Opinions please Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
amethyst

New

Opinions please

Post by amethyst » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:35 pm

I live in Northern California and am thinking about applying for law schools within NorCal however, I am feeling a little indecisive due to my options and was hoping to get some opinions.

I already have a career as an insurance liability adjuster and thus would only apply for part-time evening programs. The issue is my numbers. My cumulative GPA is 2.83, however, my first two years of college were taken over 10 years ago. After doing horrible the first two years, I took a couple of years off and attained a 3.55 in my last two years of study. I also have a LSAT of 155.

I have extensive work experience and life experience. I have worked as a case worker for federal parolees; an office manager for a law reform body; and finally a liability adjuster for an insurance company. I have worked and lived in two different foreign countries as well. Will my experience and my explanation of poor grades offer me a chance anywhere?

I don't care about top schools, however, I constantly read that it's not worth going to T4s because when you graduate you'll probably only make 60K a year and will be fronted with 100K debt. Certainly if that's the scenario it is not worth it. Ideally, I would like to attend McGeorge's evening division, but not sure if my numbers match quite.

Any thoughts? Frank opinions appreciated.

inordertologin

New

Re: Opinions please

Post by inordertologin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:46 pm

amethyst wrote:I live in Northern California and am thinking about applying for law schools within NorCal however, I am feeling a little indecisive due to my options and was hoping to get some opinions.

I already have a career as an insurance liability adjuster and thus would only apply for part-time evening programs. The issue is my numbers. My cumulative GPA is 2.83, however, my first two years of college were taken over 10 years ago. After doing horrible the first two years, I took a couple of years off and attained a 3.55 in my last two years of study. I also have a LSAT of 155.

Any thoughts? Frank opinions appreciated.
According to some people on this website, with the scores and gpa listed here, your best option is to find a gun and insert it into your mouth as soon as possible.

What do you want to do I suppose would be a good question.

amethyst

New

Post by amethyst » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:58 pm

inordertologin: Okay. Not really an option and not really valid advice.

Ideally, I would like to work in the insurance industry.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:01 pm

This is tricky because I don't really know anything about McGeorge and it's not on LSN or LSP which is where I would have directed you.

BUT their range is 3.01-3.5 and 155-159, so my advice to you would be to get your LSAT above a 160 and you should be golden. The higher the better though because it sounds like you're going to be looking for some merit aid.

As far as your GPA goes, I wouldn't sweat it too much. It sounds like you'll have a fairly compelling GPA addendum and there are plenty of people on these boards who are doing fine for themselves with sub-3.0 GPAs. Good luck.

dynomite

Bronze

Post by dynomite » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:16 pm

amethyst wrote:inordertologin: Okay. Not really an option and not really valid advice.
The guy was kidding.

I'm not sure how it works in the insurance industry, but I'd assume that a lot of insurance companies would be thrilled that you had a law degree more than caring about the school you got it from? That's a question for someone in the industry, ideally someone with a law degree who can speak to their experience and the salary implications.

With your scores and GPA it's pretty clear that you can get a law degree from somewhere. I don't know anything about schools in the NorCal region or how California law works, but from 45 seconds of poking around on google it seems like those unaccredited schools in Sacramento (where McGeorge is, yes?) -- Lincoln and Lorenzo -- have produced DAs and judges in California.

Ultimately, you have nothing to lose by applying (other than your application $, obviously). Why not send in an app for this cycle while you consider your options?

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:21 pm

Cooley, definitely Cooley.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”