Withdrawing applications once you get accepted elsewhere? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NYC2013

New

Withdrawing applications once you get accepted elsewhere?

Post by NYC2013 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:11 pm

I've been fortunate enough to get accepted to a few of my top choices early on, and I was wondering what the protocol is for withdrawing from other schools to which I've applied but haven't yet been accepted. I've been under review for a while now at a couple schools I have no intention of attending after the acceptances I've received, and I'm wondering if they are holding my application to see if I'm still interested. I know schools care about their yield numbers, so is it considered polite to withdraw early on? Or should I keep options open in case something happens and make a collage of my acceptance letters to boost my ego?

JayCole

New

Re: Withdrawing applications once you get accepted elsewhere?

Post by JayCole » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:26 pm

Some schools have a link within their Admitted Students website that allows for you to electronically withdraw your application. Otherwise, you can just send an email to the admissions office letting them know that you are withdrawing your application.

shanejamin

New

Post by shanejamin » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:31 pm

Probably not a lot of people are going to do it, but it is very polite to do so. It's good for the school so that they can keep their yield numbers up, and it's good for candidates that haven't been so fortunate and might get your spot rather than languishing in waitlist purgatory.

Congrats on getting into your top choices! I'm still in the holding pattern. *drinks*

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:24 pm

I sent withdrawal emails to a bunch of schools a few weeks ago after getting into NYU. Almost all of them have gotten back to me with an email thanking me for letting them know and wishing me good luck. Do the same: It's polite, and it helps other applicants get in faster to schools they might really want to attend.

Edit: I just realized that I wrote "a few weeks ago". It might feel like that long, but it's only been a week. Totally irrelevant to all of you, of course, but it made me feel silly to have it sitting there uncorrected.
Last edited by BenJ on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bloodonthetracks

Bronze

Post by bloodonthetracks » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:31 pm

BenJ wrote:I sent withdrawal emails to a bunch of schools a few weeks ago after getting into NYU. Almost all of them have gotten back to me with an email thanking me for letting them know and wishing me good luck. Do the same: It's polite, and it helps other applicants get in faster to schools they might really want to attend.
This is correct.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”