dropped classes, GPA Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dajja15

New

dropped classes, GPA

Post by dajja15 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:15 am

I have taken a few classes at a community college over the past couple summers. Two classes I took, I didnt show up, I thought they would be dropped automatically but werent. My grandma died and I had to go over to Arizona. I got these classes dropped from the community college and my fees removed by proving proof of death, etc. However, I have read on a bunch of forums that withdrawing from classes counts as an F. Will these count? I never went to classes, so I am not sure if I it counts as withdrawing. Thanks.

Unitas

Silver

Re: dropped classes, GPA

Post by Unitas » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:19 am

dajja15 wrote:I have taken a few classes at a community college over the past couple summers. Two classes I took, I didnt show up, I thought they would be dropped automatically but werent. My grandma died and I had to go over to Arizona. I got these classes dropped from the community college and my fees removed by proving proof of death, etc. However, I have read on a bunch of forums that withdrawing from classes counts as an F. Will these count? I never went to classes, so I am not sure if I it counts as withdrawing. Thanks.
If they are WF they count, if W they usually do not.

dajja15

New

Post by dajja15 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:30 am

sorry..whats the difference between WF and W? For my grade its just an "*", trying to find the grading ruberic on the CC website. When I had them send my grades to my 4 year institution they did not count, but I suppose this probably does not matter.

Clever_User_Name

New

Post by Clever_User_Name » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:44 am

dajja15 wrote:sorry..whats the difference between WF and W? For my grade its just an "*", trying to find the grading ruberic on the CC website. When I had them send my grades to my 4 year institution they did not count, but I suppose this probably does not matter.
Most schools have a special one that they use in this kind of situation. Something like "missing" or "failure to show." At any rate, the school itself should be able to tell you much better than anyone on here what you walked away with. If it is just a W, then no big deal. I don't know what a WF is.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:46 am

WF is a failing withdrawal, where they show that you withdrew in a manner that the school considers warrants a failing grade. If you receive a WF it's like receiving an actual F, and affects your GPA as such.

A W is a non-failing withdrawal and does not affect your GPA.

It's important to find out how your school treats the withdrawals, and more importantly, how it reports them to LSAC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”