Withdrawing from an UG class after being accepted. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
alannak

New

Withdrawing from an UG class after being accepted.

Post by alannak » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:10 am

Hi!

I've already been accepted to several schools. I'm taking this class that I don't need for my major or to graduate that I thought would be fun and interesting, but like many classes, turned out to be boring with an excessive amount of busy work.

It's past the add/drop deadline, so If I wanted to get out of this class I'd have to withdraw. Only one of the schools I applied to asked for the classes I'm taking this semester, and I am DEFINITELY not attending that school.

None of the schools I've been accepted to are anything extra special (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... w=viewpoll hehe)... but I was offered scholarships. Do you think any school would revoke their offers if I withdrew? I already have 2 withdraws on my transcript and one class taken pass/fail (I passed).

Do you think if potentially I wanted to transfer that it would affect my opportunities in the future?

Thank you!

Ty Webb

Silver

Re: Withdrawing from an UG class after being accepted.

Post by Ty Webb » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:13 am

The number of completely worrisome and obsessive-compulsive people on this website never ceases to amaze me.

OP, I'm going to pretend you didn't ask this question seriously.

gossipgirl

Bronze

Post by gossipgirl » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:15 am

Ty Webb wrote:The number of completely worrisome and obsessive-compulsive people on this website never ceases to amaze me.

I agree with a stipulation.

I know some UG admissions acceptances were predicated on the fact that you didn't fail any classes in your senior year or otherwise had a large dropoff in performance. If OP withdraws after the deadline with a W that counts as a F, it could be problematic. If I was you, I would call the school lowest on your list and ask if they care at all about the punitive W that you would get.

Better safe than sorry... :)

DukeHopeful

Bronze

Post by DukeHopeful » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:19 am

gossipgirl wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:The number of completely worrisome and obsessive-compulsive people on this website never ceases to amaze me.

I know some UG admissions acceptances were predicated on the fact that you didn't fail any classes in your senior year or otherwise had a large dropoff in performance. If OP withdraws after the deadline with a W that counts as a F, it could be problematic. If I was you, I would call the school lowest on your list and ask if they care at all about the punitive W that you would get.

A W isn't punitive, only a WF counts against you. As long as OP withdraws before the allowed deadline, they should be perfectly fine. After the deadline, or for reasons beyond your control (i.e. disciplinary) result in a WF that counts against your GPA.

jerichogringo

New

Post by jerichogringo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:19 am

First of all, a W does not count as an F/E, according to LSAC a Withdraw carries no punitive mark. Secondly, I doubt that even if you failed the class the schools that have already accepted you based on your gpa/lsat score will care considering you will not be submitting your grades through LSAC again. All they want to see is that you graduate and get a BA/BS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:20 am

gossipgirl wrote:

Ws do not count as Fs.

I think it's a safe assumption that this seemingly anal person would not withdraw from a course if it meant taking an F.

I mean, he came to a message board to ask if having a W on his transcript would cost him already offered scholarships.

gossipgirl

Bronze

Post by gossipgirl » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:21 am

Ty Webb wrote:
gossipgirl wrote:

Ws do not count as Fs.

I think it's a safe assumption that this seemingly anal person would not withdraw from a course if it meant taking an F.

I mean, he came to a message board to ask if having a W on his transcript would cost him already offered scholarships.
You're probably correct.

I know for some school transcripts, a W is punitive while a different letter is denoted as a non-punitive withdrawal. Therein lies my confusion.

macatak911

Bronze

Post by macatak911 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:18 am

FWIW: I have ~ 13 W's on my transcript and have been accepted to two T1's and a T3. You'll be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”