Summer internship choice.. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rundoxierun

Gold

Summer internship choice..

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:10 pm

Ok, so Im entering my last summer before applying to law school and its time to get an internship. I will likely have two main choices, both with their own pros. I know this is usually a pretty minor soft but I am a URM whose top choices are Stanford/Berkeley(if they give me money) so any little bit would help. Ive also heard that URM applications may be scrutinized a bit more than mainstream candidates.

1) Teaching for a literacy program with one the children's defense fund freedom schools. This choice is attractive because it, along with another volunteer tutoring program i did, will allow me to connect a job that have done with my personal statement topic(why education is important to me/how it has affected my life). In addition, I am a first generation college student so helping disadvantaged children kind of makes my personal statement more personal. Pay is decent(2500ish for 6-7 weeks of work)

2) Corporate internship at the headquarters of a Fortune 500 company. Obviously this gives me good work experience, a big name on my resume, and a connection to a major company. Pay is also a little better (4k+ for 9 weeks).

Any advice/thoughts?? Im not really sure how much the whole having the teaching experience thing will help my application and while im not really desperate for money, having an extra 1500+ could be pretty helpful with the expenses I am going to have with law school stuff coming up.

gwuorbust

Gold

Re: Summer internship choice..

Post by gwuorbust » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:15 pm

neither will effect you LS in really anyway (except for, perhaps, how you want to frame yourself). Law schools care about LSAT, GPA, URM status... so do whichever want you feel really drawn to!

Laina

Bronze

Re: Summer internship choice..

Post by Laina » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:56 pm

Will you be framing your application as more PI-focused or corporate-focused? I'm a huge believer in establishing a narrative through your resume, PS, and DS, esp for URM candidates who need to demonstrate exactly what they will be contributing to the school if not bumping medians. Go with what you're really interested in and relates most closely with your goals in law school and beyond. Both will look equally good if you can articulate how they've helped you grow and solidify your interest in your career choice.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”