Georgetown or In State UCLA??? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
allstarballer22

New

Georgetown or In State UCLA???

Post by allstarballer22 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:37 pm

Input on this please! (DC seems attractive but UCLA..is oh so lovely)!

TTTennis

Bronze

Re: Georgetown or In State UCLA???

Post by TTTennis » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:41 pm

UCLA. GeorgeTTTown is a degree mill.

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:44 pm

U. C. L. A.

allstarballer22

New

Post by allstarballer22 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:45 pm

I was thinking along these lines as well. Plus sticker at Georgetown is a whopping 60k plus..

JustDude

Bronze

Post by JustDude » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:48 pm

allstarballer22 wrote:I was thinking along these lines as well. Plus sticker at Georgetown is a whopping 60k plus..
Do you want to stay in California???

If so, UCLA in SoCal is no different then GT in NorthEast.

60K a year??? Good lord.

How much UCLA in state???..,.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

allstarballer22

New

Post by allstarballer22 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:53 pm

I was thinking of a transition to the East Coast for a change..however, with these fees I am doubting if it is a wise idea. UCLA will come to around 35-40k a year..

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:03 pm

UCLA if you want to work in CA.

JustDude

Bronze

Post by JustDude » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:44 pm

allstarballer22 wrote:I was thinking of a transition to the East Coast for a change..however, with these fees I am doubting if it is a wise idea. UCLA will come to around 35-40k a year..
Think about getting a job and paying loans for a change.

In SoCal UCLA is one out of two major schools (UCLA USC) for a huge LA area market. In the East Coast, you will have a 1K only GT grads to compete againnts. Plus all other schools.

cardnal124

Bronze

Post by cardnal124 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:50 pm

Youcla. Unless you want to live in DC, the east coast, and/or go into politics. Still Ucla

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:55 pm

allstarballer22 wrote:I was thinking of a transition to the East Coast for a change..however, with these fees I am doubting if it is a wise idea. UCLA will come to around 35-40k a year..
It's f*cking cold here during the winter. Finally it's above 50F in NYC, but it's not going to stay that way. It snowed 56" in DC this year - while such weather is definitely an outlier, blizzards are far from uncommon.
If you bagged Columbia, NYU, or even Penn, I'd say it's worth it. But Gtown? Remember it competes with UVa in VA in addition to the other 1K students mentioned above.
UCLA is king in LA - Plus, Westwood is BEAUTIFUL and you're in-state! It's a no-brainer!!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:04 pm

UCLA in-state tuition is an estimated $134k over the next 3 years (--LinkRemoved--). GULC tuition is $43,750 now, so that should be a 3-year total of roughly $139k, assuming 3% annual increases.

I'd pick UCLA if you're staying in LA, but GULC gives you more national portability.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:10 pm

UCLA, hands down.

Hopefullawstudent

Bronze

Post by Hopefullawstudent » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:37 am

As someone who has this very choice to mull over, I've made up my mind: UCLA.

I was told by a UChicago Law student the following advice (on what to make of the bottom T14 vs. UCLA): "When you get that far down the list, near the bottom of the T14, the rankings DO NOT MATTER nearly as much as in the T10. Anything outside of the T10, and you're still going to have to gun your way to the corporate job - Georgetown has a bigger class, so I don't know how that exactly plays into the class-ranks, but I know that you should be aiming for above median there at all times. UCLA is in a different market. You'll want to try to place top third at UCLA, but that depends on the legal market of course. All in all, there are other factors to consider than job placement and I can say that Georgetown and UCLA are really not comparable on those dimensions. For you (my name), I'd say UCLA - in-state tuition, better weather, your family is on the West Coast - it's an easy call. Go to UCLA, don't worry about #13, #14 vs. #15, #16. It just doesn't matter, especially if you're aiming for west of the Mississippi..."

There ya go.

UCLA!

voice of reason

Bronze

Post by voice of reason » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:51 pm

For this choice, all that matters is where you want to have your career. If you want to practice in DC, definitely go to Georgetown. If you want to practice in California, especially southern California, definitely go to UCLA.

As others have pointed out, there is probably not going to be a big cost difference between UCLA in-state and GULC. The 2009-2010 UCLA tuition is about $36K, but all the UC law fees are projected to skyrocket and UCLA is most likely going to cost you about the same as GULC. Any savings will be eaten up by the fact that you will need a car in LA.

The proposed 2010-2011 fees for UCLA law are on page 21 of this:
http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/r ... v09/f2.pdf

UCLA's website is still misleading about this, since it just has the 2009 fees. Berkeley is being forthcoming about the fees (http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6943.htm). UCLA will be only slightly lower than Berk.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”