Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Cupidity

Gold

Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Post by Cupidity » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:06 pm

So, I went back and forth on this for a while, whether or not to lock myself in at UVA, because it is my best shot at the T-14, and I really do like the school.

My stats are 166/3.87, 3 Solid LOR's and good soft factors.

I originally applied on 11/11, and I am still only "Complete/Pending Decision", UVA extended their ED deadline, so I'm thinking about switching tommorow. Has anyone done this, gone RD-->ED? I'm going to call the admissions office to notify them that I'm submitting the binding decision form, and depending on the conversation, possibly sending a follow up email to make sure they don't review my file first.

Also, what do you think my odds are? Sure, I applied early, but I'm switching to ED very late in the game, does that throw off my chances?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:08 pm

With that GPA and your softs you have a shot if you ED. I think you're pretty weak RD honestly.

Rawlsian

Bronze

Post by Rawlsian » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:10 pm

OP, what has been holding you back, Berkeley?

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:12 pm

I didn't ED because I wanted to try for Cornell, or $$ from BU, BC. I got no $ at BU in initial mailer, and I got WL at BC, I'm fairly certain it was YP because everyone who had the same decision date as me had stats that were equal or better. Still no word from Cornell, but I figure that is 50/50. ED at UVA, I hope, will get me up to at least 50/50. Berkeley has always been a dream, and GLBT should help me out there in Cali, but I've always known Berkeley is a 5% shot at best.

Rawlsian

Bronze

Post by Rawlsian » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:16 pm

I say go for it: there doesn't seem to be much of a trade-off if you ed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:18 pm

Rawlsian wrote:I say go for it: there doesn't seem to be much of a trade-off if you ed.
Yeah, I throw Cornell out the window, and possibly pass up a chance at $$ from BU later or a school like Fordham, but I think I'm OK with that. Should I send them an email now to notify them, then call and mail tommorow, or will the call/mail be sufficient.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:20 pm

edit: never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:20 pm

thesealocust wrote:WTF are you waiting for? Your numbers SCREAM at you to ED to UVA. You will not get into a better school. You are exactly - EXACTLY - at the point where that ED contract can lever you into a top 10 program. Fucking do it.
+1

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:22 pm

Email now, mail it tomorrow. I did the same thing you're planning to, did not have to call. You should do it ASAP, they could make a decision on your app at any second.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:22 pm

Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:24 pm

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:26 pm

I have been under consideration at UVA since November. When did they change their ED deadline? Given that I haven't moved/been rejected, does this mean that they will hold my application till after March 1st? Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm a splitter and it seems a lot of schools are taking their time with me.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:26 pm

thesealocust wrote:Have you done it yet? If you haven't you should. Don't make me start PMing you.
I'm making sure it's well worded, lol. I'll probably post it here for scrutiny before I do.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:27 pm

Cupidity wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Have you done it yet? If you haven't you should. Don't make me start PMing you.
I'm making sure it's well worded, lol. I'll probably post it here for scrutiny before I do.
Seriously? I don't think they care. Mine was like two sentences.

Rawlsian

Bronze

Post by Rawlsian » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:29 pm

Looking at the last three cycles from a strictly numbers perspective, I'd say you have a strong (40-45%) chance.

http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... ,8&type=jd

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:29 pm

We're now one step away from resorting to physical violence to "encourage" ED applications. What's next, "Do it now or I break your kneecaps?"

ctn8

New

Post by ctn8 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:30 pm

Cupidity wrote:So, I went back and forth on this for a while, whether or not to lock myself in at UVA, because it is my best shot at the T-14, and I really do like the school.

My stats are 166/3.87, 3 Solid LOR's and good soft factors.

I originally applied on 11/11, and I am still only "Complete/Pending Decision", UVA extended their ED deadline, so I'm thinking about switching tommorow. Has anyone done this, gone RD-->ED? I'm going to call the admissions office to notify them that I'm submitting the binding decision form, and depending on the conversation, possibly sending a follow up email to make sure they don't review my file first.

Also, what do you think my odds are? Sure, I applied early, but I'm switching to ED very late in the game, does that throw off my chances?

I was in the exact same situation a few weeks back as you are now (initially a RD applicant, essentially the same numbers) when I sent in my ED form. I was waitlisted about 10 days later. Not really surprising considering that's what TLS Stats have been predicting; people in our range have almost exclusively been put on the waitlist. I still think it's worth a shot for you, though, considering what you say are strong softs.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:31 pm

GOOD LUCK!!! I say go for it! :mrgreen:

pollaclc

Bronze

Post by pollaclc » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:33 pm

when's the new deadline?

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:35 pm

pollaclc wrote:when's the new deadline?
When apps are due. March 1st I believe.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:35 pm

I wouldn't e-mail it now--no one's in the office anyway. I would fill out the contract and have it ready to go, then call Jason Dugas tomorrow and alert him directly. Adding any personal touch you can to your application will help you, even ED. When you call, be excited and express your sincere interest. Make sure he gets your name, and he will make a note to look for it.

Good luck.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:02 pm

showNprove wrote:I wouldn't e-mail it now--no one's in the office anyway. I would fill out the contract and have it ready to go, then call Jason Dugas tomorrow and alert him directly. Adding any personal touch you can to your application will help you, even ED. When you call, be excited and express your sincere interest. Make sure he gets your name, and he will make a note to look for it.

Good luck.
Call who? Lol. Instead, can you burst into his office dramatically and tell him, old-school telegram style?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:45 pm

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:26 am

I am in sort of the same boat. 168/3.75 WL. I love UVA, but I'm not sure I can commit to the debt.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:28 am

rad law wrote:I am in sort of the same boat. 168/3.75 WL. I love UVA, but I'm not sure I can commit to the debt.
Not to be a weird stalker, what T-20 Private UG is in FL?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”