Does having an acting career help you get into law school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Does having an acting career help you get into law school?

Yes
17%
No
83%

Total votes: 81

Ragged

Silver

Re: Does having an acting career help you get into law school?

Post by Ragged » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:12 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Ragged wrote:Probably a flame, but if not then I think its a pretty unique soft that will be a plus, regardless of whether you won any awards. (If he won an Emmy he would not be trying to go to law school, but instead would continue pursuing an acting career) But then again I agree with Panda - like any soft, its going to help only if you are a borderline candidate.
I think there's a multiple Emmy winner attending Yale Law right now.
Cool. There are always exceptions I suppose. Still if an actor is good enough to win an Emmy/Oscar in 99% he/she is going to stick to acting.

What I meant was that adcomms are not going to dismiss his acting career altogether just because he's never won anything for it. After all there are plenty of great actors out there who have never won any such award.

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:13 pm

worked for this guy

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:13 pm

Union?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:15 pm

GATORTIM wrote:worked for this guy

If by "worked" you mean got him a seat at Southwestern Law School, then yeah, I guess.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:18 pm

agentdedalus wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
andyman wrote:
iamtaw wrote:Have you played either someone in law school or a law school graduate?
No, but I was in Law & Order SVU :mrgreen:
From what you've stated, you don't seem to be anything other than a glorified set piece that steals M&M's off the carafe services table.
Carafe service sounds excellent. well, depending on the vintage. but it's "craft" services unless you're filming a hip-hop video club scene.
Nit picker!! :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:20 pm

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:24 pm

As for your question; As a full time career... perhaps, depending on the resume. Making a living as an actor, year after year, is no small feat. In your case, no.

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:39 pm

Ragged wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Ragged wrote:Probably a flame, but if not then I think its a pretty unique soft that will be a plus, regardless of whether you won any awards. (If he won an Emmy he would not be trying to go to law school, but instead would continue pursuing an acting career) But then again I agree with Panda - like any soft, its going to help only if you are a borderline candidate.
I think there's a multiple Emmy winner attending Yale Law right now.
Cool. There are always exceptions I suppose. Still if an actor is good enough to win an Emmy/Oscar in 99% he/she is going to stick to acting.

What I meant was that adcomms are not going to dismiss his acting career altogether just because he's never won anything for it. After all there are plenty of great actors out there who have never won any such award.
Just to be clear, the Emmy award winner currently at YLS was a *producer,* not an actor.

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:51 pm

Unemployed wrote:Union?

1 waiver away from being SAG eligible - not too shabby for only 8 months

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:53 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:In your case, no.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:58 pm

andyman wrote:

If you want to go to law school, why are you even going down this road? OK, so you get another extra gig and somehow you squeeze out your final waiver. In order to join, you plop down $2300 and then are obligated to pay semi-annual dues. Are you going to audition while you're in LS? How? You miss enough classes during 1st semester trying you'll really find yourself in a world of hurt.

If you want to act, go try and be an actor. If you want to become a lawyer, it's time to buckle down and start saving some $$.

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:00 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
andyman wrote:

If you want to go to law school, why are you even going down this road? OK, so you get another extra gig and somehow you squeeze out your final waiver. In order to join, you plop down $2300 and then are obligated to pay semi-annual dues. Are you going to audition while you're in LS? How? You miss enough classes during 1st semester trying you'll really find yourself in a world of hurt.

If you want to act, go try and be an actor. If you want to become a lawyer, it's time to buckle down and start saving some $$.
I act for fun. I can't help it if I'm good at it.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:08 pm

andyman wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
andyman wrote:

I act for fun. I can't help it if I'm good at it.
Dude, your an extra. You have a pulse and don't smell bad. If that's fun to you and your good at it (????), more power to you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:09 pm

I act for fun. I can't help it if I'm good at it.[/quote]
Dude, your an extra. You have a pulse and don't smell bad. If that's fun to you and your good at it (????), more power to you.[/quote]

Extra's dont get waivers, I have received 2 waivers. Plus, I had a small part in Step-Up 3D as a principle actor. Stop hating, loser.

rx3r

Bronze

Post by rx3r » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:19 pm

If you are who I think you are via Imdb, your acting career is thus far nothing more than an interesting soft. I say this having a short film credit. Besides, everyone in LA has a credit. My LSAT instructor had several, in fact.
Last edited by rx3r on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:20 pm

This is off topic, but I love the Step-Up movies and if I were an adcom, I'd totally let you in. 8)

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:21 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:I got Aric Bordin!
Love that movie.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:22 pm

andyman wrote:Extra's dont get waivers, I have received 2 waivers. Plus, I had a small part in Step-Up 3D as a principle actor. Stop hating, loser.
Bro, it's Step Up 3D. This isn't exactly generation-shaping like the first Step Up.

hth

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:24 pm

rx3r wrote:If you are who I think you are via Imdb, your acting career is thus far nothing more than an interesting soft. I say this having a short film credit. Besides, everyone in LA has a credit. My LSAT instructor had several, in fact.
The purpose of this thread was to ask if an acting career would assist me in getting into law school, NOT be the driving force behind my candidacy.

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:24 pm

hellokitty wrote:This is off topic, but I love the Step-Up movies and if I were an adcom, I'd totally let you in. 8)
thanks babe

rx3r

Bronze

Post by rx3r » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:25 pm

andyman wrote:
rx3r wrote:If you are who I think you are via Imdb, your acting career is thus far nothing more than an interesting soft. I say this having a short film credit. Besides, everyone in LA has a credit. My LSAT instructor had several, in fact.
The purpose of this thread was to ask if an acting career would assist me in getting into law school, NOT be the driving force behind my candidacy.
Well, I don't think it's going to do much for you other than be "interesting." Not to disparage your work or anything. It's just mildly interesting, and shows you have a talent. I'd equate it to someone who was talented at something else that wouldn't necessarily be relevant to law school studies, i.e. being in a decent band.
Last edited by rx3r on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:26 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
andyman wrote:Extra's dont get waivers, I have received 2 waivers. Plus, I had a small part in Step-Up 3D as a principle actor. Stop hating, loser.
Bro, it's Step Up 3D. This isn't exactly generation-shaping like the first Step Up.

hth
I must be in the wrong generation, because I have no idea what a Step Up movie is.

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:27 pm

andyman wrote:
hellokitty wrote:This is off topic, but I love the Step-Up movies and if I were an adcom, I'd totally let you in. 8)
thanks babe
Ew.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:30 pm

andyman wrote:I act for fun. I can't help it if I'm good at it.
Mr. Matlock wrote:Dude, your an extra. You have a pulse and don't smell bad. If that's fun to you and your good at it (????), more power to you.
I'm not hating... or name calling my friend. Any YES, extras can qualify for waivers, IF they're available:
You can also get your SAG Card by working as an extra and getting three SAG-extra vouchers that are recognized by the union. Usually, it will specify if the production company is looking for SAG or Non-SAG. Due to union regulation rule, that for each production, they need to have a certain percentage of Union Actors on set. If a scene requires a LOT of background extras, and there weren't enough SAG Actors available, they will use the Non-Union talents. The Non-Union will get paid as Non-Union Talents.

So, how does a Non-Union Extra get paid with SAG Extra rate? (Which entitles you to get a SAG voucher)

Here are the two scenarios:

1) The Director asks you to say a line or perform as a stand-in for one of the principles.

2) Some SAG Extras didn't show up on set. In order for the production to full-fill the required UNION talents on set, the first few reigstered Non-Union extras will get bumped up. (For example, the SAG Talents' sign in number is 1-25. From 26 - 100 is Non-Union. If #20,21,& 22 did not show up, then #26,27 & 28 will get paid as SAG Extras)

3) The Background/Extra talent agency is in need for a certain type of Backgrounds, and offers SAG-Waivers to those who match the description. So, for Background works, it's really depends on Luck - or a casting at the right time, for the right type.

Alot of people would agree that doing Commercial work is the fastest way to become SAG-Eligible.
So if you have a "principle" role in Step-Up 3D, you wouldn't need another waiver. But of course you're really good at what you do and probably already knew that. You's just joshin' us, right? I thought so. Don't call us, we'll call you.

Next.

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:32 pm

toolshed wrote:
andyman wrote:
thanks babe
Ew.
Lol, I was just being honest. The first one reminds me so much of my senior year in high school. Anyways haha

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”