They asked me for explanation of LSAT scores Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

New

They asked me for explanation of LSAT scores

Post by 080910 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:01 am

Deleted by author
Last edited by 080910 on Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Re: They asked me for explanation of LSAT scores

Post by TheBigMediocre » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:02 am

Honesty is a good policy. Just write a nicely-worded note saying you were nervous the first time but the experience gave you the confidence to really nail it the second time.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:11 am

Imo if the school didn't like you they wouldnt be asking you for an excuse to overlook your multiple LSAT.

Campagnolo

Silver

Post by Campagnolo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:25 am

TheBigMediocre wrote:Honesty is a good policy. Just write a nicely-worded note saying you were nervous the first time but the experience gave you the confidence to really nail it the second time.
Just make sure not to use the split infinitive above...

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:43 am

Campagnolo wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote:Honesty is a good policy. Just write a nicely-worded note saying you were nervous the first time but the experience gave you the confidence to really nail it the second time.
Just make sure not to use the split infinitive above...
I would like to definitely agree with the above post.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:47 am

I think the idea of mentioning practice tests at all in an addendum is beyond stupid. Keep that in mind. I also think test anxiety is a bad answer. Go with a more general, "I was having a bad day." Everyone has bad days because they are tired (or anxious).

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:48 am

Blame it on misbubbling.

New

Post by 080910 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:49 am

Deleted by author
Last edited by 080910 on Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New

Post by 080910 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:50 am

Cupidity wrote:I think the idea of mentioning practice tests at all in an addendum is beyond stupid. Keep that in mind. I also think test anxiety is a bad answer. Go with a more general, "I was having a bad day." Everyone has bad days because they are tired (or anxious).

Could you please clarify why you think this?
Last edited by 080910 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

druss3ll

New

Post by druss3ll » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:50 am

Blame Canada.

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:53 am

Got the same from UC Davis two days ago. It's weird to write because you feel like you're making excuses for your first LSAT. At the same time, adcomms are pretty much begging for an excuse by asking you t write this in the first place.

too old for this sh*

Bronze

Post by too old for this sh* » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:58 am

Any number of variables allow for a reasonable explanation. Think explanation, not excuse. As others aptly note...if they didn't want you, they would not bother to ask for the explanation.

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:08 pm

sodennis wrote:
Cupidity wrote:I think the idea of mentioning practice tests at all in an addendum is beyond stupid. Keep that in mind. I also think test anxiety is a bad answer. Go with a more general, "I was having a bad day." Everyone has bad days because they are tired (or anxious).

Could you please clarify why you think this?
IMO, anything more than mentioning PTs in passing could be a mistake. The reason is mainly because (a) anyone can make up how well they were doing on their PTs and (b) the test conditions rarely replicate those in the actual test environment. Saying "Well i was 177s on my PTs, but only got a 159 on the real thing" is irrelevant and sounds stupid, and does not reflect positively on you... In my addendum I mentioned PTs in passing (nothing specific) only to illustrate that one of my scores was the most representative of where I should be, and I got into a pretty good school, so it probably doesn't really matter as long as you don't come off like an asshole or a liar.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:12 pm

Davis made me write one months ago. I basically said I retook twice because I thought I could do better based on practice tests, and argued that my highest score should count as the most representative. It didn't matter too much for me, since even my lowest score alone exceeded their median.

I avoided it doing it specifically because most schools don't really even pretend to care.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:14 pm

sodennis wrote:One of the schools I applied to asked for an explanation of the difference between my two lsat scores. On the first test I scored a 158, and on the second test I scored a 164. While I was studying for the LSAT I always scored between 161-168. Only twice out of the 30+ exams that I took did I score below a 160.

Basically the only answer I have as to why I scored much lower than my testing range on the first exam is that I was extremely anxious. To some degree, the rest of my life was hinging on this test and I think that led to lower performance.

Should I say this in my explanation? I wasn't sick, the test center wasn't overly distracting (aside from the proctor going in and out of the room and me being closest to the door), and I prepared for both exams the same (so lower performance wasn't due to lack of effort or preparation).

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance!
What were the dates of your two two tests? Perhaps it was Bush's fault?

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:16 pm

JazzOne wrote: What were the dates of your two two tests? Perhaps it was Bush's fault?
I lol'd.

cassieyuc

New

Post by cassieyuc » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:26 pm

NayBoer wrote:Davis made me write one months ago. I basically said I retook twice because I thought I could do better based on practice tests, and argued that my highest score should count as the most representative. It didn't matter too much for me, since even my lowest score alone exceeded their median.

I avoided it doing it specifically because most schools don't really even pretend to care.
Do you think mention anxiety is too specific, I have similar situation

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:29 pm

If said school has moved up or down a few spots in the USNWR in the last few years; ask them about it in your reply.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:30 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:30 pm

I wrote an addendum for a similar situation as yours, I can PM it to you if you would like.

cassieyuc

New

Post by cassieyuc » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:34 pm

maggiebre wrote:I wrote an addendum for a similar situation as yours, I can PM it to you if you would like.
Sure, Thanks a lot, Maggiebre,

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Maven

New

Post by Maven » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:41 pm

IMHO it is ludicrous for Davis to ask such a question. If the discrepancy implicated some kind of fraud its inquiry would be appropriate, but to ask about an improvement of 6 points serves no purpose. What do the adcoms expect the applicant to say other than "I was nervous", "I felt like crap", "my significant other dumped me the night before the test" etc.
Hell-the only reason that applicants take the test multiple times is to improve. So in Davis' view if you do improve you have to justify your improved score.
These are the same kind of people who will ask you at an interview "where do you expect to be in five years?"!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:26 pm

reasonable_man wrote:If said school has moved up or down a few spots in the USNWR in the last few years; ask them about it in your reply.
Lol

Tell them that their rise in the rankings inspired you to perform better.

LiveFree

New

Post by LiveFree » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:31 pm

Tell them that said school is your top choice and that you knew you'd have no shot with a 158, so you redoubled your efforts...simple as that.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:45 pm

cassieyuc wrote:
NayBoer wrote:Davis made me write one months ago. I basically said I retook twice because I thought I could do better based on practice tests, and argued that my highest score should count as the most representative. It didn't matter too much for me, since even my lowest score alone exceeded their median.

Do you think mention anxiety is too specific, I have similar situation
I suppose you could plausibly mention anxiety if you subsequently improved your score (rather than expecting them to take your word for it that you could have done better). Might be easier if it's diagnosed and being medicated, but I would not mention anxiety in any case.

If you throw out your anxiety as an excuse, most likely it just sounds like an excuse. It might make them wonder if it will affect your performance in law school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”