----- Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Helmholtz

Gold

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:10 am

TTTennis wrote:
calicocat wrote:
haha suck up :P
I'm not sucking up, I'm hitting on you :D :D haha
piss off, new guy

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:10 am

r6_philly wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
Oh mother of god...it was poorly phrased and I'm workin on a brief at 3 AM ass hat. Throw me a frickin bone.

The point was that rich always gets thrown in with white as if they are the same thing, in a similar manner to the times when poor gets thrown in with black.
That's your prejudice, not mine. So please keep it to yourself. I write what I mean, and I mean what I write. Please take the time to read it before responding, it is only the civil thing to do.

If you ever wonder why your numbers are not getting you into the top schools ... well I sort of have an idea.

"ass hat" and "frickin bone"? Damn what are you 15? I think you shall be depressed when you figure out what live is like.

If you are working on a brief then stop getting on the forum. You might end up typing "ass hat" on the brief.

Don't you love people who get angry when they are wrong :roll:
No, but I love people who fight like 12 year olds on law school forums :D

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:11 am

TTTennis wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote: Oh mother of god...it was poorly phrased and I'm workin on a brief at 3 AM ass hat. Throw me a frickin bone.

The point was that rich always gets thrown in with white as if they are the same thing, in a similar manner to the times when poor gets thrown in with black.
Why is there an argument going on that isn't against the OP? If the OP is retarded enough to think that she should be able to get into a good law school because she is a transgender and not able to put up with ridicule in high school, then this thread should be OP bashing. Instead, we have tweedle-dee and tweedle-dum arguing about white people and money.
TITCR. Sorry I'm one of the tweedles. I'll stop now.

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:12 am

Helmholtz wrote:
TTTennis wrote:
calicocat wrote:
piss off, new guy
Damnit, why do I have to be the new guy?! (Don't answer that). You wanna have a cyber fight over CC Helm? Bring it on tough guy. haha JK!!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:12 am

icydash wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
icydash wrote: I didn't mean they were under pressure to do well. I meant that (like i state in the paragraph above), just because you're upper class and white doesn't mean you can't be afflicted with serious illnesses, be out-casted because of your sexual preference/etc...
But the problem for the truly disadvantaged is that there is no safety net. So if you are a rich kid (I don't know if you are, so please excuse me), you get sick, or you get bullied, or you are just not meshing well in college, you can quit, and probably find another path through life with many opportunities. if you were not rich, and not white, you may not have those options. That is the essense of being privileged or not in my mind. Now what you have now, but what you will have after you fail. If you are like me, and you fail, you will land on the streets like me. At any moment, even now, I could lose everything and end up with nothing and no recourse. And no one will *be able to* help me.
Just because your parents have money doesn't change the fact that a college degree is a college degree. Either you have it, did well, and can get a job.... or you failed out/quit, don't have it, and will work at McDonalds for the rest of your life (IE will have to take jobs that hire people with only high school level education). Just because you're white and upper class doesn't mean you can just quit your education and your parents are like "that's cool" and you can find another path through life. Your level of income, ability to progress and build a career are severely limited, white or not.

As a side question, though, in the OPs picture....she's white....so uhh maybe we should just limit our discussion to what is pertinent to her???
I think more parents will bail out their kids than not. I am a parent, I understand that point. My point was that my parent couldn't help me even though they wanted to.

Would it be more surprising that when I was younger, many people would hire a white person with a HS diploma than a non-white person with a bachelor degree?

I have nothing for OP because she sounds like she feels she is entitled to something just because of her life choice. There are a lot more people, you and I included, who did not chose to be in a situation to be facing difficulties. We do not feel entitled. Neither should she.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:13 am

TTTennis wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
TTTennis wrote:
calicocat wrote:
piss off, new guy
Damnit, why do I have to be the new guy?! (Don't answer that). You wanna have a cyber fight over CC Helm? Bring it on tough guy. haha JK!!
Helm wins, love him. Sry.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:14 am

TTTennis wrote: No, but I love people who fight like 12 year olds on law school forums :D
See I am afraid to have classmates like this. But hopefully admissions officers will do their jobs.

But then maybe they wouldn't be like this in person. I would be exactly the same though.

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:16 am

calicocat wrote: Helm wins, love him. Sry.
ahhhhhh, I know, I know. I don't feel that bad, because I hear Helm is quite a dashing fellow haha. Wasn't he rated an A+? And, if I remember correctly, I was at a solid B. I can't compete with that.

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:17 am

r6_philly wrote: I have nothing for OP because she sounds like she feels she is entitled to something just because of her life choice. There are a lot more people, you and I included, who did not chose to be in a situation to be facing difficulties. We do not feel entitled. Neither should she.
Amen brotha.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:17 am

r6_philly wrote:
TTTennis wrote: No, but I love people who fight like 12 year olds on law school forums :D
See I am afraid to have classmates like this. But hopefully admissions officers will do their jobs.

But then maybe they wouldn't be like this in person. I would be exactly the same though.
I hear law school is 100 times worse than high school. You are guaranteed to have people like that. :?

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:19 am

OP=
--ImageRemoved--

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:19 am

r6_philly wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
Oh mother of god...it was poorly phrased and I'm workin on a brief at 3 AM ass hat. Throw me a frickin bone.

That's your prejudice, not mine. So please keep it to yourself. I write what I mean, and I mean what I write. Please take the time to read it before responding, it is only the civil thing to do.

If you ever wonder why your numbers are not getting you into the top schools ... well I sort of have an idea.

"ass hat" and "frickin bone"? Damn what are you 15? I think you shall be depressed when you figure out what live is like.

If you are working on a brief then stop getting on the forum. You might end up typing "ass hat" on the brief.

Don't you love people who get angry when they are wrong :roll:
Welp, to continue my 12 year-old style battle....

1. What prejudice? What I said is a fact - white and rich are not the same thing nor are they equal as they often are implied to be. And why would I keep it to myself on a message board? The whole point of these is to bullshit when you should be doing something else.
2. Your "not white and not rich" statement did ballpark the two statuses as equal in their effect.
3. I'm already in law school (and doing damn well). Why else would I be working on a brief?
4. Do you really care about language on a message board? It's a message board. C'mon man.
5. "live is like"
6. You're a douche bag.
7. Cheers.

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:20 am

calicocat wrote:OP=
--ImageRemoved--
Well played.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

qualster

Bronze

Post by qualster » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:21 am

OK, and another thing. I understand that OP has a unique background, etc, but what is so "unique and strong" about her reason for wanting to attend law school?

dovetail

New

Post by dovetail » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:22 am

r6_philly wrote:

You do realize that you're included the fighting-twelve-year-old group, don't you?

Maybe you should consider *not* being exactly the same in person.
Last edited by dovetail on Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:23 am

qualster wrote:OK, and another thing. I understand that OP has a unique background, etc, but what is so "unique and strong" about her reason for wanting to attend law school?
Wants to be some sort of litigator? She defended Stetson in another thread and I think mentioned it in her manifesto.

qualster

Bronze

Post by qualster » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:23 am

dovetail wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

You do realize that you're included the fighting-twelve-year-old group, don't you?

Maybe you should consider *not* being exactly the same person.
TTTennis has an avatar pic that reminds me of Robert Van Winkle. That's awesome.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:25 am

dovetail wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Maybe you should consider *not* being exactly the same person.
I am exactly the same person. I can't consider, or become, or pretend, or change to a different person. I wasn't fighting, I was having an intellectual debate of importance to me. If that's how 12 yo's fight then I am guilty as sin.

if 12 year old start fighting with a 33 year old, that doesn't make the 33 year old a 12 year old. You do realize that don't you?

FloridaGirl

Silver

Post by FloridaGirl » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:27 am

Also

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:28 am

r6_philly wrote: I am exactly the same person. I can't consider, or become, or pretend, or change to a different person. I wasn't fighting, I was having an intellectual debate of importance to me. If that's how 12 yo's fight then I am guilty as sin.

if 12 year old start fighting with a 33 year old, that doesn't make the 33 year old a 12 year old. You do realize that don't you?
Does it make the 12 year old a 33 year old? That is the question.

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:30 am

rad law wrote:
qualster wrote:OK, and another thing. I understand that OP has a unique background, etc, but what is so "unique and strong" about her reason for wanting to attend law school?
Wants to be some sort of litigator? She defended Stetson in another thread and I think mentioned it in her manifesto.
How is wanting to be a litigator a unique reason to want to go to law school?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:30 am

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:31 am

TTTennis wrote:
r6_philly wrote: I am exactly the same person. I can't consider, or become, or pretend, or change to a different person. I wasn't fighting, I was having an intellectual debate of importance to me. If that's how 12 yo's fight then I am guilty as sin.

Does it make the 12 year old a 33 year old? That is the question.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one sees or hears it.........

...ah nevermind.

But there most definitely was nothing intellectual or anything resembling a debate going on there.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:32 am

prezidentv8 wrote: Welp, to continue my 12 year-old style battle....

1. What prejudice? What I said is a fact - white and rich are not the same thing nor are they equal as they often are implied to be. And why would I keep it to myself on a message board? The whole point of these is to bullshit when you should be doing something else.

It is your prejudice because I did not state it, you assumed it without reading, that shows that you believe it. You believe in the same prejudicial view that you claim to dislike.

2. Your "not white and not rich" statement did ballpark the two statuses as equal in their effect.
Fail. not white and not reach => if you are minority and poor, you are not likely to not have options. In the previous sentence, I stated that if a "rich kid" absent of the the white qualifier.

3. I'm already in law school (and doing damn well). Why else would I be working on a brief?
If you are doing well in school, you should be able to tell the critical difference between the statement I made and the one you assumed that I made.

4. Do you really care about language on a message board? It's a message board. C'mon man.
I have been running message boards before you were born perhaps. Yes I care.

5. "live is like"
don't get this

6. You're a douche bag.
Douche bag is a female product. If I can keep my lady clean and fresh, I'd gladly be it

7. Cheers.
It would really be easier if you just admit that you misread, then we would have no quarrels. You don't insult me.

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:33 am

actuallybasically wrote:Maybe I am just being a bit Pollyanna about all of this, but, it seems to me if I have a unique story and very strong case made in my personal statement, along with an undergraduate education specifically geared towards government, law, and policymaking, I have a really decent shot of getting into law school.
Another point I need to make, trying not to be a dick (but I may or may not have blown that already), is that admissions committees couldn't care less about your undergraduate majors/minors/classes. All they care about is GPA. The fact that it was in a legal/government course of study will have 0 effect on the decision making processes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”