Chances at HYS Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tikiman6

Bronze

Chances at HYS

Post by tikiman6 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:14 am

I'm a bit of a splitter, I estimate a 3.81 GPA, and I just got a 176 on the LSAT. Pretty average soft spots, with speaking Chinese, and studying there for 3 months being one of my better selling points. Also, I'm not sure how it will affect things, but my GPA has gotten a lot better in the later years. ( 3.51 Freshman year, and a 3.93 between sophomore and junior years).

What chances do I have at HYS?

BioEBear2010

Silver

Re: Chances at HYS

Post by BioEBear2010 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:17 am

What about your stats makes you a splitter...?

Anyway, you have a decent chance at all 3. I'd say a better shot at Harvard than Yale or Stanford. H is more #s based, and your high LSAT is a huge plus for them. Yale and Stanford are more unpredictable.

invisiblesun

Bronze

Post by invisiblesun » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:19 am

tikiman6 wrote:I'm a bit of a splitter, I estimate a 3.81 GPA, and I just got a 176 on the LSAT. Pretty average soft spots, with speaking Chinese, and studying there for 3 months being one of my better selling points. Also, I'm not sure how it will affect things, but my GPA has gotten a lot better in the later years. ( 3.51 Freshman year, and a 3.93 between sophomore and junior years).

H - Most likely unless your undergrad was shit.
S and Y- Slightly better than 50/50, with chances increasing if you have great softs or a prestigious undergrad with a clearly difficult curriculum.

Zara

Bronze

Post by Zara » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:38 am

invisiblesun wrote:
tikiman6 wrote:I'm a bit of a splitter, I estimate a 3.81 GPA, and I just got a 176 on the LSAT. Pretty average soft spots, with speaking Chinese, and studying there for 3 months being one of my better selling points. Also, I'm not sure how it will affect things, but my GPA has gotten a lot better in the later years. ( 3.51 Freshman year, and a 3.93 between sophomore and junior years).

S and Y- Slightly better than 50/50, with chances increasing if you have great softs or a prestigious undergrad with a clearly difficult curriculum.
Don't know how true your statement about Harvard is. I went to a pretty shitty undergrad and I got in. I don't have anything really exceptional on my application to make up for it either.

invisiblesun

Bronze

Post by invisiblesun » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:18 pm

Zara wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:

Don't know how true your statement about Harvard is. I went to a pretty shitty undergrad and I got in. I don't have anything really exceptional on my application to make up for it either.
Was your GPA better than his? And I'm not saying that he wouldn't get in, I'm just saying its not as much of a lock as if he had those numbers from a top 50 UG.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tikiman6

Bronze

Post by tikiman6 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:10 pm

I'm going to UW-Madison, which is like 35th-ish? But I'm a bit of a splitter because my LSAT is above the median at every school, GPA around 25th at HYS. I'd think my chances would be roughly similar at SLS and YLS, since SLS likes the GPA more, which is the weaker of my two. On the other hand, my GPA is not grade-inflated like most Ivy Leaguers.

tikiman6

Bronze

Post by tikiman6 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:29 am

Hehe. You fact checked me. Should have figured...

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:32 am

3.2 is alright, definitely not grade inflation

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:33 am

invisiblesun wrote:
Zara wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:

Was your GPA better than his? And I'm not saying that he wouldn't get in, I'm just saying its not as much of a lock as if he had those numbers from a top 50 UG.
eh, id say good chance in at H
S is more 50/50...if your PS and LORs are good, or have some nice softs, all the better
Y i say out, just from the general ambivalent tone you have toward your softs and the fact that you're still in UG

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tikiman6

Bronze

Post by tikiman6 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:31 am

eh, id say good chance in at H
S is more 50/50...if your PS and LORs are good, or have some nice softs, all the better
Y i say out, just from the general ambivalent tone you have toward your softs and the fact that you're still in UG
Well, I do have the ability to speak Chinese. I think this will be eventually more useful finding a job than a school, but I think this is a skill being desired more and more. Furthermore, I asked the fine folks at Yale, and they said they did not give preference to those who do not come straight out of UG.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:51 am

tikiman6 wrote: Well, I do have the ability to speak Chinese. I think this will be eventually more useful finding a job than a school, but I think this is a skill being desired more and more. Furthermore, I asked the fine folks at Yale, and they said they did not give preference to those who do not come straight out of UG.

How good is your Chinese? Read and write as well? Good enough to do business abroad? And is that your interest? Otherwise I don't think it will matter much more than someone who is pretty decent at French or Italian or Russian.

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:51 pm

people being too optimistic about H imo

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:59 pm

We have similar stats, feel free to take a gander at my LSN (I speak Chinese and studied abroad as well, but I don't think it was a deciding factor). I think my UG might've given me a teensy boost (it's one of the snobby ones and there are lots of 175/3.8ish HLS rejects) but who knows. In at H, out at Y, and probably heading for the WL at S.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Just got held at H with a 176 and 3.87, below average softs. Keep in mind 50% of the applicant pool has "below average softs", try to not to overestimate how you will stack up against the other people applying to a school like Harvard.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:19 pm

If I don't get rejected/held by Harvard then I think we can positively prove that they do care about softs over numbers. I am not really hopeful though :|

About the Chinese: I don't know how many white applicants speaks Chinese but lets not forget that maybe 20% of all students at top school are Asian and probably were born speaking Chinese. I don't know if being bilingual in Chinese is going to be considered a top soft considering most of non-Chinese will never speak as well as the native Chinese. There are already too many of us :?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:If I don't get rejected/held by Harvard then I think we can positively prove that they do care about softs over numbers. I am not really hopeful though :|

About the Chinese: I don't know how many white applicants speaks Chinese but lets not forget that maybe 20% of all students at top school are Asian and probably were born speaking Chinese. I don't know if being bilingual in Chinese is going to be considered a top soft considering most of non-Chinese will never speak as well as the native Chinese. There are already too many of us :?
bolded: haha what a roundabout way of saying 'accepted' :P

well at ivy schools like HLS, it's actually only around 10% Asians

and how many of those 10% can even speak Chinese fluently...hmm...imo, being able to speak Mandarin Chinese, for example, will be a great soft for firms to see (iunno about law school admissions)

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:45 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
bolded: haha what a roundabout way of saying 'accepted' :P

well at ivy schools like HLS, it's actually only around 10% Asians

and how many of those 10% can even speak Chinese fluently...hmm...imo, being able to speak Mandarin Chinese, for example, will be a great soft for firms to see (iunno about law school admissions)
Well I don't want to get my hopes up!

I stand corrected on the percentages. Maybe my chance is a faction higher than I thought??? :lol: Off topics but why are there many more Asian women than men?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:49 pm

to answer an earlier post, the op is technically a splitter w/r/t h given that his or her gpa falls below the median. of course, in absolute terms, a 3.81 qualifies one for summa at most schools and is pretty damn impressive.

but yeah, much more than i think many on tls suggest, it seems that quality of ugrad is a somewhat important factor for getting into hys.

in any case, good luck op

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:51 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote: but yeah, much more than i think many on tls suggest, it seems that quality of ugrad is a somewhat important factor for getting into hys. just looking through the roster for h's march asw, it looks like some outrageously large percentage of kids went to elite schools.
While not surprising, this does seem to be the case for most of the top law schools. ~ 1/3 of the students in the Yale FB group are HYPS undergrads.

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:07 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
APimpNamedSlickback wrote: but yeah, much more than i think many on tls suggest, it seems that quality of ugrad is a somewhat important factor for getting into hys. just looking through the roster for h's march asw, it looks like some outrageously large percentage of kids went to elite schools.
While not surprising, this does seem to be the case for most of the top law schools. ~ 1/3 of the students in the Yale FB group are HYPS undergrads.
Unsurprising. Top law schools recruit top undergrad students that typically self select into top undergraduate colleges.
Last edited by sayan on Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:15 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
Yeah, and when you include schools like MIT, the other Ivies, and elite LACs, it's somewhere around 90%.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:30 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:
Yeah, and when you include schools like MIT, the other Ivies, and elite LACs, it's somewhere around 90%.
And then there's the misfit from Alabama...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”