Gonzaga v. Louisville Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
citrus2010

New

Gonzaga v. Louisville

Post by citrus2010 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:33 pm

Similarly ranked. Both regional. Should I base my decision solely on which geographic region I prefer (costs being equal)? Is there anything else I should think about? Please give me your opinions.

reebtoor

Bronze

Re: Gonzaga v. Louisville

Post by reebtoor » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:38 pm

I can't speak for Louisville, but I live in Spokane, and know several lawyers and GU law students. The lawyers have done their best to convince me not to go to any law school, and the students are in a panic, because even the 2Ls and 3Ls I know, several of whom are on law review, are still looking for anything they can find--even as far away as Idaho Falls--without success. I would advise absolutely anyone against Gonzaga at this point. The Spokane market is in gridlock at best, and that is probably your best shot out of Gonzaga.

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:10 am

Do not go to Gonzaga.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:29 am

If you have no geographic preference, U of L is going to give you a better experience and job prospects, I think. If I was looking in the bottom-T2, top-T3 range, I'd probably choose Louisville over all of the others.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:42 am

I live in Spokane and it kind of stinks. At least the winter hasn't been awful this year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Chromakey

New

Post by Chromakey » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:43 am

reebtoor wrote: The Spokane market is in gridlock at best, and that is probably your best shot out of Gonzaga.
This. I live in Spokane as well and ultimately decided against even applying to Gonzaga for this very reason. I can't really speak to the market in and around Louisville, but prospects in Spokane are limited and don't seem likely to get much better in the short term. Both schools are relatively regional, so unless you have ties/connections to a particular area, I would choose the one that would leave you with the least amount of debt.

citrus2010

New

Post by citrus2010 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:37 am

I have had two friends at Gonzaga. One is currently a 1L and is still optimistic. The other transferred out.

Is everything gridlocked like that up in the northwest? I got accepted to Willamette too...

Chromakey

New

Post by Chromakey » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:47 pm

citrus2010 wrote:I have had two friends at Gonzaga. One is currently a 1L and is still optimistic. The other transferred out.

Is everything gridlocked like that up in the northwest? I got accepted to Willamette too...
I might suggest calling these schools to see if they can put you in touch with an alum. No one is going to know the market better than someone who has recently graduated and is currently practicing.

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:24 am

akili wrote:I live in Spokane and it kind of stinks. At least the winter hasn't been awful this year.
That's true. The last two winters were brutal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Clever_User_Name

New

Post by Clever_User_Name » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:51 pm

citrus2010 wrote:I have had two friends at Gonzaga. One is currently a 1L and is still optimistic. The other transferred out.

Well, obviously everything kind of sucks right now. Also, again obviously, the legal market on the west side (Seattle, Tacoma etc. (my neck of the woods)), is going to be a different and bigger market. In the past, UW and Seattle U. grads have not had a bad deal on this side of the mountains. I have no idea how zag grads fair over here, but I imagine not as good, although I'm sure even UW grads are having trouble at the moment.

Clever_User_Name

New

Post by Clever_User_Name » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:58 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Louisville's full court schemes are too much for Gonzaga.
I knew that would happen. You must admit, for such a small school it is amazing that Gonzaga puts out such good teams consistently.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:04 pm

Spokane is ghettttttttt-o. If you want a lower ranked school in the NW, go to U of Idaho. It will probably place you better or at least equivalent to Gonzaga with much, much less cost.

MaineCourse

New

Post by MaineCourse » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:08 pm

Gonzaga has a good record during the regular season, but never does anything in the post-season. Get to a Final Four before the country will take you seriously.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”