Texas - Financial Aid Matching Program Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
John J. Rambo, Esq.

Bronze

Re: Texas - Financial Aid Matching Program

Post by John J. Rambo, Esq. » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:46 pm

Request denied. I went in with a few scholarships around 25k/year from a few schools ranked between UT and #20.

TheVoynichManuscript

New

Post by TheVoynichManuscript » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:28 am

John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:Request denied. I went in with a few scholarships around 25k/year from a few schools ranked between UT and #20.
Same here. Submitted a 24k/year offer from Vandy and was denied. Started with $0 from Texas.

jelizabeth88

New

Post by jelizabeth88 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:50 pm

To send them in do you just send in the request and in the information or also something about why you'd rather go to texas?

Havaianas

Bronze

Post by Havaianas » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:33 am

jelizabeth88 wrote:To send them in do you just send in the request and in the information or also something about why you'd rather go to texas?
I sent in a little blurb basically assuring them that Texas is really one of my top choices - but without some money it wouldn't make sense for me to go there over my other options. Apparently the committee met this past Friday so I'm waiting for an email to come tomorrow hopefully.

Applicant2010

Bronze

Post by Applicant2010 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:15 am

Havaianas wrote:I sent in a little blurb basically assuring them that Texas is really one of my top choices - but without some money it wouldn't make sense for me to go there over my other options. Apparently the committee met this past Friday so I'm waiting for an email to come tomorrow hopefully.
Did you hear back today? I sent my request the week of March 22nd and have not heard back.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:26 am

VerdiShmerdi wrote:http://www.utexas.edu/law/depts/finaid/ ... match.html

Here's the situation:

I applied ED (non-binding) to Texas as an out-of-state student with numbers that were almost exactly at the median. I was accepted in November and still haven't heard anything about scholarships. My sense is that I am not an attractive scholarship candidate for them this year.

The above program caught my eye the other day (I somehow overlooked it in previous visits to the website). I have a substantial award from a school that I would consider a peer (Minnesota), but I am not sure how UT would feel about that characterization.

Does anyone have experience/insight on this program?
I don't believe Minnesota is on the list. Consult Richard Montauk's book: How to Get Into the Top Law Schools. He discusses it in detail there.

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:49 am

I recieved additional money in the form of an instate tuition waiver plus $$$. However I withdrew yesterday, good luck to all.

Applicant2010

Bronze

Post by Applicant2010 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:50 pm

doinmybest wrote:I recieved additional money in the form of an instate tuition waiver plus $$$. However I withdrew yesterday, good luck to all.
If you don't mind, when did you submit your request and when/how did UT notify you of the scholarship award?

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:52 pm

Applicant2010 wrote:
doinmybest wrote:I recieved additional money in the form of an instate tuition waiver plus $$$. However I withdrew yesterday, good luck to all.
If you don't mind, when did you submit your request and when/how did UT notify you of the scholarship award?
FWIW

I submitted mine on a Wednesday evening and heard back Friday morning. They gave me a (very nice) call but had updated my financial aid info around 8 pm the night before, which had startled and confused me.

I went from $0 to in-state waiver and $7,000 a year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gmichaelbluth

Bronze

Post by gmichaelbluth » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:12 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Applicant2010 wrote:
FWIW

I submitted mine on a Wednesday evening and heard back Friday morning. They gave me a (very nice) call but had updated my financial aid info around 8 pm the night before, which had startled and confused me.

I went from $0 to in-state waiver and $7,000 a year.
Awesome improvement--congrats, Pear! What do you think encouraged them to boost your award so much (besides, of course, your charm and wit)?

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:14 pm

Applicant2010 wrote:
Submited on a thursday and heard back the next day by phone call & e-mail. I went from 45K to in-state plus 30K. The new scholarship was about 77K in total savings.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:25 pm

gmichaelbluth wrote: Awesome improvement--congrats, Pear! What do you think encouraged them to boost your award so much (besides, of course, your charm and wit)?
Haha, honestly? I'm not entirely sure. I was stunned by my offer (I was going in with a lower offer from a school rankled around 25), and the nice things the financial aid lady said to me when she called. I cried.

I did write a very (what I considered to be) thoughtful letter about my interest in their various reproductive justice and domestic violence campus groups, topics which my interest and experiences in are backed up both by extracurricular activies a fairly emotional personal statement.

Maybe that was it, that would be my only guess. It was pretty shocking, I feel like I heard back much quicker than most people and had incredible luck.

...Or maybe it was completely impersonal and my numbers just fit the profile they thought they could get that would help/keep their median LSAT and also had a really high shot of attending? :)

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:26 pm

Hey Pearalegal, congrats on Texas!!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:27 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:Hey Pearalegal, congrats on Texas!!!!
Thanks friend!

Havaianas

Bronze

Post by Havaianas » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:51 pm

Applicant2010 wrote:
Havaianas wrote:I sent in a little blurb basically assuring them that Texas is really one of my top choices - but without some money it wouldn't make sense for me to go there over my other options. Apparently the committee met this past Friday so I'm waiting for an email to come tomorrow hopefully.
Did you hear back today? I sent my request the week of March 22nd and have not heard back.
Haven't heard anything today even though the finaid lady told me yesterday that they were meeting (on monday) and would have the decisions by email this morning. Lies

Applicant2010

Bronze

Post by Applicant2010 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:12 pm

Havaianas wrote:
Applicant2010 wrote:
Haven't heard anything today even though the finaid lady told me yesterday that they were meeting (on monday) and would have the decisions by email this morning. Lies
Haha. I'd like to hope a slow response equals big money. Post back when you get the email!

Havaianas

Bronze

Post by Havaianas » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:46 pm

Yeah hopefully! They said that they didn't meet the last two Fridays due to the admitted students events but I feel like they cant delay it much longer - the deposit date is coming up!
Applicant2010 wrote:
Havaianas wrote:
Applicant2010 wrote:
Haha. I'd like to hope a slow response equals big money. Post back when you get the email!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Havaianas

Bronze

Post by Havaianas » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:47 am

Just got the email and success! PM me if youre curious for details

Applicant2010

Bronze

Post by Applicant2010 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:55 pm

Also got the email today! I received the 171/172 scholarship amount of 84K and used scholarships from Vandy, Duke & Michigan to match. Good luck to those who are still waiting.

gmichaelbluth

Bronze

Post by gmichaelbluth » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:25 am

Success! So excited:).

Havaianas

Bronze

Post by Havaianas » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 am

gmichaelbluth wrote:Success! So excited:).
yay congrats!!! After visiting this weekend I totally fell in love with Austin. I may just be putting in my deposit this week...:)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sylvernight

New

Post by sylvernight » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:58 am

bmontminy wrote:I sent in my request via e-mail last monday containing a Full-Ride to Baylor (only applied to Baylor and UT)...I'm not terribly hopefuly, but would be nice if I could get at least a small scholly to make it feel like they really do want me there, and would definitely help me make my decision between the two :| .
I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know if Bmontminy had any luck? I also have a full ride from Baylor, and I'm wondering about my chances with the matching program.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”