Imagine getting Dinged/WL for mistaken LSN or TLS account Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SandyC877

Bronze

Imagine getting Dinged/WL for mistaken LSN or TLS account

Post by SandyC877 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:52 am

There seems to be pretty solid evidence that Adcoms do browse TLS/LSN and take notice of individual posters. I can't say whether they actually make decisions based partly on what they fish out over the web, but it seems like a dangerous assumption.

For example, on that one Yale blog, the adcom says that for some posters, it's not hard to identify who they are...etc. What if they are mistaken? I for one never give out my actual name, gender, race, or any numbers. It seems like a dangerous assumption to make - "Ok so there is SandyC on LSN, and SandyC on TLS. They must be the same person, and oh look at this applicant name Sandy with similar stats.." Well, what if that wasn't true? What if somebody decided to use their roommate's name, or even name of someone you hate, who had similar numbers etc?

Now, I don't have a shred of evidence to the truth of the latter statement, but my gut feeling tells me that this has been done before and still is practiced in the admissions process.

r6_philly

Diamond

Re: Imagine getting Dinged/WL for mistaken LSN or TLS account

Post by r6_philly » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:19 am

It is fairly easy to match up a username to an actual person with the information you submitted on your app, for most applicants. (google certain things or combination of things). Some are better with staying anynomous but most are not savy enough about web privacy. I don't claim to know adcom policies and procedures but I know they should be able to figure out most people they want to figure out.

SandyC877

Bronze

Post by SandyC877 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:24 am

r6_philly wrote:It is fairly easy to match up a username to an actual person with the information you submitted on your app, for most applicants. (google certain things or combination of things). Some are better with staying anynomous but most are not savy enough about web privacy. I don't claim to know adcom policies and procedures but I know they should be able to figure out most people they want to figure out.
and if they are wrong? It just seems like a far fetched move for adcoms to really make, but it seems that they do.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:30 am

SandyC877 wrote: and if they are wrong?
They give your seat to another highly qualified candidate. Schools still get the $$$ and the stats they want/need and you cry your tears of shame and sadness

Reinhardt

Bronze

Post by Reinhardt » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:32 am

Maybe it will become wise to disclose this information in the future (or now). Rather than letting adcomms guess, just tell them in an addendum whether or not you have an LSN profile, and if you do, what the username is. Same for prelaw boards where they might hang out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:43 am

SandyC877 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:It is fairly easy to match up a username to an actual person with the information you submitted on your app, for most applicants. (google certain things or combination of things). Some are better with staying anynomous but most are not savy enough about web privacy. I don't claim to know adcom policies and procedures but I know they should be able to figure out most people they want to figure out.
and if they are wrong? It just seems like a far fetched move for adcoms to really make, but it seems that they do.
How can you know that having a profile and getting rejected is related since they don't disclose the reason for rejection? I guess it is possible for an identity mismatch but I'd hope they are pretty positive they identify the right person before taking action. That said, someone has the exact same name as me and just so happen to be in the same profession too with web presence, I know people have mistaken that other person for me (or just didn't know there are two people with the same "unique" name). So I guess it's possible.

The smart thing to do, as is taught in computer security courses, is to do a comprehensive search online for anyone who could be mistaken as you, and submit an addendum if there is a cause of concern.

Here in PA a potential teacher lost her professional future for some drinking photos discovered by the school, so I understand your concern. Self checks seem like the prodent things to do.

liberty

New

Post by liberty » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:08 am

Hello law admissions people. My name is John Banks and my LSAT score is 172. I majored in history.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:54 am

This is why I try not to be a douche online. :lol:

If I ever see HALF of you freaks in person I'll be sure to let you have it.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:58 am

Nightrunner wrote:
liberty wrote:Hello law admissions people. My name is Phillip Banks and my LSAT score was a 47 (on the old scale). You probably recognize my personal statement about raising my wife's nephew, who was from West Philadelphia, born and raised.
LMAO.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:59 am

Nightrunner wrote:
liberty wrote:Hello law admissions people. My name is Phillip Banks and my LSAT score was a 47 (on the old scale). You probably recognize my personal statement about raising my wife's nephew, who was from West Philadelphia, born and raised.
Interesting. Was there a particular reason you had to raise your nephew?
Last edited by toolshed on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:59 am

I have trouble imagining that being potentially [but not conclusively] identified on a message board could affect admissions decisions.

Let's say, for example, that I used my first and last names for my TLS handle. Then, I proceed to post my LSAT score, GPA, and discuss schools I'm applying to. Let's say I even go so far as to say "The only reason I'm hoping to get into Georgetown is for leveraging scholarship money" or "Yo, Vandy sucks, I'm just applying to fuck with their yield rates."

If a Vandy AdComm sees these comments, how do they know that it's really me? How do they know that it isn't my ex-girlfriend out to slander me? Would they really make a decision based on completely un-verifiable factors? Would this really happen? I don't know (and I wouldn't want to find out), but it seems a little far-fetched.

Firing a teacher for photos of her drinking on Facebook is one thing -- those are actual photographs. But anyone can make a TLS or LSN account and use their friend's (or enemy's, for that matter) information; there are no checks and balances in place to prevent folks from posing as someone they aren't -- it's the story of the internet.

All that aside, it's pretty dumb to give away any identifying factors about yourself or sites like this, and I definitely wouldn't rule out the possibility that it could cause real problems. However, when you step back and look at what we're really talking about, I do doubt that any respectable AdComm (at a law school, no less) would take conclusive action based on otherwise unverifiable information.

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:05 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
toolshed wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
Interesting. Was there a particular reason you had to raise your nephew?
He was involved in an altercation, and his mother became afraid.
A-ha. That will happen. A princely gentleman to overcome such hardship.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:26 pm

Tracking you down is easy but tracking all applicants down is too much work.

Dean Pless at UIUC confirms he reviews each app for 5 minutes. He isn't tracking you down on LSN or TLS.

However if you go on the UIUC thread and call him a cunt, he probably could.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:33 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I have trouble imagining that being potentially [but not conclusively] identified on a message board could affect admissions decisions.

Let's say, for example, that I used my first and last names for my TLS handle. Then, I proceed to post my LSAT score, GPA, and discuss schools I'm applying to. Let's say I even go so far as to say "The only reason I'm hoping to get into Georgetown is for leveraging scholarship money" or "Yo, Vandy sucks, I'm just applying to fuck with their yield rates."

If a Vandy AdComm sees these comments, how do they know that it's really me? How do they know that it isn't my ex-girlfriend out to slander me? Would they really make a decision based on completely un-verifiable factors? Would this really happen? I don't know (and I wouldn't want to find out), but it seems a little far-fetched.

Firing a teacher for photos of her drinking on Facebook is one thing -- those are actual photographs. But anyone can make a TLS or LSN account and use their friend's (or enemy's, for that matter) information; there are no checks and balances in place to prevent folks from posing as someone they aren't -- it's the story of the internet.

All that aside, it's pretty dumb to give away any identifying factors about yourself or sites like this, and I definitely wouldn't rule out the possibility that it could cause real problems. However, when you step back and look at what we're really talking about, I do doubt that any respectable AdComm (at a law school, no less) would take conclusive action based on otherwise unverifiable information.
+1 I'm of THIS ideology, but at the same time, you never know.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:54 pm

I just cleaned up my facebook thanks to this thread. No drunk pics of me stumbling down the street or pics of me making out those hot models from the bar who were totally into me. No sir. According to my facebook I'm like a black Dwight Schrute.

--ImageRemoved--

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:58 pm

That would be the ultimate way to screw someone over, ask em about law school, ask em about their numbers... make a TLS/LSN user with his first name and last initial and birthyear then go batshit racist and specifically reference their top school choices and act like they are beneath you.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:07 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
Sogui wrote:That would be the ultimate way to screw someone over, ask em about law school, ask em about their numbers... make a TLS/LSN user with his first name and last initial and birthyear then go batshit racist and specifically reference their top school choices and act like they are beneath you.
a/s/l/gpa/lsat/top choices/interesting sexual stories ?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:14 pm

Sogui wrote:That would be the ultimate way to screw someone over, ask em about law school, ask em about their numbers... make a TLS/LSN user with his first name and last initial and birthyear then go batshit racist and specifically reference their top school choices and act like they are beneath you.
Then that's when you call the FBI to report identity theft and wire fraud as well as draft up a civil suit against the fake.

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:27 pm

Anybody else remember a couple of years ago when there was that "auto admit" case.

Ruined a few careers.

Don't be an ass.

Online or IRL.

Problems solved.

SandyC877

Bronze

Post by SandyC877 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:30 pm

notanumber wrote:Anybody else remember a couple of years ago when there was that "auto admit" case.

Ruined a few careers.

Don't be an ass.

Online or IRL.

Problems solved.
no what was the case?

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:37 pm

SandyC877 wrote: no what was the case?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoAdmit# ... harassment

AFAIK: Basically some scumbag trolls said some defamatory things online. Statements that lead to IRL harassment. Careers got ruined.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Trifles

Bronze

Post by Trifles » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:25 pm

Internet lawl suits :lol:

If a school doesn't accept people because of stupid messageboard shit, then I wouldn't want to be associated with them anyways.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:17 pm

Don't laugh, this is the area of the law I am getting into. I already had experience working with FBI prosecuting a unauthorized access case, and I am going to law school with plans to further my web/security/info assurance career. Discussions like this one perfectly illustrate the fact that the law is lacking in the new technology frontiers.

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:26 pm

Dont use your real name for you username... pshhh... what idiot would do that?

Moose Thompson

Bronze

Post by Moose Thompson » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:27 pm

BruceBarr wrote:Dont use your real name for you username... pshhh... what idiot would do that?
Yeah, it would take a real marrooon. :P

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”