Low LSAT/Low GPA.... do I have any chances? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Borhas

Platinum

Re: Low LSAT/Low GPA.... do I have any chances?

Post by Borhas » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:16 pm

anniePR wrote:I really want to go to law school, but I'm not sure if I have chances of getting in somewhere. I scored 143 on the LSAT and my GPA is 2.5, I know my numbers are horrible but I am and ethnic minority ( puerto rican) who had to overcome many obstacles during college specially the language barrier. I would like to stay in the east coast, any chances for me??
you don't have a good chance anywhere, and anywhere you would get into would almost certainly not be worth leaving government job in exchange for mountains of debt. Work for a at least the rest of this year and study the LSAT. It is not a test you want to take without preparation, and by preparation I don't mean studying a few nights a week for a few weeks, I mean taking a prep course, getting a tutor, and working on LSAT problems for 15+hours a week every week 3-4 months before your scheduled exam. There is lots of LSAT prep information on this website (look in the LSAT specific forum). With a decently high LSAT, and URM status, and work experience you WILL have a much better chance. Hell, people have gotten into Northwestern with lower gpas.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Perjury

Bronze

Post by Perjury » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:39 pm

anniePR wrote:I really want to go to law school, but I'm not sure if I have chances of getting in somewhere. I scored 143 on the LSAT and my GPA is 2.5, I know my numbers are horrible but I am and ethnic minority ( puerto rican) who had to overcome many obstacles during college specially the language barrier. I would like to stay in the east coast, any chances for me??
take the LSAT again, try to score in the 150's and apply to law school's part-time programs only , then you got a shot.

onthecusp

Bronze

Post by onthecusp » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:53 pm

liberty wrote:
$1.99 wrote:this clown called liberty has been pathetically stalking the forum, i think he is just a high schooler who thinks he is smart because he read great expectations and finally understood it after reading it five times, ignore this douche
Class one player hater alert.
What would a class two player hater be? And furthermore, where can I find a defined scale of player haterness?

onthecusp

Bronze

Post by onthecusp » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:02 pm

To the OP, you can go to law school; but not with a 143. The fact that you are still asking if law school is still a possibility knowing how bad your numbers are tells me something about you. If you are willing to put forth the effort and study like your life depended on it and score a 155+ on the LSAT, anything can happen. Your going to need as high an LSAT score as possible to offset your low GPA. You have decent softs, and assuming you can put together a stellar Personal Statement, supplemented with a stellar Diversity Statement, and an addendum explaining the circumstances surrounding your low GPA.....a tier 1 school is not out of the realm of possibility for you.

However, like many others have intimated, Law School is no joke. It's 8-12 hours of study outside of class every day just to be average. If you are unwilling to put forth similar effort for the LSAT, which by comparison is astoundingly easier than anything you will do in law school, then you don't want this bad enough and you should consider another profession. However, if you ARE willing to put in the work....go for it. Take a chance and gamble on yourself. If you want it bad enough, it will happen.

Me-a Culpa

Bronze

Post by Me-a Culpa » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:03 pm

liberty wrote: But, anyway, to be honest you have absolutely no chance at any law school. If you are blaming a language barrier/ "life obstacles" for doing so incredibly poorly in college (even by Puerto Rican standards) what makes you think you'll do any better in law school? Good job fucking up so badly moron....and I call b.s on your little "Oh I'm a poor Puerto Rican" story too.... You probably were partying and procrastinating, aint that the truth? Enjoy minimum wage for the rest of your life.
liberty wrote:I'm running a 3.6 UW GPA in high school right now. I have a feeling its going to be a 3.5 by the time I graduate. The lowness of that strikes out any possible chance at any prestigious UG, so I'll probably go to my local state university, the udub (university of Washington). What are my chances of getting into a good law school? What will I have to do? I can never find any good EC? Also I'm terrible at math, will that hurt my chances? I'm a URM so should I go to HBC cause a lot of them recruit there? Thanks
Wow, you really are in High School. FYI: You'll NEVER get into UW with a 3.5.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:13 pm

liberty wrote:Y[strike]ou have a pretty good change of landing a job at the local Japanese sushi restaurant, and that's only if you raise your GPA to 2.6....

But, anyway, to be honest you have absolutely no chance at any law school. If you are blaming a language barrier/ "life obstacles" for doing so incredibly poorly in college (even by Puerto Rican standards) what makes you think you'll do any better in law school? Good job fucking up so badly moron....and I call b.s on your little "Oh I'm a poor Puerto Rican" story too.... You probably were partying and procrastinating, aint that the truth? Enjoy minimum wage for the rest of your life.[/strike]
Get the fuck out of here, turd-cake
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:16 pm

liberty wrote:You have a pretty good change of landing a job at the local Japanese sushi restaurant, and that's only if you raise your GPA to 2.6....

But, anyway, to be honest you have absolutely no chance at any law school. If you are blaming a language barrier/ "life obstacles" for doing so incredibly poorly in college (even by Puerto Rican standards) what makes you think you'll do any better in law school? Good job fucking up so badly moron....and I call b.s on your little "Oh I'm a poor Puerto Rican" story too.... You probably were partying and procrastinating, aint that the truth? Enjoy minimum wage for the rest of your life.
Wow that was totally uncalled for.

Anyways, I agree with the other posters who said wait until the next cycle and study extra hard for your LSAT. Unfortunately you cant really do much to improve your undergrad GPA but if you studdy hard enough you could definitely improve your LSAT by a preety big margin. You should be able to improve your score to at least 150+ which would give you the opportunity to at least go part-time to an accredited law school.

Best of luck and pay no attention to the people like the poster I quoted.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:31 pm

FYI, liberty is a troll; no need to respond to him/her.

You're really going to need a better LSAT if you want a good shot at law school. Since you're sitting on a well-paying job right now, take as much time as you need to study and re-take. This has the added benefit of putting more space between you and that 2.5.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:17 pm

JustDude wrote: Agree!!! Redneck working in a subway???... I need to see that to believe it
You need to come out to where I live.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:23 pm

liberty wrote:You have a pretty good change of landing a job at the local Japanese sushi restaurant, and that's only if you raise your GPA to 2.6....

But, anyway, to be honest you have absolutely no chance at any law school. If you are blaming a language barrier/ "life obstacles" for doing so incredibly poorly in college (even by Puerto Rican standards) what makes you think you'll do any better in law school? Good job fucking up so badly moron....and I call b.s on your little "Oh I'm a poor Puerto Rican" story too.... You probably were partying and procrastinating, aint that the truth? Enjoy minimum wage for the rest of your life.
You're a fucking douche.

I hope you go to Liberty University.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:25 pm

Let me be the dick without the trolling and racism.

If 143 is the best you can do then you will probably end up at the bottom of whatever fourth tier doc review training center takes you.

If that statement pisses you off restudy for the LSAT and do better. If you can't make gains on the LSAT you probably can't do well in law school. I suspect you didn't study very hard the first time around. You need to realize you are competing with people who spent months studying.

Honestly though, a nice government job is pretty much win right now. I'd keep it. Unless you go to a top school you won't even be making that much after law school.

mb88

Bronze

Post by mb88 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:43 pm

I think there is an important factor here that many people are missing in their rush to say nice things to distance themselves from the troll:

The OP has trouble with English.

That is not meant as a subtle dig, an insult in any way, nor as a way to question his intelligence. Even if he's the next Einstein, and only has difficulty with English because he's been speaking it for all of 3 weeks, that still means he's not currently cut out to be an American lawyer. The law, as a field, revolves around analyzing the most complicated and convoluted examples of the English language you will ever find. What makes you think that somebody with rudimentary knowledge of the language can or should make a career out of it? Perhaps in a couple years when the OP is completely fluent and can score above a 150 on the LSAT, he will be ready.

As of right now, I firmly believe that attempting to become a lawyer without complete mastery of the language you plan on practicing in borders on unethical conduct. Future clients will be placing their freedom and wealth in his hands, trusting that he is fully able to navigate the system. Without absolute fluency, he will be betraying this trust. It's not a matter of his intelligence, it's a matter of practicality.

Would you consider it appropriate for somebody who has not learned calculus to work as an engineer?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:14 pm

I agree with the last 2 posts. If you truly want to be a lawyer, you should take the effort to master the LSAT and score well above 150, to have any chance at a decent law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”