Send LSAT Addendum for Same Score? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Send LSAT Addendum for Same Score?

Post by twintipping_bumps » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:11 pm

So going into February, I had a 159 and a 166. I didn't provide an addendum on my applications, figuring the scores speak for themselves: I did better my second time. Yet, I understand that some schools, even if they are primarily numbers driven, might have been concerned taking a 166 given the previous score was significantly lower.

So I am thinking of writing something along the lines of:

Dear _________________________,

I am writing to let you know that I have just received my February score. Since my application has been complete, I would like to update you with my new score. I scored a 166 on the February LSAT. Although I do believe I am able to score even a bit higher, I hope this repeat performance of a 166 will mitigate any concern my first score may have caused.

Thank you for your time,

Any thoughts? Also, would sending the update push my file to the bottom of the pile and do more harm than good? I mean, I am thinking what I am saying is pretty obvious, so I don't want it to have a negative effect through another channel, that is - timing of review. But at the same time, I don't want to forgo the simple update and perhaps lose out on demonstrating I care about my application and communicating with the school.

Thanks.

Addicted to LSAT

New

Re: Send LSAT Addendum for Same Score?

Post by Addicted to LSAT » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:43 pm

There's no harm in updating them but don't bother saying "I do believe I am able to score even a bit higher"
Just state that on your first writing you did not do your best because of x...
And that this score of 166 better reflects your abilities.

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:53 pm

twintipping_bumps wrote:So going into February, I had a 159 and a 166. I didn't provide an addendum on my applications, figuring the scores speak for themselves: I did better my second time. Yet, I understand that some schools, even if they are primarily numbers driven, might have been concerned taking a 166 given the previous score was significantly lower.

So I am thinking of writing something along the lines of:

Dear _________________________,

I am writing to let you know that I have just received my February score. Since my application has been complete, I would like to update you with my new score. I scored a 166 on the February LSAT. Although I do believe I am able to score even a bit higher, I hope this repeat performance of a 166 will mitigate any concern my first score may have caused.

Thank you for your time,

Any thoughts? Also, would sending the update push my file to the bottom of the pile and do more harm than good? I mean, I am thinking what I am saying is pretty obvious, so I don't want it to have a negative effect through another channel, that is - timing of review. But at the same time, I don't want to forgo the simple update and perhaps lose out on demonstrating I care about my application and communicating with the school.

Thanks.
Don't say this.

Derrex

New

Post by Derrex » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:57 pm

Yeah, you already had 3 shots at it. I think if I were to read it, I'd just roll my eyes.

twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Post by twintipping_bumps » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:06 pm

Ok, I guess that's reasonable. I'm glad I didn't send it. I think I am just going to wait and see what happens. If I get alot of WLs, maybe I'll see if I can get one of the schools to let me take it a 4th time. I actually do enjoy the LSAT, in a way.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hv1

Bronze

Post by hv1 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:08 pm

No addendum is really necessary for most cases. Let the score speak for itself and try not to highlight negative aspects of your application.

twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Post by twintipping_bumps » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:09 pm

I am now thinking of writing this:

Dear ___________________________,

I am writing to update my file with my February LSAT score, which I received this past weekend. Like in September, I scored a 166 on the February LSAT. I took the test a third time in an effort to increase my chances of being accepted to your law school, and it is my hope that my ability to score a 166 again will demonstrate that I have the ability to consistently score at a fairly high level.

Thank you for your time,

Do you guys think this would be good. I think today would be the last day to send the update, as I can see documents were already sent by LSAC on my account.

Thanks.

twopoodles

Bronze

Post by twopoodles » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:58 pm

Seriously, don't.

GoldenBear125

New

Post by GoldenBear125 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:32 am

Does LSAC send out your scores for Feb, or do you have to manually do something to make sure the schools get it?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

devilishangelrjp

Bronze

Post by devilishangelrjp » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:39 am

GoldenBear125 wrote:Does LSAC send out your scores for Feb, or do you have to manually do something to make sure the schools get it?
They send it out.

GoldenBear125

New

Post by GoldenBear125 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:24 am

devilishangelrjp wrote:
GoldenBear125 wrote:Does LSAC send out your scores for Feb, or do you have to manually do something to make sure the schools get it?
They send it out.
Crap, what if the apps have gone complete. Will law schools know what to do, or do you think i should follow up with an email (even if they say don't contact us lol).

twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Post by twintipping_bumps » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:16 pm

I ended up sending what I wrote to two of like ten schools yesterday, but I also packaged it with an update on a film I recently worked on as a producer and its airing schedule on cable throughout Europe. Hopefully it will either help or do nothing but not hurt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”