Hoping for USC. Am I dreaming? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
shl023

New

Hoping for USC. Am I dreaming?

Post by shl023 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:01 am

Hi everyone. First time posting.

I graduated from UCSD with a Economics degree in Dec of 2009. While my plan all along has been to gain work experience in business (fiance) for two years then go off to get my MBA, my interest in going to a law school has grown drastically over these couple of months. Through some quick research I have come to realize that gpa, recommendations, and the lsat score are the key elements in getting into a good law school.

I first started considereing law school because I saw a chance in being able to get into USC and UCLA with my UCSD gpa of 3.6. However, I have now come to realize that LSDAS gpa is what truely matters and not the degree gpa. I used the website lawpad.com to calculate my lsac gpa and it turns out due to a "D" I once received (and made up to a A) and some Cs I received at the community college before my transfer that my gpa has gone down to a 3.49.

At this point I have almost given up on UCLA but I am hoping that I still have a chance at USC. I have read another thread about how one can get into USC with a gpa of 3.6 and LSAT score of 167 but clearly my gpa is alot lower.
I was hoping many of you can give me the "ice cold" facts and truth about my situation and if I should even persue shooting for USC.

And also. Having found out that the LSAT tests are held four times a year and that UCLA and USC application deadlines are February, my oriiginal plan (so far) has been to study for about 6 months the LSAT than take the test in October and then perhaps again in Dec before I submit my applications. I know that given my lack of knowledge that I might be planning out my 2010 without all the facts.

I was hoping that everyone could give me a hand and tell me first of all if I still have a chance at USC and if in fact, I am on the right track. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
Last edited by shl023 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Re: Hoping for USC. Am I dreaming?

Post by Sauer Grapes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:15 am

Get a 170 on the LSAT and both USC and UCLA are possible. UCLA might still be a reach since they are GPA whores, but it'll be possible. It all hinges on your LSAT.

USC may be possible with <170, but why not shoot for a 170+

ogman05

Bronze

Re: Hoping for USC. Am I dreaming?

Post by ogman05 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:51 am

This and if you can shoot to take in June. That way apps are in early and give you the best shot. Worst case you can take again in september. Everyone applies right after dec scores are recvd. ITs the highest influx of apps.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”