What do I say to get more money? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cvnrssm

New

What do I say to get more money?

Post by cvnrssm » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:34 pm

I have a meeting with the Assistant Director of Law Admissions at UGA this week. I'm from the state of Georgia and i went to uga for undergrad...164/177 and a 3.49 and URM...they offered me 5K a year when i was first accepted but now I'm trying to get more money out of them if possible...I'm wondering how i should go about this when i meet with this lady on wednesday, thanks.

whuts4lunch

Bronze

Re: What do I say to get more money?

Post by whuts4lunch » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:39 pm

177 and 3.5 URM??? go get $$$ from the T6!

cvnrssm

New

Post by cvnrssm » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:40 pm

considering ive been waitlisted from uva and gulc, im not sure how much money a t6 schools is going to through my way

DukeHopeful

Bronze

Post by DukeHopeful » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:42 pm

whuts4lunch wrote:177 and 3.5 URM??? go get $$$ from the T6!
This. Why are you considering UGA? I'm actually interested in your reasoning, it doesn't really seem to make much sense.

EDIT: You were waitlisted after that LSAT? Or before it? Also, it could be YP, as they might think with that LSAT and URM you're def headed higher.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:43 pm

"this is a stickup!"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cvnrssm

New

Post by cvnrssm » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:53 pm

I was waitlisted after my 177....it has been a really confusing cycle for me, i was straight up denied from boston college the other day...but anyways Ive been reading about how tough it is to find a job right now and im starting to think that it would be really nice to come out of law school debt free and atlanta tops the list of places i would want to work so thats why I'm starting to look again at uga and emory, but i just feel like i have a better shot at getting a free ride at uga at this point

lawhawk

Bronze

Post by lawhawk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:56 pm

are you really a URM? Do you have any convictions?

Maybe YP at UVA? BC is weird.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:58 pm

cvnrssm wrote:I was waitlisted after my 177....it has been a really confusing cycle for me, i was straight up denied from boston college the other day...but anyways Ive been reading about how tough it is to find a job right now and im starting to think that it would be really nice to come out of law school debt free and atlanta tops the list of places i would want to work so thats why I'm starting to look again at uga and emory, but i just feel like i have a better shot at getting a free ride at uga at this point
UGA doesn't offer full rides.

Dude, with your numbers you'll almost certainly get Chicago/NYU and money at Duke. Any T14 will place better in top Atlanta firms than UGA/Emory if you have ties (which it seems like you do).

iYale

New

Post by iYale » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:00 pm

Did you omit anything worth mentioning from your original post (maybe a criminal record, pending charges, etc?) because I don't understand why you'd be outright denied at BC or waitlisted any where else for that matter with your numbers and URM status. It seems rather unusual.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cvnrssm

New

Post by cvnrssm » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:13 pm

i mean i had a public intox/ disorderly conduct and then just a straight up disorderly conduct in undergrad, but i didnt think that really mattered especially considering my roomate just got accepted in to texas with scholarship money with a pending dui charge, plus two other previous minor in possesion of alcohol charges

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:14 pm

"Hand job?"

iYale

New

Post by iYale » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:17 pm

cvnrssm wrote:i mean i had a public intox/ disorderly conduct and then just a straight up disorderly conduct in undergrad, but i didnt think that really mattered especially considering my roomate just got accepted in to texas with scholarship money with a pending dui charge, plus two other previous minor in possesion of alcohol charges
Paradox resolved :D ...Have you applied to Texas?

cvnrssm

New

Post by cvnrssm » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:18 pm

would a public intox and disorderly conduct really keep me from being accepted to t14?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

iYale

New

Post by iYale » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:24 pm

cvnrssm wrote:would a public intox and disorderly conduct really keep me from being accepted to t14?
Idk. how disorderly was your conduct, and I wouldn't worry too much about public intox . The fact of the matter is you have a criminal record and speaking totally from a layperson's standpoint that could have diminshed your chances of acceptance in this cycle. Why this cycle? Because every friggin person is applying to law school this year, and I would imagine their selection process to be pretty fierce. Why offer you admission when they can easily choose someone else with similar numbers and no crim. record? You see?

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:27 pm

cvnrssm wrote:I have a meeting with the Assistant Director of Law Admissions at UGA this week. I'm from the state of Georgia and i went to uga for undergrad...164/177 and a 3.49 and URM...they offered me 5K a year when i was first accepted but now I'm trying to get more money out of them if possible...I'm wondering how i should go about this when i meet with this lady on wednesday, thanks.
What kind of URM are you?

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:27 pm

Either you have some felonies on your record or you = flame.

Anybody smart enough to get a 177 should be smart enough to know they shouldn't be worrying with UGA

iYale

New

Post by iYale » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:28 pm

fathergoose wrote:Either you have some felonies on your record or you = flame.

Anybody smart enough to get a 177 should be smart enough to know they shouldn't be worrying with UGA
he has a record..

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ccs224

Bronze

Post by ccs224 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:28 pm

"Yes, sir, may I have another?"

DukeHopeful

Bronze

Post by DukeHopeful » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:36 pm

iYale wrote:

he has a record..
A public intoxication/disorderly conduct is probably not a felony charge, I can't imagine that it would be serious to keep someone with these stats out of the T20. And I sure as hell hope it's not, considering I have a minor mistake or two on my own record.

I'm more interested in the above question about what kind of URM. That could resolve things a bit more clearly.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:42 pm

DukeHopeful wrote:
iYale wrote:

he has a record..
A public intoxication/disorderly conduct is probably not a felony charge, I can't imagine that it would be serious to keep someone with these stats out of the T20. And I sure as hell hope it's not, considering I have a minor mistake or two on my own record.

I'm more interested in the above question about what kind of URM. That could resolve things a bit more clearly.

I suspect he's not a URM at all. Many people think they are URMs when in fact they are not.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:45 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
I suspect he's not a URM at all. Many people think they are URMs when in fact they are not.
What? Italian-Americans aren't URMs in NY schools???

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cvnrssm

New

Post by cvnrssm » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:47 pm

i was always told hispanics were URMs

cvnrssm

New

Post by cvnrssm » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:47 pm

and no i dont have any felonies

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:48 pm

cvnrssm wrote:i was always told hispanics were URMs
Only Mexicans and Puerto Ricans apparently, being Cuban, South American, or something else doesn't count.

cvnrssm

New

Post by cvnrssm » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:50 pm

really? colombian doesn't count for anything?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”