LORs: Three years out of school - who to ask? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
topthrill

New

LORs: Three years out of school - who to ask?

Post by topthrill » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:13 am

I'm 3 years out of college and am applying to LS in the fall. I took Business Law (A+), Engineering Law (A+), and Argumentation (A) my senior year in college. The law courses were graduate level courses that were in the business and engineering departments (not the law school). I never really spoke with my law professors (who were practicing lawyers that taught night classes), but I got to know my argumentation professor. However, I haven't talked to her for nearly 3 years, so she probably either forgot me or has a faint recollection of me. Including my current boss, which 2/3/4 out of these 4 people would be the best to ask for a LOR? I am unsure if having actual lawyers write recommendations is a good idea, especially if they do not know me. However, I do still have my old tests that I could scan and send to them for their review. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

hsprophet

Bronze

Re: LORs: Three years out of school - who to ask?

Post by hsprophet » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:18 am

If you are three years out of school, the adcomms realize that it's not always feasible to get LORs from professors.

You could ask professors if they remember you well enough to write one before directly asking them to write one for you. But since you haven't had contact in three years, I would stick to people at your work or someone who has knowledge of your abilities. You don't want to end up with a letter that says "I don't really remember this guy."

I got one LOR from a coworker and another from a friend who is an attorney who has handled some legal matters for me and is well aware of my abilities. He and I talk legal stuff all the time.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:22 am

i would ask the argumenation professor. it is usually a good idea to have at least one academic LOR. if you got an A in the class, he/she will at least give you the generic form letter type LOR, which is sufficient. just make sure to ask "would you feel comfortable writing me a recommendation" in a way such that they can back out. The main thing you want to avoid is a negative LOR.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:41 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”