NYU v. Michigan Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Helmholtz

Gold

Re: NYU v. Michigan

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:40 pm

Prediction for next year's NYU biglaw placement: 35%

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:41 pm

Let's cut with the bullshit. From what I know and what I've read there are two basic truths.

1) NYU is the shit.
2) OP should go to U of M.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:43 pm

I feel like I should apologize, on behalf of this thread, to the OP (who had a valid question about choosing between two schools based on his personal preferences and circumstances).

Take it outside, guys. Or just take it back here:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=108528

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:44 pm

badfish wrote:Let's cut with the bullshit. From what I know and what I've read there are two basic truths.

1) NYU is the shit.
2) OP should go to U of M.
Badfish saves the thread with a classy post!

+1

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:49 pm

rayiner wrote:
scribelaw wrote:If you look at the long-term data, it's actually Michigan that has been in decline, from a top three school 10 or 15 years ago to clinging for dear life in the T10.
By 10 or 15 years, you mean 23? http://www.prelawhandbook.com/law_schoo ... _1987_1999
Yes.

I'm not trying to bash UM -- I applied there and would consider going, with $$.

But the point is, you can take one shred of data and make broad unsupported claims, like people have been doing with increasing ferocity when it comes to NYU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:50 pm

oneforship wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
oneforship wrote:
scribelaw wrote:If you look at the long-term data, it's actually Michigan that has been in decline, from a top three school 10 or 15 years ago to clinging for dear life in the T10.

The anti-NYU trolls here in the last few days are getting to be a bit much. CLS saw the exact same drop in Biglaw placement from the 2009 figures, and yet no one is trolling them.
OP didn't ask about CLS.
But the response was an inaccurate assessment that NYU is somehow on a downward trend. There's one data point that someone could use to support that -- 2009 Biglaw placement. By that rationale, you'd have to say it's "indisputable" that Chicago and CLS are in decline, too, because their numbers went down by just as much.
In all fairness to NYU, it's tough to be in decline when you already weren't great to begin with.
? so only HYSCC are great to begin with. This is silly, and it sounds like some trolling, even with your 3000+ posts.

Just to add to these highly valued NLJ + clerkship stats, it's important to note that they don't take into account PI/Govt. jobs, which are highly sought after here at NYU in particular. I have a number of friends with excellent grades that are not pursuing firm/clerkships but instead want to do DOJ/PI stuff. The stats also speak to this, as NYU has a substantially higher percentage of the class going into these fields than most of the other T14 schools.

Either way, I would just advise people not to take the NLJ data too seriously. Once you get to law school, these debates become very silly. You know you're at a great school, you do your best, and you don't focus on the tiny differences in percentages. And FWIW, anytime you see Northwestern at the top (whether it's just for firms or whatever) you should be aware that the data is going to be an outlier. Great school, no way in hell it's the best. This anti-NYU trolling is intense, but in the end most of the kids that bash on it couldn't get in here in the first place.
Last edited by dbt on Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:53 pm

If Emmy still posted she would have the best insight into this decision. She has told me that it seems harder to get an A at NYU than it is to get an A at Michigan, if that means anything to you.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:01 pm

badfish wrote:If Emmy still posted she would have the best insight into this decision. She has told me that it seems harder to get an A at NYU than it is to get an A at Michigan, if that means anything to you.
Maybe he's just drunker in NY than AA

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”