Good Questions to ask when visiting. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mlewis87

New

Good Questions to ask when visiting.

Post by mlewis87 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:57 pm

I need some ides of "I'm talking to the dean of admissions" questions? Going on Monday to place a face with my application and hopefully help get into the school.

BigFatPanda

Bronze

Re: Good Questions to ask when visiting.

Post by BigFatPanda » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:01 am

mlewis87 wrote:I need some ides of "I'm talking to the dean of admissions" questions? Going on Monday to place a face with my application and hopefully help get into the school.
If you are asking us for questions to ask Deans of Admission, then you are not really interested in that law school you're going to visit. Do your own research on the school and come up with your own questions.

mlewis87

New

Post by mlewis87 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:06 am

BigFatPanda wrote:
mlewis87 wrote:I need some ides of "I'm talking to the dean of admissions" questions? Going on Monday to place a face with my application and hopefully help get into the school.
If you are asking us for questions to ask Deans of Admission, then you are not really interested in that law school you're going to visit. Do your own research on the school and come up with your own questions.
I was asking for ideas, not for anyone else to do research for me and provide specific questions. If you're not going to help then go post somewhere else :D

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:12 am

Why'd you go to Yale instead of the school you're in charge of?
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JetstoRJC

Bronze

Post by JetstoRJC » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:20 am

BigFatPanda wrote:
Stupid...

Good question by OP

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:20 am

Borhas wrote:Why'd you go to Yale instead of the school you're in charge of?
+1

hsprophet

Bronze

Post by hsprophet » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:20 am

When I ask questions, they are things that I personally want to know - not necessarily what anyone else is really interested in. There are no magic questions that will impress the dean. It's a very good idea to study the school's web site and brochures in depth before you go, and I'm sure that will lead to some things you want to ask. You want to show that you've done research on the school.

Feel free to ask all sorts of things, from "is the library open 24 hours" to "what does your clinic specialize in." Questions show interest.

Dingo McPhee

New

Post by Dingo McPhee » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:27 pm

How many classes can I miss before it affects my grade?
What can I take pass/fail?
Do I have to take anything at 8:00 am?
What is the official policy regarding alcohol on campus? In class?

mlewis87

New

Post by mlewis87 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:50 pm

Wow, I must of sprayed this question with a douche bag scent.....It worked :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:54 pm

if it helps, some attempts at answers, mine included, related to your op can be found here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=104451

good luck.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:00 pm

Ask about the curriculum, clinics, professors teaching in areas in which you're interested, LRAP, law review, other journals, law review/journal application process, the curve, OCI logistics, OCI participation, career services, guest speakers, credits needed to graduate, externships, lockers, networking events, Lexis/West access, library hours, the library collection in general, class duration, research assitantships, clerkship placement, judicial internship placement, laptop policy, IT services, etc.

itsfine

Bronze

Post by itsfine » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:11 pm

yeah OP, i see no prob with the question but youre really getting the cream of the crop to reply....

anyway,

i would ask about anything that will impact you. do you love to eat? well then what kind of food is around? are you interested in intellectual property? well then ask about the programs they have for it. Are you on a budget? ask how much typical students spend when they go out and for rent. I normally find that the major aspects of a school are easy to find out, its the little things that are really worth asking because together they are going to make up a major aspect of your experience.

bees

Bronze

Post by bees » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:12 pm

Dingo McPhee wrote:How many classes can I miss before it affects my grade?
What can I take pass/fail?
Do I have to take anything at 8:00 am?
What is the official policy regarding alcohol on campus? In class?
All of these.

T14_Scholly

Bronze

Post by T14_Scholly » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:18 pm

sanpiero wrote:Ask about the curriculum, clinics, professors teaching in areas in which you're interested, LRAP, law review, other journals, law review/journal application process, the curve, OCI logistics, OCI participation, career services, guest speakers, credits needed to graduate, externships, lockers, networking events, Lexis/West access, library hours, the library collection in general, class duration, research assitantships, clerkship placement, judicial internship placement, laptop policy, IT services, etc.
Just write this list out on your hand, you'll be good.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”