What is the ranking cutoff thats worth going to law school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JSIM462

New

What is the ranking cutoff thats worth going to law school?

Post by JSIM462 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:07 am

I used to think I was smart with my 3.8 GPA (only non As being 100 level courses that I blew off). But the LSATs broke my spirit. I took them in June, but due to some factors did not study and received a 158. I decided I would apply to one school and if I didn't get in, I would not be heartbroken.

Then in November, on a whim, I told myself to try again. Study. Go for it. I registered without giving myself to think it over, knowing the money would make me take it seriously. For about 3 weeks I studied on and off, did problems,not timed. The last 2 weeks I picked up the pace. I was doing well too. Bought the Kaplan book. LG are second nature to me, no problems there. RC I am pretty consistently good with. But those damn LRs are going to kill me. I am so inconsistent with them. I could get 3 wrong, 9 wrong...there is no pattern. I know I don't have enough practice to get into the mid-high 160s like I wanted. Law school is important to me, but not the end of the world if I don't go. So when is law school not worth going to for someone who even has a job lined up (albeit a government job that doesn't pay too well)? Top 100?

Thoughts. Comments. Pity. All are welcome

cardinalandgold

Silver

Re: What is the ranking cutoff thats worth going to law school?

Post by cardinalandgold » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:10 am

Since you already have a job lined up, take some time off. Re-take the LSAT. With your GPA, a lot of doors will open if you can improve your score. Don't waste that GPA!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:12 am

Yale or hire

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:16 am

If you got a government job lined up and you are certain that is what you want to do then you may consider the cheapest rather than the highest rank as your determining factor. Keep in mind there will still be status snobbery in government but if you are looking at state or local government then state school is cheaper and you'll do just fine. For example U. Penn only recently began emphasizing tral lawyer training. Temple has been doing it for years and my Penn State advisor and a well known Philly lawyer said I should consider Temple if I am planning on working in a courtroom.

BTW, I agree with the above poster. DOn't waste that GPA> Even if you choose a state school you can get scholarships. Do every practice test available, spend 4-6 hours per day studying, 5 -6 days per week, for three months. Then retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”