offers, but if you know that your target schools have already not offered you anything, delaying the cycle is probably the best choice. I know from experience that December/January applications got me waitlisted at places where I would have had scholarship money if I applied earlier, but luckily UVA came through.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:40 pm

You should also consider the opportunity cost of waiting another year, versus starting your degree and having an extra year of post-JD employment on the other end.

If you've got a decent job right now, might as well earn some more money. If not, delaying may not be worth it unless the difference in scholarship money is significant enough to make a difference down the road.

sunrunner

New

Post by sunrunner » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:42 pm

missinglink wrote:You should also consider the opportunity cost of waiting another year, versus starting your degree and having an extra year of post-JD employment on the other end.

If you've got a decent job right now, might as well earn some more money. If not, delaying may not be worth it unless the difference in scholarship money is significant enough to make a difference down the road.
I've thought about that. It's just that debt has a way of lingering.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”