What would you do Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
icydash

Bronze

Re: What would you do

Post by icydash » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:21 am

onthecusp wrote:I'm still holding out hope for at least a TT admit...I really just wanted to see what people would say about taking TTTT for free over going to a better school, that wasn't a tier 1...probably at sticker.
From top-law-schools profile: Over 6800 applicants seek admission to Loyola Law School each year. Loyola generally accepts 24% of these applicants and these admitted students have GPAs ranging from a 3.17 to a 3.61 and a LSAT score ranging from a 158-163 (these ranges are for students at the 25th and 75th percentiles respectively, the median GPA is a 3.42 and median LSAT is 161).

So you're at the median for the LSAT, and a little below 25% on GPA... but a URM. I think you have a real good shot at Loyola. You'd have a much better shot if you upped your LSAT to a 165, making you a splitter.

To answer your specific question, though: I would say choose Tier 1/2 school over TTTT with money. The difference between a tier 4 and a tier 1/2 school is large. But if the choice is TTTT + $ ....or TTT .... go TTTT + $ because the difference between a tier 3 and tier 4 school is negligible.
Last edited by icydash on Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

onthecusp

Bronze

Post by onthecusp » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:24 am

MURPH wrote:
onthecusp wrote:
icydash wrote:
This seems like a cool job (something I've thought about), and you're correct about it often being the lower ranked school graduates who take it. However, you can still be a DA comming from a higher ranked school, while leaving many, many more doors open. You can still probably get this job coming from a TTT school, but then if god forbid one day you decide you want to do something else in law, you're really, really in a bad position.

If it's not your LSAT score that's the problem, then what is it--UGPA?
I graduated from Devry. Seriously. Long story....don't really want to get into it. The only way I can justify the scholarship offers I've received is they must have really liked my personal statement / Diversity statement.

Again....LOOOONNNNG STORY. I'm not lazy, I'm not an idiot...I did what I had to do. And I'd rather not make this about that.

And you make a great point. And who knows...maybe I get into Loyola. And if not, I'm going to try like hell to get into one of the local top schools via transfer. I'm also trying to stay realistic.
The scholarship offers may be offered to almost everyone as a way of luring the students into one section and then dumping 2/3 or them from the scholarship lists as the previous poster explained.
If you think you have the balls to be top gunner at a T4 then why not just spend 3 months studying for the LSAT 4-6 hours per day 5-6 days per week until the June test. Pull a 170+ and go to Loyola. Seriously. This is so much smarter than going to a TTTT with the hope of transferring. You wrote that is is not you LSAT that is holding you back but there are very few things you can control at this point. You can't undo your undergraduate school and you can't undo your GPA. You can control four things that will make a difference
1. You can get a hight LSAT score.
2. you can write a kick ass PS. It sounds like you did write a good one so let it simmer for a while and after the June LSAT, take another look and rewrite it.
3. You can apply in the first week of the cycle when adcoms are supposed to be more lenient.
4. Volunteer at the DA office for a year, once a week for 5 hours or so.

That is what you can do. It will give you a stronger foundation from which you can build a future for your family. It will help you get into a better school and get the job you want upon graduation.
Or go to a T3 or T4 with a risky scholarship.
Definitely something to think about, and you make a lot of good points. I think I'm going to ride out the cycle, see what happens, and re-evaluate everything when I get my decisions back. I won't rule out shooting for a 170+ next June or September.

lt0826

Bronze

Post by lt0826 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:28 am

I think if you already have connections with the DA/PD office then taking a free ride has a lot of merit. FWIW, listen to this podcast:
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ann-levine ... everything

GL getting into Loyola. But I would definitely give weight to a free ride especially if it doesn't have an x% of class condition or a high GPA requirement with a B- curve or something like that.

Also, I hear LaVerne is very marketable in the Riverside area if that is where you want to practice. Good luck and I admire you for doing what you need to do to get to where you want to be. We all have different circumstances.

BTW, don't know much about DeVry, but if it is accredited I think it may be less of a problem than you think if you have a bachelors from them. . .

onthecusp

Bronze

Post by onthecusp » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:33 am

lt0826 wrote:I think if you already have connections with the DA/PD office then taking a free ride has a lot of merit. FWIW, listen to this podcast:
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ann-levine ... everything

GL getting into Loyola. But I would definitely give weight to a free ride especially if it doesn't have an x% of class condition or a high GPA requirement with a B- curve or something like that.

Also, I hear LaVerne is very marketable in the Riverside area if that is where you want to practice. Good luck and I admire you for doing what you need to do to get to where you want to be. We all have different circumstances.

BTW, don't know much about DeVry, but if it is accredited I think it may be less of a problem than you think if you have a bachelors from them. . .
Thank you sir...and at the very least, it is properly accredited, and I do have a bachelors from them.

hsprophet

Bronze

Post by hsprophet » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:58 am

I would take the money. If you wanted to work at a high-rise NYC firm, it would be different.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:07 am

Kchuck wrote:
icydash wrote: I don't get it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Would_You_Do%3F
wow, this brought back awesome memories.

Snuffie

New

Post by Snuffie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:40 am

Hey OP, FWIW I'm rooting for you! (When) Did you apply to Loyola?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:43 am

Even at a T2, the chances of getting a job that will be able to pay back your loans in a reasonable amount of time is really low. If you can't get into a good school, you need to go for free.

flchick1

New

Post by flchick1 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:59 am

Cupidity wrote:If you get unconditional full-tuition from any school, I'd take it over any debt at a TTT. Beware though, many lower ranked schools put strings on their scholarships and section stack. In practice this means:

100 kids at Florida Coastal get full ride requiring they are in the top 1/3

They all get placed in the same section

66 of them automatically lose their scholarship by the end of the first semester

So, beware of any money the TTTorTTTT schools offer you.
So, it's top 1/3 out of the section, not the entire class?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Even at a T2, the chances of getting a job that will be able to pay back your loans in a reasonable amount of time is really low. If you can't get into a good school, you need to go for free.
+1. Do not go to a T2 at sticker unless you want to be an indentured servant when you get out. Even at many T1s, the prospects are bleak.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”