Seat deposit question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
newyorker88

Silver

Seat deposit question

Post by newyorker88 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:50 pm

So I got my apps out around the end of december and early january. I got my first acceptance last week and the school wants to know my decision by April 15. April 15 seems very early to me as I'm not expecting to hear back from most of the school I applied to until mid march. Is this the norm, having to respond by april? also are seat deposits binding? Could I give seat deposits to two schools? And are seat deposits negotiable? Could I get the school to give me a later date to have to respond by? Thanks!

JordynAsh

Bronze

Re: Seat deposit question

Post by JordynAsh » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:55 pm

To my knowledge seat deposits are not negotiable, and if you end up getting off a WL you're going to have to eat any seat deposit you previously put down at another school.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:21 pm

thanks! and does anyone know if april is the general seat deposit deadline for most schools?

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:39 pm

newyorker88 wrote:thanks! and does anyone know if april is the general seat deposit deadline for most schools?
Yes, it is.

haylie

New

Post by haylie » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:33 am

yup. I was recently accepted and my seat deposit is that exact same date.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:43 am

newyorker88 wrote:thanks! and does anyone know if april is the general seat deposit deadline for most schools?
I believe the ABA requires that schools give you until April 1 at least. Some schools are more generous and give you until April 15 or later, but a lot are April 1.

There's also a lot of variation in how much the seat deposits are, though $400 to $500 seems typical. I saw one school that had no seat deposit and simply wanted a written commitment to attend by April 15. However almost every school is going to want that deposit.

There's also typically a second deposit due in June or July. If you ride a WL past then and then take an offer from another school, you'll lose both seat deposits in that case. That's just the way the system works; you're paying for the right to attend at that point, and even if you don't you were still paying for that right.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:40 am

You can't get a refund on seat deposits, but they are not binding. You can make a deposit at one school and then attend another--you'll just have to eat the lost seat deposit.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:50 am

BenJ wrote:You can't get a refund on seat deposits, but they are not binding. You can make a deposit at one school and then attend another--you'll just have to eat the lost seat deposit.
This is somewhat comforting. Might have to spend some extra dough but I won't be stuck anywhere.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:58 am

newyorker88 wrote:
BenJ wrote:You can't get a refund on seat deposits, but they are not binding. You can make a deposit at one school and then attend another--you'll just have to eat the lost seat deposit.
This is somewhat comforting. Might have to spend some extra dough but I won't be stuck anywhere.
Also, while it's always polite to tell schools that accepted or waitlisted you that you're no longer interested, this is especially true of schools where you make a deposit. So, if you end up making a deposit somewhere and then get off the waitlist at a school you'd rather attend, be sure to tell the school you deposited at that you will not be attending. If nothing else, it might get someone else in off the waitlist at that school a little faster and with a little less anxiety!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:07 am

BenJ wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
Also, while it's always polite to tell schools that accepted or waitlisted you that you're no longer interested, this is especially true of schools where you make a deposit. So, if you end up making a deposit somewhere and then get off the waitlist at a school you'd rather attend, be sure to tell the school you deposited at that you will not be attending. If nothing else, it might get someone else in off the waitlist at that school a little faster and with a little less anxiety!
Aww, BenJ, such a caring TLS'er.

lawman335

Bronze

Post by lawman335 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:18 am

yup one of my friend also got the same date..........

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”