IP/Patent Law Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mailbuaces

New

IP/Patent Law

Post by mailbuaces » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:52 am

I am interested in studying IP law. I have a BS in Software Engineering and I am also planning to get a Master's degree in Software Engineering. I wanted to know if it's an advantage to have a Master's degree in terms of the job prospects before starting my JD program. I will have to stay in school for another year but if its worth it, I am planning to follow that route. Any insight would be helpful. I am also taking the patent bar this summer.

jerjon2

Bronze

Re: IP/Patent Law

Post by jerjon2 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:28 am

mailbuaces wrote:I am interested in studying IP law. I have a BS in Software Engineering and I am also planning to get a Master's degree in Software Engineering. I wanted to know if it's an advantage to have a Master's degree in terms of the job prospects before starting my JD program. I will have to stay in school for another year but if its worth it, I am planning to follow that route. Any insight would be helpful. I am also taking the patent bar this summer.
If you're going to get a Master's I would think and MSEE would make you a lot more marketable than graduate work in pure software. This is also something you should be following: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news ... -ready.ars

That case is part of the reason I think an MSEE would make you a lot more marketable when contrasted with another pure software degree. Keep in mind though, I'm not a patent attorney (yet) or in law school (yet). So, my opinion could very well be misinformed.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”