Law school admissions Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jewuh

New

Law school admissions

Post by Jewuh » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:09 pm

I migrated to the United States in April last year, i took the LSAT in September and scored 142. I graduated with a law degree (LLB) from East Africa and a Diploma in Legal Practice. I have a work experience of at least 2 years in the legal field. I don't really want to retake the LSAT. What are my chances of getting into law school?

SandyC877

Bronze

Re: Law school admissions

Post by SandyC877 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:11 pm

Jewuh wrote:I migrated to the United States in April last year, i took the LSAT in September and scored 142. I graduated with a law degree (LLB) from East Africa and a Diploma in Legal Practice. I have a work experience of at least 2 years in the legal field. I don't really want to retake the LSAT. What are my chances of getting into law school?
Your chances are 90% or better that you will get into a law school. I can't guarantee it will be anything above TTTT.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:13 pm

Retake.

If you're willing to go through 3 years of law school, you should be willing to retake a test.
Study and retake.
Are you a URM? If so, if you can get your score into the 150s, considering your prior experience, you could probably get into a decent school.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:15 pm

Not sure what your gpa would work out to be with an international degree, but check out this site - http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/?page_id=11

There are some schools that might still accept a 142 depending on how your gpa works out. Really should retake though.

Lomax

Bronze

Post by Lomax » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:17 pm

Not to rip on you, OP, but this seems to be an indictment on whichever institution you got your LLB from, unless your LSAT score is the result of poor English language skills or some other extenuating circumstance. No ABA-accredited law school will be likely to accept you with your current LSAT score, barring a miracle (from your perspective). You must take retake the LSAT, and do much better on it than that.
SandyC877 wrote:Your chances are 90% or better that you will get into a law school. I can't guarantee it will be anything above TTTT.
How do you figure that? The guy sits well below the 25th percentile for underperforming TTTTs. Terrible post.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RickyRoe

Bronze

Post by RickyRoe » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:35 pm

Even Cooley has a median of 146. It all depends on your GPA, but barring a great GPA the best you could hope for is part-time at a TTT.

Your best option might be working in the legal field in some other capacity. Paralegals at some firms make very good money, up to 6 figures and they dont have the debt that lawyers are burdened with.

lawschooliseasy

Bronze

Post by lawschooliseasy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:45 pm

Cooley!!

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:54 pm

Not sure you'd even have a chance at Cooley with a 142....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”