Will You Take the "Best" School Or Follow The Money? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Will You Be Taking The Ranking or the Scholarship?

Dream School at Sticker
55%
Target School at Significant Discount
36%
Safety School for Free
9%

Total votes: 101

Jacques

Bronze

Will You Take the "Best" School Or Follow The Money?

Post by Jacques » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:02 am

Curious to get folks' impression on this topic:

Traditional TLS logic says to take the "best" school you get into (a.k.a. best ranked), debt be damned.

With the economy still suffering, and law jobs as scarce as ever, will merit scholarship money play a part in your decision-making process this year?

It's interesting to consider, if only because conservative action by students who would usually pay ticket price at T14 schools would have a butterfly effect all the way down the ABA rankings.

For example, let's say a student has two admissions offers: One is sticker at Michigan, the other a half-scholly at Texas. If the student takes the Texas offer, all of the sudden, the next-tier student who would have previously gotten in by the skin of their teeth at Texas now gets shut out, and is stuck between the choice of Illinois at sticker, or George Mason at half-off. And let's say that student takes the GM offer...

You can see where this goes.

Of course, certain schools (looking at you HYS) will always be in incredible demand. This won't apply to them. For many schools though, this could represent a radical dynamic shift, prematurely inflating GPA/LSAT 25th/75th numbers across the board, and making many schools much harder to get into.

The question is this: Do you think this will happen, and, if so, what will be the number ranking (or school) where people start to pass up sticker admission for big piles of money?
Last edited by Jacques on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

kittenmittons

Silver

Re: Will You Take the "Best" School Or Follow The Money?

Post by kittenmittons » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:05 am

Jacques wrote:Curious to get folks' impression on this topic:

Traditional TLS logic says to take the "best" school you get into (a.k.a. best ranked), debt be damned.

With the economy still suffering, and law jobs as scarce as ever, will merit scholarship money play a part in your decision-making process this year?

It's interesting to consider, if only because conservative action by students who would usually pay ticket price at T14 schools would have a butterfly effect all the way down the ABA rankings.

For example, let's say a student has two admissions offers: One is sticker at Michigan, the other a half-scholly at Texas. If the student takes the Texas offer, all of the sudden, the next-tier student who would have previously gotten in by the skin of their teeth at TU now gets shut out, and is stuck between the choice of Illinois at sticker, or George Mason at half-off. And let's say that student takes the GM offer...

You can see where this goes.

Of course, certain schools (looking at you HYS) will always be in incredible demand. This won't apply to them. For many schools though, this could represent a radical dynamic shift, prematurely inflating GPA/LSAT 25th/75th numbers across the board, and making many schools much harder to get into.

The question is this: Do you think this will happen, and, if so, what will be the number ranking (or school) where people start to pass up sticker admission for big piles of money?
Subtle anti-Texas/pro-Texas A&M trolling

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:08 am

I really wish employment statistics would freaking come out for the class of 2009 so we could make some more educated decisions as to whether picking the dream school would be worth it.

Jacques

Bronze

Post by Jacques » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:14 am

adh07d wrote:I really wish employment statistics would freaking come out for the class of 2009 so we could make some more educated decisions as to whether picking the dream school would be worth it.
What really needs to happen is a change in the way schools report jobs. Freelance, part-time jobs, when counted as part of the "employed in the legal field" tally, totally misrepresent the job market and the opportunities afforded by having a JD.
Last edited by Jacques on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:23 am

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

njskatchmo

Bronze

Post by njskatchmo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:34 am

This will depend greatly on your range. If you are in at all t14 - HYS, with full at gtown, I would be really tempted to do gtown. However if I was in at all t14 - HYS and my only full was at school ranked 50, it would be different.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:40 pm

As a sub-3 splitter, none of my scholarships offered even half tuition, even at McGeorge. I got basically the same tuition offer there (currently ranked 3rd tier) as at UIUC (T25). I'm just not in a great position to get a pile of money anywhere, even though I'll be going T14.

I also think that HYS is worth at least $200k more than Georgetown, for my goals anyway.

yune

New

Post by yune » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:46 pm

Even thought employment data is misleading, does anyone know when the 2009 data will be available?

Bronze

Post by 342848386278 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:09 pm

All a matter of whether I can get into my dream school. Seems more realistic that I'll end up following a good financial offer, but if Berkeley or UPenn calls me I'll melt and merrily pay loan payments for the rest of my life. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm

I went to nearby state schools and took all the grants and scholarships I could to graduated debt free from undergrad, now I want to shoot for the best.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:21 pm

Ug I have this exact dilemma. Got into Chicago and Cornell, but have really nice scholarship offers from BU and GW, both of which are in cities I'd be happy to study in. I have no clue how I'm supposed to make this decision.

too old for this sh*

Bronze

Post by too old for this sh* » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:22 pm

I am one of those handful that voted to follow the money. However, the qualifier to my response is that I already have offers of employment in my area of expertise once the JD was obtained and Bar Card was firmly in hand. As a result, I have less of an issue with needing pedigree to help in making up the money I will be losing during the reduced work hours that take place while GETTING the JD...

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:30 pm

The way my cycle worked, I got great offers until the point that I hit a wall of WLs. Doesn't look like I'll get into my reaches, so quite happily I'll be taking a half tuition scholarship to one of my high-end targets. The caveat in my choice is that I'm lined up for IP law, so I don't feel quite the onus to attend the highest ranked school possible.

I doubt I would've paid sticker for anywhere except Yale or Harvard.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:34 pm

Highest ranked school with full $.

insidethetwenty

Bronze

Post by insidethetwenty » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:39 pm

I'm not even sure I'm going to get into my "soft reaches" (i.e. the ones I'd probably have to pay sticker for). So it will probably be a target school with $$ or a safety if a safety comes through with a full ride...

KimmyGibbler

New

Post by KimmyGibbler » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:02 pm

I got into BU, Fordham, and BC at sticker, but I think I will instead be going to Temple for about $10k a year. I wont be going to Drexel for free, even though I have the option. I'm from Philly and am happy to settle down here, which makes the decision easier

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”